1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£300 to spend- Denon or Yamaha? help needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by neonmod, Nov 3, 2004.

Tags:
  1. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am looking to buy a new amp or receiver and i have a budget of £300.

Problem is i don't know which one is the best for this price.

I have had a look at the denons avr 1705 and 1905 also yamahas rx-v 450rds.

I hear that these up convert composite / S-video etc.. to component , which i will need.

Problem is they all have good reviews and i am stuck between the two makes!! :zonked:

Also would i benefit from an amp only and not a receiver as i don't use the radio much but it is a nice feature.

Please anyone can you help me decide, what are your reveiws / thoughts on these amps.

I will be using it with the Tannoy FX 6.1 Speaker system!

Thanks, :smashin:

2. ramzez

ramzez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    for 300 - Denon
    saw online Yamaha 650 for 329

3. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure component upsampling doesn't appear on the 1905. Historically this was on the 3803 model but not 2803 and below, you get component output, but it only passes through what's come in the component inputs. Anything that comes into the amp through composite stays that way.
    Check denon's web site, if it's on there you can bet they're advertising the fact ;)

4. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I've owned both Yamaha and Denon amps, I always found that Denon amps sounded better than the equivalently priced Yamaha with music but that Yamaha had a bit more "oomph" with films. In the end I went for the Denon as music quality was more important to me than film sound.

I haven't heard either of the amps in question mind, it maybe this rule no longer holds true...

5. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the previous Yamaha model DSP-AX640SE, and it won the award for best AV amp under £500 last year. It retailed at £400, I picked one up for £300, and I believe you can now get one for around £220! (If you buy online that is)

In my opinion the amp is superb for the money (even at £300). Excellent sound and build. Having said that, I havent heard the Denon amp so I cant compare. They may be as good. All I can say is you cant go wrong with the Yamaha models.

6. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy Trump
    "I always found that Denon amps sounded better than the equivalently priced Yamaha with music"

i think that changed now after Yamaha introduced the stereo "Pure Direct mode" on all it's new generation models, RXV650/750/1500/2500/Z9

7. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neonmod

Have you rthought about buying from Germany - you can get the Yamaha RX-V750 for under £330 delivered, with warranty. Hate to deny UK suppliers of business but rip off Britain really does itself no favours with luxury goods.

Ian

8. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian, I didn't know you could get the RX-V750 so cheaply from within Europe. I bought my DSP-AX750 for £400.

Neonmod,
    I'm pretty sure that the Yamaha RX-V450 doesn't upconvert composite/S-Video to component video. Even the RX-V650 only does composite to S-video upconversion. The component video upconversion is available from the RX-V750/DSP-AX750 model upwards.

Regards,
    reservoir51