£300 max Open back wired around the ears headphones - Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals?

Maxson

I'm looking to replace my AKG Y50s with something better. Any deals? I'm going to connect them wired to the front panel of my PC which apparently has a decent headphone amp built in and can work with 250ohm sets (Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO according to reddit) or possibly higher IDK. I don't like having hot crushed ears and I like to hear my phone ring, the doorbell or my wife call me so it's open and circumnaural(?) unlike my Y50s.

Headphone amp + cans could be possible. But I'd like to avoid desk clutter. Plus is a £300 set of headphones better than a £150 amp and 150 headphones? I think probably yes!

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
I'm looking to replace my AKG Y50s with something better. Any deals? I'm going to connect them wired to the front panel of my PC which apparently has a decent headphone amp built in and can work with 250ohm sets (Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO according to reddit) or possibly higher IDK. I don't like having hot crushed ears and I like to hear my phone ring, the doorbell or my wife call me so it's open and circumnaural(?) unlike my Y50s.

HD600s and similar are excellent and super comfortable. An alternative might be the shure TW1 wireless adaptor and a good set of iems . You can buy them with the SE215 for I think about £220 or alternatively pair them with a more expensive pair ( I use SE535).

Very comfortable and they have a switchable environment mode that pipes in the ambient environment . Otherwise sound isolation is pretty much like earplugs.

Headphone amp + cans could be possible. But I'd like to avoid desk clutter. Plus is a £300 set of headphones better than a £150 amp and 150 headphones? I think probably yes!

I would tend to agree with you . Headphone amps are nice to have but not as important as the phones themselves.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Beyerdynamic house signature is to boost the treble region, which will give you the perception of improved fake detail. They are popular for those who want that quality but it is at the expense of smoothness, tone and realism. That's not meant to be a knock on anyone who enjoys wonky treble presentation. It's like buying flawed cars. Human beings are like that

N3ptun3m00n

Have yourself a look at HiFiman sundaras. They are excellent value for money and get amazing reviews.

I completely agree with Steven above about the Beyers, I find them fatiguing on my ears due to the over zealous top ends.

pixelpidgeon

Distinguished Member
currently using a pair of moondrop starfields with a fiio btr5 with my phone out and about. sounds great due to the fiio's ldac support. Good sound for the money, i managed to snag the fiio off here...but seems a bit hard to get hold of at mo.

Last edited:

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member

TheHighFlyingBirds

Amazon had the philips x2hr for £105 but they've gone up to £150ish. I managed to nab a pair, and from the quick demo (xmas present so cant use them propererly) with them I am well impressed for the price. They sounded good with my yamaha AS-501 and have just got the zen dac and got to try them for 5 mins with it, and again they sound excellent.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Information would assist. Are the headphones for music, TV and films or gaming. What improvements to the sound of the old headphones being replaced is relevant. Or what aspect of the sound was 'lacking'. Something "better" does not really inform

I have not heard them myself but based on trusted ears the HD560S are much ado about nothing and are not HD600 / HD650 giant killers. Designed to appeal to YouTube reviewers who get free product and obsess over the measured linearity of Topping DACs

Throwing a dart and guessing, the Phillips are likely to give better first impressions but I would only buy at the previous Amazon discount price

Disclaimer: happy owner of a Sennheiser HD600 since 2008 that you would have to prise out of my cold dead hands now that production has been moved to Romania and they have made the packaging cheaper

Maxson

Information would assist. Are the headphones for music, TV and films or gaming. What improvements to the sound of the old headphones being replaced is relevant. Or what aspect of the sound was 'lacking'. Something "better" does not really inform.
The headphones will be for all of those uses. Mostly games and music but I do watch TV and films on the computer as well. Music is classical to dubstep via some pop & rock. The detail of my existing headphones is lacking and the sound is very closed in. I like bass tight and lean with plenty of extension and the Y50s have a good amount of bass, maybe too much and its's more boombox than hi-fi. They aren't bad, they sound nice in a fuzzy way, about what you expect from a £50 pair.

I'm hoping for the sound of my floorstanding speakers without waking up my wife or the neighbours.

