1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£300 my Sub budget. Is that enough?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by simonrossi, Oct 16, 2001.

1. simonrossi

simonrossi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am upgrading my old Pro logic system to 5.1 and am forced to consider a sub. I am most concerned that the sub does not stick out like a sore thumb sonically speaking.
    However i only have £300 to play with.
    Should I not bother and save, or are there any really good subs for £300. I was considering the Solid PB100 or the yamaha YSTSW300. My main speakers are JBL4410 studio monitors which have a 10"" woofer anyway. My listening room is rectangular 13ft wide by 18ft long, with lots of sound absorbing fabric surfaces.
    Would really appreciate any pointers on purchase or positioning of sub.

Thanks to all who reply!!

Luv
    Simon :confused:

2. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't think this is enough Candy mate. The subwoofer in an integral part of your system. Save a bit longer £500+ gets you a first class subwoofer

Regards

3. John F

John F
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    on this budget you should be able to get the yamaha 320 this is the best sub under £500 and sounds great it can be had for around £275 or save a bit more for one of the rel's

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The current edition of What Hifi tests MJ Acoustics Pro 50 sub which is priced at £299. It is small and earned five stars with comments like "It is good - very good, in fact"

I have never seen them advertised though.

Position isn't anywhere as critical as main speakers as bass isn't directional. I currently have mine outside the main stereo pair with no problems but in the past have had it within with no problems either.

Regards

Ian

[ 21-10-2001: Message edited by: Ian J ]

5. slay

slay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use a msw20 from richer sounds - 149 quid.

Its awesome, can lift ornaments of next doors mantlepiece.

:)))))))))

6. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The rel Q150 is an excellent sub and might still be avaliable for £400 at www.laservision.co.uk

Its critical where the sub goes for most people but its place in a room can make a huge difference in how it sounds.
    Most people will end up with their subs in the corner of the room out of convience.If you do this a good idea is to angle it so it faces 45 degs into the room. This helps reduce boomy room gain buy NOT having a wall running parallel with it.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    I was looking at the Paradigm PS1000 because I was very pleased with the PDR10 I have in my lounge.

The PS1000 has 130w, and goes down to 24hz. It's not as tight as a Rel, but looks good value for money. try www.paradigm.com for info and reviews. Richer Sounds sell them.

A Rel is the Rolls Royce of subs, and you can get a Q200E for £380 if you're quick - there's some advertised in the classified section, so hurry! (ex demo).

Best thing you can do is to read lots of reviews and get a few demo's in. A demo is probably the only way to tell if you can really notice the tighter subs when compared with the (nornaly) cheaper ones. If a sub is twice the price of another, you have to decide is it twice as good, and therefore worth the price?

What Hi-Fi are doing a collectuion of sub reviews in the next magazine, so you may be able to get a subjective idea of what is the best sub for your money. The latest mag did a good round-ip of sub £200 bookshelf speakers which I found was very interesting and informative.

HTH

Gary.

HTH

8. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The Paradigm servo 15 is a very good sub if you can stretch to £499. Richer sounds usually have them in stock. You get a 14 day home trial which is worth taking advantage of, as you really need to try them in your own room and experiment with positioning etc. Give it a try if you can.

Rob.

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Got to agree with you there Rob,

I've actualy mentioned that sub to someone who had a budget of around £600. After seeing the spec', and reading the HCC review, I would definately give it a test - it looks like a seriously good sub for home cinema, and at an excellent price too.

If I had the room and was able to use it (400w!!) I would buy one tommorrow. I've got a Richer catalogue that actualy has it priced at £799.95, so being able to get it for £500 now has got to be Bargain of the Year. :)

Gary.

10. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im sure youll find you cant get the servo 15 anymore.
    Richer no longer advertise it in there recent adds (cept one odd one i saw).And its not avalible from their web site either.

11. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33

12. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AH then i stand corrected.
    Im still going the diy route personaly though.

13. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    What drive unit and amp are you thinking of using Riddler?

I'm biilding a sub based on the Adire Audio Tempest (15"er), and it's gonna be big (well actually it IS big, and I can't carry it up stairs on my own now!).

I've posted pics and designs of it on the Yahoo Home Cinema Chat UK site if you are interested.

Good luck.