£300 for seconhand projector??

funkysnair

Standard Member
hello people
my name is ken and im new here but not new to forums (currently on 4 other forums)
im after a projector solely for watching movies on, i would love there to be hdmi port (atleast 1) 16.9 and lumins 1500+ with contrast of 1000+.

is this possible? i know there not cheap, obviously the more i can spend the better quality i understand all of this its just the fact i have spent £600 on a 32" 1080p tv £200 on bluray player for the bedroom to then turn around and say i want a projector isnt going down well with the other half!!!!

i want to use the tv (wallmounted) for watchin sky tv then the projector for playing bluray movies.

i would like to source a decent projector for £300-£350 (1080p would be brilliant) then ill purchase the screen ceiling mount seperate.

can you guys point me in the direction of some good models???
thank you for your time :smashin:
ken

few models im looking at

BenQ MP626 3D Ready DLP 600hrs used on bulb @ £280+postage
Optoma HD720X 700hrs used on bulb @ £350 posted
BenQ mx501 brand new @ £300 posted

Last edited:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Hi Ken welcome.

I am afraid you won't get a used 1080p model for £300-£350 as they are still a bit new for them to be that low used.

If you could squeeze £450-£500 there are 1080p models available.Optoma HD20 or 200x is probably your best bet along with Epson TW2800/3000 or Panasonic AE1000 but there are more Optomas about than the other two makes.

If that is to much of a stretch a new Optoma HD600x (720p) is available for £380 or used for £300 along with other 720p models from Sanyo Pioneer etc.

http://www.projectorplanet.co.uk/OPEN_BOX_-_Open_Box_-_Optoma_HD600X_Proj_1065688.html

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5580659.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=tsid:11527|cc:|prd:5580659|cat:eek:ffice%2C+pcs+and+phones+%2F+projectors+and+screens+%2F

funkysnair

Standard Member
do you think in your opinion i would be loosing much picture quality from 1080p - 720p?
but projectors are on a grand scale and im currious if i would be able to notice the difference to a point where im sitting the wishing i saved up for the 1080p models...

thanx for your reply ;)

reevesy

Distinguished Member
do you think in your opinion i would be loosing much picture quality from 1080p - 720p?
but projectors are on a grand scale and im currious if i would be able to notice the difference to a point where im sitting the wishing i saved up for the 1080p models...

thanx for your reply ;)

you wont miss what you've never had if you know what i mean

if its your first pj you'll be more than happy with a big 720p picture

cheers.

funkysnair

Standard Member
you wont miss what you've never had if you know what i mean

if its your first pj you'll be more than happy with a big 720p picture

cheers.

this is what im thinking------/\
the only reason im asking this is the fact ive been to someones house who had a projector on and i was looking at it thinking that thing sucks asse compaired to my tv (im thinking he might have bought a poor unit and not set it up right)

ive alwasy wanted to watch football and films on a screen so big i'd feel like i was there man lol.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
well i think a lot of people get bogged down in specs etc.....the one thing a pj will bring to the table over a tv is a big 'cinematic' picture
...i'm still using my 5 year old 480p projector and although i've been tempted to upgrade a few times i'm still enjoy watching a film on it (watched one last night)....even the kids and missus reckon it's better than the local cinema

.....either says more about my local cinema or my set up??

cheers

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The thing about resolution is what size screen do you want to achieve what distance do you want to sit from the screen and what media do you want to display.

If all you are watching is dvd or standard def tv it is a waste getting 720p or 1080p.If you are watching freeview hd or skyhd or most games 720p is Ok if bluray or hddvd is used 1080p is much better.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I would not bother with any of the pj's you suggested as they are multimedia pj's so not natural widescreen models or as in the HD720x a bit old and as there are more modern alternatives available for not much more.

Why get a HD720x with 700hrs and no g/tee when a HD600x/HD67 is available for pretty much the same price brand new.

funkysnair

Standard Member
well im wanting to watch bluray movies so 720p - 1080p is for me, hoping for 50"+ size screen also, going to meassure my wall to see the max size screen i can get on there!!!

bigger the better :D

kbfern

Distinguished Member
A 1080p model can generate a 100" screen from around 10-12ft throw (distance between screen and lens) and the picture will be sharp when viewing from 9-12ft.

A 720p will give the same size image but will be sharp from a little further away (12-15ft).

This is of course while playing 1080p media (bluray).

funkysnair

Standard Member
I would not bother with any of the pj's you suggested as they are multimedia pj's so not natural widescreen models or as in the HD720x a bit old and as there are more modern alternatives available for not much more.

Why get a HD720x with 700hrs and no g/tee when a HD600x/HD67 is available for pretty much the same price brand new.

see this is why i ask, i can take apart a motorbike engine and do a full rebuild - i can also modify pc casses to take some custom liquid cooling etc etc but this is new waters for me so questions have to be asked no matter how silly they seem to others.

