1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£300 to spend a new 6.1 receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dunky, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Dunky

Dunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys, I'm hoping to get some advice that will help narrow the field a bit. Yes, I have run a search on the forums, but I still seem to be going round in circles. I haven't had this much stress since trying to choose my new widescreen TV last year.....

Budget: £300

Use: Mainly dvd's but would like to be able to listen to music through it without whincing (will be the only music source in my sitting room).

Options:
    Marantz SR5300 - was pretty much sold on this amp until I unearthed the threads on the sound delay issues. Will this "feature" drive me insane?
    Yamaha RX-V630 - Great with movies but limited musicality?
    Pioneer VSX-D811 - Movie master but musical muppet?
    Denon 2802 or 1803 - Great build quality but a little limited on inputs/outputs?

I should also say that I was hoping to run an Elac Cinema 1 (6.1) speaker set-up with the chosen amp. I don't know a great deal about speakers but I hear that the Elacs have impedence of 4 ohm which will mean that the amp will have to work pretty hard. Are all of the amps listed above up to the job?

Opinions welcome because if I spend any more time surfing the net for answers, I'll probably get fired and all talk of upgrading will become academic!

Cheers

Duncan

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Denon 2802 has no lack of inputs / outputs - If you can get one and can live with the looks it's a good buy for under £300.

As an owner of a pioneer I would say that it's a great amp with movies as you said & yes it's poor with music but realistically they all are, that's why I'd never have a 1803 as it has no pre-outs.

If I was buying today, I'd go for the 2802 or a second hand 3802

3. Chris Tr

Chris Tr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just gone through exactly the same trama. I was set
    on the Marantz, until I read all the horror stories. I'm afraid the
    time delay would drive me up the wall.
    Then I decided on the Yam 630. Went to buy but heard the 640
    was due out.
    Then visited the Yam web site, downloaded all the bumf.
    After much reading and getting a reality check.
    I decided on the Yam 440 as this does everything the 640 does but at very slighty less power. Also all the extra inputs the 640
    does I do not need.
    I got mine from Unbeatable for £220, saved myself over £100 on
    the 640 and it does everything and more that I was after.
    Can't recommend it enough. I run Mission speakers with it.

My room is about 18 foot by 15 foot, and it gives more than enough power. Never had it anywhere near full power.

Cheers

Chris Tr

4. Rommel

Rommel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For what it's worth:
    I made a similar choice about 3 months ago, and went for the Denon 1803 - the lack of pre-outs isn't an issue for me, and I found that the stereo performance was fine by my standards.
    It's coupled to a Denon DVD900 (via co-ax) which is reasonable as a cd player and excellent for DVD (in my opinion & set-up).
    The 1803 has got more than enough power for my speaker set-up, AE Evos, in a room 18'x15'. I coupled it with one of Uncle Eric's fine CHT-10s which fills in everything the speakers lack at the low end. The amp has quite a dry sound, but how apparent this will be depends on your speakers - it's quite a good match for the Evo's.
    One comment I would make is that with some soundtracks (by no means all), dialogue can be a little difficult to make out at low volumes. I think this depends on the recording more than anything else, and it's not a problem with Sky thru PLII. It seems to be mainly on some older DD soundtracks, I've not noticed it on DTS scores.
    Hope this helps.
    Simon

5. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris Tr

The Yamaha 440 gets a stunning writeup in the most recent What Hi-Fi, is that the model that you got? (It's £290 in Sevenoaks Hi-Fi.) I'm after an av amo and have been frightened off Marantz by the friends on this forum, so is amp a double thumbs up from you then?

Cheers

Dude

6. Dunky

Dunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input so far guys. I've read the review of the Yamaha and must say that I was impressed by the spec and the glowing write-up. A couple of things worry me about it flexibility in the future: 1) it lacks pre-outs, 2) there are only two digital inputs. For that kind of money, though, I may have to give it a demo.

Duncan

7. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It's well worth getting an amp with pre-out - you may think now that stereo sounds fine passed through an av amp but you'll wake up in a cold sweat one night realising what a horrible mistake you've made.

A 440 for £290 ain't good value for money - £30 less than I paid for a Pioneer 811 and more than a 630. Don't be seduced by the lure of saving a few quid now and then having to uograde again in six months time when your upgraditis will have convinced you that you want an integrated amp to play CDs through.

8. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Not sure what you have decided but i would recommend the Marantz without hesitation.
    The sound delay really is nothing ,i have almost forgotten about it because it seems to be under half a second anyway.

Sounds great, looks gorgeous in gold and is great with music too.

9. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Ricky27 with regards to Marantz.

My yamaha 630 is great for films, but my Marantz SR4200 I had before was far better for music (Although it can't beat the yammy for movies IMO).

Regards

Jimmysil

10. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    People talk about the difference between the two as if it were night and day. it really isnt. i can listen to music on my yammy and enjoy it. I mean, actually enjoy it. Wether i'm relaxing to Sting, or really cranking it up with Busta Rhymes or Janet jackson, my toes are a'tapping every single time.

...Isn't THAT what its really about?

11. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd totally forgotten about the sound delay until I read this thread! I barely notice it now, and the SR5300 is an excellent all-rounder. Plus in Gold finish it looks the nuts! :)

12. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes James is quite correct, at the end of the day if your toe is taping thats all that matters.

So have a listen to the amps in a shop and see what you prefere.

13. Dunky

Dunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all of the advice. Looks like I'll be auditioning the Yammy 630 and Marantz 5300. Time to start a new thread on speakers!

Duncan

14. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunky,
    Whereabouts in Surrey are you...? I have a Marantz 5300 up and running in the Epsom area and you are welcom to come 'round for a demo...

15. Chris Tr

Chris Tr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dude 1971,

I have got the Yam 440 thats reviewed in What HI FI. I paid
    £220 for it from unbeatable, as far as I am concerned its the
    "Bees Knees". Music sounds great to me. But do not forget
    Marantz or Yamaha, they are AV amps not sterio Hi Fi amps.
    I think it sounds fine. I doubt if you would actually hear much
    difference between the two in a normal setup.

I plumbed for the Yammy as it is supposed to be the best for films
    which is its primary job, plus the bad posts in this forum on the Marantz.

But listen to them both and make your mind up. But at £220
    for the 440 that has more than everything I wanted it just has to be a bargain. As I said in my previous post, I do not see the need to spend the extra on the 640, when this does all I need.

Cheers

Chris Tr