1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£300-£400 Subwoofer Recommendation

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Buckster, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    I'm looking for a Subwoofer upgrade and was wondering whether the forums can point me in the right direction. I currently have a Yamaha SW-90 which is OK - but tends to produce Bass rather than "Sub-bass" if you get what I mean -so I'm tempted with an upgrade. I'm not particulary looking for loudness as I tend to keep the volume down because of my neighbours - but looking for that real low down sub movie effect.

I can pay up to around 400 pounds - and would prefer a bottom firing sub as I've found the front firing Yamaha really sensitive (location wise) for setting up (you can move the angle 3 degrees and bass sounds completely different)

Unfortuantely 400 pounds from looking on the net seems to be in sort of no-mans Sub land - lots of subs at around 150-200 pounds and 600-1000 but not much in between.

Just was wondering what people could recommend ? I'm thinking I'm best waiting to see what comes up on the forums and elsewhere 2nd hand - but what would people recommend brand new ?

Many thanks for any help - my system is as below:

Mark.

Yamaha DSP-A5
    NAD C-350
    Pioneer 656
    Tannoy RC Centre
    Tannoy M3 Fronts
    Mission 731i Rears

2. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    when i was at work the other day i asked if they had any more paradigm pw2200 in, as i am thinking of getting a second after i purchace my projecter. If you nip into your local RicherS and ask them to check the computer they should have 8 and they should be able to transfer it to u. about £300-350. well worth the money, nealy as good as the servo 15(in some respects better) and if you dont know how good that is do a search- servo15-

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    MJ Acoustics Reference 100 for £350.

[​IMG]

4. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Thanks for the tip - I'll look up some more info on that sub.

cheers,

Mark.

5. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've also been looking at something in this price to replace my pdr10, I was thinking along the velodyne cht series if thats any use to you

6. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    clancol

Which is your local store ? I tried Richersounds - Middlesborough - and they didn't have any ?

Thanks,

Mark.

7. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    clancol

I called Glasgow RS today only to be told that they don't sell Paradigm products anymore.

I had called about the Servo 15 when it was £399 in What Hi-Fi and was told they'd have one for me in two weeks so after two weeks i called and was told it would be in the next day but when i called just to make sure it was in the shop i was told they didn't have any at the warehouse but would definately get me one when another shipment arrived - still waiting 2 months later.

8. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    JIT,

They offered me an alternative a Mordaunt Short something .... not sure what was 500 quid.

Perhaps they weren't selling any of their own-brand stuff in enough volume because the Paradigm are so good - and were loosing out on profit.

Mark.

9. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    They offered my a Tannoy Revolution Sub for £399, i have Tannoy R3's and a PS1000 at the moment but looking for a significant improvement in the sub department.

10. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    They offered me the Tannoy RSUB15 too - but for 349.99 - can't find many reviews of it but from forums seems Tannoy aren't good for Subs - although the RSBU15 is quite a beast.

Mark.

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I didn't realise how right you were about your price range being a sub no-mans land until I started looking around.

If you insist on a downward firing sub it would seem that MJ Acoustics Ref 100 is the best on offer and a good sub it is indeed which should give you everything you are looking for.

12. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    The MJAcoustics does look pretty good - but can a 8inch driver really deliver that low bass I'm looking for ?

I don't have to go for a bottom firing sub - its just I found my front firing Yamaha hard to set-up but it may have just been a trait of the Yamaha.

Cheers for all your responses by the way.

Mark.

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You are probably correct that it may be a trait of the Yamaha and not front firers in general.

Have a look at the Velodyne CHT-10. Forum sponsors AV-Sales.com are authorized Velodyne dealers and tend to look kindly on forum members pricewise.

14. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Don't be put off by the small size of the MJ sub. Book a demo of one at your local dealer and prepare to be amazed.

15. AndersR

AndersR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you should definetely check out the new sony s-master 1000W 36kg! SONY SA-WX900 :

http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/sawx900/index.htm

it seems the price has fallen to almost half the retail price very fast. I think it's cheaper than in the US! The specs comepares to the YAMAHA YST-SW1500 which costs 600£.

I hope this helps
    please let us know if you do a demo.

16. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you're looking to go down below mid 20;s Hz then the answer is almost certainly "No".

Nice subs and I've nothing aganist them but a small box with an 8" driver and a 50 or 100 watt amp is going to have it's limits depth wise - in fact it would be unreasonable to expect anything else.

There are some tiny subs that can go really deep e.g. flat to 20Hz with no room loading - the Velodyne HGS10 springs to mind - but these use huge amps and cost serious money (£1500 plus).

Matt.