A 1080p model can generate a 100" screen from around 10-12ft throw (distance between screen and lens) and the picture will be sharp when viewing from 9-12ft.

A 720p will give the same size image but will be sharp from a little further away (12-15ft).

This is of course while playing 1080p media (bluray).

my space is 70" wall to wall so im not lookin at anything more than a 60" screen as i would like to get some speaker along side the screen also.

im wondering about mounting the unit, i know ceiling mount is the best way but i have a light in the middle of the ceiling about 2 meters off where the screen will be.
im thinking of looking at a bracket that could mount to a wall instead?
this will allow me to mount it lower down to miss the light?

does the projecter have to be square on with the screen? (center?)
if not i can mount it in the corner of my room to make hiding the cables easyer.

sorry for all the questions.
p.s hd600x is my choice going off your advice and also online ratings etc :smashin:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The projectors lens needs to be pointed at the horizontal centre of the screen and square to the screen otherwise you will end up with a trapezoid shaped image.

Also the projector if ceiling mounting the lens will need to be a few inches (4" approx) higher than the top of the screen.

You could have it a few inches lower than the bottom of the screen and place it on a low table as an alternative.

If you only want a 5ft wide image the pj will need to be sited fairly close to the screen(8ft for a 5ft wide image).See the screen calculator below for the HD600x to see what dimensions you are faced with.

Lastly this is a DLP projector so get a demo to make sure the "rainbow" effect is not an issue to you (it only effects 20-30% of folks)

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD600X-projection-calculator-pro.htm

kbfern

Distinguished Member

funkysnair

Standard Member
The projectors lens needs to be pointed at the horizontal centre of the screen and square to the screen otherwise you will end up with a trapezoid shaped image.

Also the projector if ceiling mounting the lens will need to be a few inches (4" approx) higher than the top of the screen.

You could have it a few inches lower than the bottom of the screen and place it on a low table as an alternative.

If you only want a 5ft wide image the pj will need to be sited fairly close to the screen(8ft for a 5ft wide image).See the screen calculator below for the HD600x to see what dimensions you are faced with.

Lastly this is a DLP projector so get a demo to make sure the "rainbow" effect is not an issue to you (it only effects 20-30% of folks)

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD600X-projection-calculator-pro.htm

ah man i only got 6ft...
think i might have to do some diy and move that light, its bang on center of the room - my room is in 2 parts and the part i wamt the pj its a rectangle shape with my bed in it.
me and the other half are gonna get on the bed and some some big screen action....

what about short throw projectors? any good?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/tv-projector-classified-adverts/1558111-sale-optoma-200x.html

Real bargain in the classifieds right now, an Optoma HD200x for £400 + shipping (£15 approx) still 3 months warranty left an absolute steal for a 1080p machine.It will be sold in the next hour I would think so be quick if interested.

would be interested but the cash i have is here with me and not in the bank..
im buying 2 quad bikes, getting some double glazing and a new back door so i have to keep my cash in hand until there all paid for :thumbsdow

christmas this year has been so expensive!!!

kbfern

Distinguished Member

funkysnair

Standard Member
damn this...
im gonna move the light, might take some polyfiller and white paint but stuff that
begrudge paying £500 when the one that i like is cheaper and just as good!!!

thanx for all your help i really appreciate it
ken

funkysnair

Standard Member
well ive talked it over with the other half along with a few youtube videos of pj in action now she is all for it..
get in there son lol.

there is a seller on ebay offering "projector, screen and ceiling braket for £400 posted" - brandnew

busterbenny2001

Distinguished Member
listen to the advice here and before an bay purchase please listen in here or it could all end in tears

kbfern

Distinguished Member
well ive talked it over with the other half along with a few youtube videos of pj in action now she is all for it..
get in there son lol.

there is a seller on ebay offering "projector, screen and ceiling braket for £400 posted" - brandnew

Optoma HD600X 720P HDMI Projector WXGA Pull Down Screen & Ceiling Mount Bundle | eBay

I take it it's this one, it looks a reasonable deal although the projector mount looks a right monstrosity.

The other thing is this is the LV version of teh projector and is very very bright.

In the daytime it will be ok but at night in a darkened room you will need to wear sunglasses to watch it.

The normal 600x has a much lower light output which is more suited to watching at night in a darkened room.

funkysnair

Standard Member
Optoma HD600X 720P HDMI Projector WXGA Pull Down Screen & Ceiling Mount Bundle | eBay

I take it it's this one, it looks a reasonable deal although the projector mount looks a right monstrosity.

The other thing is this is the LV version of teh projector and is very very bright.

In the daytime it will be ok but at night in a darkened room you will need to wear sunglasses to watch it.

The normal 600x has a much lower light output which is more suited to watching at night in a darkened room.

yeh thats the one...
well i never knew it was brighter lol.
yes the ceiling mount does look terrible but surely wont look like that when its full retracted?
is there no way of dimming the projector so its same as 600x?

jesus it was easyer setting the timing up on my 125 bike engine than choosing a projector :facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett