£300 Subwoofer Budget

DavieW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I've had my speaker system for nigh on 9 years, but I've never added a subwoofer. I have B&W DM603's (Series 1) for main L&R, a B&WCC6 centre and a pair of B&W DS6 for the surrounds.

As the title of this post suggests, I have a budget of around £300 for a sub, it must be black to match the other speakers. Can anyone suggest a model - so I can finally put the '.1' into '5.1'?

Cheers,
Dave

I will put good money on that the main suggestion you get from the sub experts in here will be the BK XLS 200. £289.00 delivered and by all account a excellent sub....looking at getting one myself

I will put good money on that the main suggestion you get from the sub experts in here will be the BK XLS 200. £289.00 delivered and by all account a excellent sub....looking at getting one myself

Mine arrived today and I have 603 S2's as my mains I'll let you know how I get on later :D

S.

If maximum bang for your buck is what you're after, then the Servo 15 would be fantastic (if quite large and not very pretty) value and unmatched by any other suggestion in this thread. Great sub.

Brand new, the XLS-200 is pretty much in a class of one and if new is a must, then it's a no brainer.

The second hand M&k or REL is a possibility but is dependent upon the sub in question. I can't think of a single small REL that's worth spending £300 on and the smaller ST Series subs will only crop up for that money of they're older versions. Only the Strata or above are worthy of consideration.

Likewise with M&K. They often have over inflated second hand prices with a number of the smaller models (KX-10) etc not being very good at all. I've heard the VX-860 on numerous occasions and that was very nice, but second hand, it sold for more that the SVS SB12 does new and IMHO didn't offer any performance advantages.

If second hand is a possibility, I'd add the B&W ASW-675 to your list but first you've got to find one.

Russell

If second hand is a possibility, I'd add the B&W ASW-675 to your list but first you've got to find one.

You may be in luck Dave as I have one of these to sell :thumbsup:

It's in an oakish finish, but that did not look out of place with my black 600 series 2 speakers. At least it's a matching B&W! In fact it's the most powerful of the range and the smallest too.

It really is excellent, but I'm making a new lounge in my basement and will indulge in a monster sub :D.

I would let it go for your budget, but you would need to allow for postage on top (fully boxed in manufacturers packaging). Please post a wanted ad in the classifieds if you want to take it further.

I didn't have a sub for many years as I thought the 603s were meaty enough, but getting one was a revelation!

Graham

Mine arrived today and I have 603 S2's as my mains I'll let you know how I get on later :D

S.

It is perfect, music and movies in my size room with my level of kit I can't fault it at all.

S.

Just bought a second hand SVS SB12+ for £300 anyone compared that to a BK XLS 200?

It is perfect, music and movies in my size room with my level of kit I can't fault it at all.

S.

what kit and room sizes do you have?

did you set it all with a spl meter and test tunes?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom