1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£300 sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by scrapbook, Nov 5, 2004.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I have finally go to the stage where the only thing I have left to upgrade from my original all in one system is my sub.

I have two main requirements other than the obvious that it has be a good one! It has to be
    - reasonably compact
    - available in silver

The three I have found that seem to meet my needs are:
    - MS409
    - MJ Reference 100
    - REL Quake

I think that the BK XLS200 is too deep for the space allocated for it in the living room by 'er in doors :mad: !

Does anyone have anythoughs on the best of those three or can recommend anything similar?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Scrapbook alot of people seem to give the MS range of subs the thumbs up the Rel is alittle too polite for my likeing but can't comment on the MJ subs as never heard any.

John

3. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Thanks for remembering me Tom!

I have another question for you though if I may. I was reading the thread on the budget sub test again and it seemed to indicate the sub wasn't shielded and there was some interference with a TV. Is that the case?

5. BK Electronics

BK Electronics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Alan

The XLS200 uses a peerless XLS10 drive unit that is NOT shielded, although it has a double magnet system that reduces the magnetic field there is still enough of a magnetic field to disrupt a CRT, if you get the sub too close to a TV. Now how close is close?. My monitor at work sits on a bench 75 cm's above the floor and I can put an XLS200 directly under the monitor without a problem so I guess you would need to keep the sub about a 1 metre from the TV.

Hope this is of help

Tom

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The BK only really caused TV problems when it was stacked on another sub, ie. at screen level. Certainly best to keep a metre or so away as Tom said.

7. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My BK sub is directly to the right of the TV on the floor (the centre is about 60cm from the bottom RH corner of the screen) and it doesn't interfere with the picture, AFAICT. It's off-axis though, which I imagine might help things.

BTW, love the new version. :smoke:

8. moby78

moby78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I originally put my BK around 50cm behind one of the corners of my TV and there was a slight bending of electrons causing some discolouration. Its now around 70cm away and there are no problems.

FYI my TV is sitting on an Apollo stand just above the height of the sub.

9. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tom,

I'm unsure as to which one of the xls200 models to go for, down-firing or forward?

If the performance, bass quality etc is the same from either design, then what criteria should be used in choosing one over the other, or is it just a case of choose the one which looks better to me?

What about positioning, room surfaces, flooring, room size? Should they influence my choice.
    For reference, my room is 5m long by 4m wide by 3 m high with wooden flooring (on top of floorboards).
    Because the sub cannot go within a metre of the TV, there is only really one place it can go, the front left corner.
    Does this info suggest to you that I should be leaning towards one of the designs over the other, with respect to getting the most out of the sub given the characteristics of the room.

Btw Tom, the picture of the down-firing version on the website - is that light oak or cherry? And how long would it take to get the sub (either version) if I ordered today?

10. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I'd gp for the downward firing one as i've heard this design is usually better than forward firing in the way the bass interacts with the floor. Also downward firing looks a lot better IMO.

11. BK Electronics

BK Electronics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Belgrade

The XLS200-DF on the website is a cherry veneer, if you look at theh forward firing one in light oak http://www.bkelec.com/new/Special_Offers/Light_Oak.htm this will give you some idea of the finish. Light Oak is available from stock and Cherry early next week.

If you need further help please could you email me tom@bkelec.com

Tom

12. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    im actually just about to sell my rel quake but is black but gonna be a complete bargain at about 200 quid just in case you wanna save some cash. sorry to hijack the thread but just thought you might be interested.