I have not heard them myself but based on trusted ears the HD560S are much ado about nothing and are not HD600 / HD650 giant killers. Designed to appeal to YouTube reviewers who get free product and obsess over the measured linearity of Topping DACs.
I see. I've read they have near the sound of a HD600 / 650 but with better bass extension. (apparently they start to roll off around 80hz)

Throwing a dart and guessing, the Phillips are likely to give better first impressions but I would only buy at the previous Amazon discount price.
My impression is the Phillips X2 are the predecessor of the X3 which are very well reviewed here and therefore a bargain below £200. Philips Fidelio X3 Home Headphone Review

Disclaimer: happy owner of a Sennheiser HD600 since 2008 that you would have to prise out of my cold dead hands now that production has been moved to Romania and they have made the packaging cheaper
A friendly person on another forum tried the HD600 with the same motherboard I have and the 300 ohms seemed to him to be on the upper limit of what the built in amp can handle. Some reviews saying the bass extension for those is lacking compared to others so I'm not sure about getting those.

Last edited:

EM21

Novice Member
Haven't seen any deals but I can point you in the right direction:

Grados are excellent, my father wons a pair of Grado GR10e earphones which sund exceptional and I've heard nothing but good things from them.

Audeze are also supposed to be spectacular, though I haven't tried them. If you coulld pick a pair of the LCD-1s up for under £300 that would be a bargain.

Beyerdynamic are also a good brand to pick up. My sister has some of their earphones and the build quailty is fantastic.

I've had multiple earphones and heaphones from Denon. Pound for pound, they're the best on the market imo. Sometimes, you can pick up the MM-400s really cheap. In the past I've seen them go uner £200s whcih is execptional value for what you're getting.

I have a pair of Final Audio Design F7200s. The build quailty is simply the best I've ever had (better than MEE Pinacle 1's which were also fanatstic aside from the filters). The sound is spectacular as well. I've heard incredible things about their headphones though final can be tough to find.

Audio-Technica are also a fantastc brand, if you can pick some up cheap, they'll be nice.

I have listened to Sennheisers, specifcally their Momentums and personally did not like them. Too much bass, slightly muffled and don't have enough trable or clarity for my liking. I listened to them on a HIFIMAN HM802s with the MINIBOX Gold Amp Card and an Arcam AVR280. Wasn't impressed.

Master & Dynamic are also very good.

As for places to look, Ebay is always a good shout actually. Can get some good deals there, praticularly open-box stuff.

Audio Sactuary is where I picked up an Astell&Kern SP100M on Blck Friday for €1,125 plus a case, all in which is extremely good considering it retails at $2,400 (not including the case) from Astell&Kern directly.

HiFiHeadphones.co.uk also do some really good deals on open-box and refurbished stuff. They have some good deals on Finals right now.

Hifihut is where we picked up those Grados, open box.

Richersounds can be quite good as well.

Hope that points you in some good directions anyway!

kungfuman

can i also make a suggestion, sennheiser hd599 SE. these are currently available from the sennheiser uk outlet for a bargain at £76 delivered. although stated as b stock, mines were practically brand new. they were at amazon for £99 during black friday but back up to £119 now.

i compared these to the philips x2hr which i also got from the amazon black friday deal. i still have these but i plan on returning them. the x2hr is good for the price, but it's a 'v' shape sound and i found them too artificial. bass and treble are just too boosted for my liking and mid/voices are too recessed. it's slightly bright sound which can be fatiguing. the sennheiser hd599 on the other hand are very neutral and accurate. top quality sennheiser sound. i've not heard any other sennheisers but it generally gets positive reviews and comparable to the hd600.

another factor to consider is comfort. the hd599 feels like i'm not wearing headphones as they are very light (not much clamp force) and the cups are very comfortable. the x2hr on the other hand is heavier and i can definitely feels the extra mass. it's also got a stronger clamp, though that may loosen over time. i could wear the hd599 all day and will still feel great.

Maxson

can i also make a suggestion, sennheiser hd599 SE. these are currently available from the sennheiser uk outlet for a bargain at £76 delivered. although stated as b stock, mines were practically brand new. they were at amazon for £99 during black friday but back up to £119 now.

i compared these to the philips x2hr which i also got from the amazon black friday deal. i still have these but i plan on returning them. the x2hr is good for the price, but it's a 'v' shape sound and i found them too artificial. bass and treble are just too boosted for my liking and mid/voices are too recessed. it's slightly bright sound which can be fatiguing. the sennheiser hd599 on the other hand are very neutral and accurate. top quality sennheiser sound. i've not heard any other sennheisers but it generally gets positive reviews and comparable to the hd600.

another factor to consider is comfort. the hd599 feels like i'm not wearing headphones as they are very light (not much clamp force) and the cups are very comfortable. the x2hr on the other hand is heavier and i can definitely feels the extra mass. it's also got a stronger clamp, though that may loosen over time. i could wear the hd599 all day and will still feel great.
Thanks. That is a real bargain and the reviews are great. Shame they're out of stock!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom