£300 - £400 speakers - stuck in a corner

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Daze & Confuse, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Daze & Confuse

Daze & Confuse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have recently got hold of a pair of Teac L700P power amps, and thought I could give biamping a go. (i.e. use the L & R outputs of one amp to drive one speaker, and the L & R of the other amp to drive the other speaker). The amps put out 30wpc, so we're talking 60w into each speaker.

I have been looking to get some new speakers, which will obviously now need to be bi-ampable, for around £300-£400. The only problem is, the speaker positions are limited by my small flat.

The right hand speaker will be very close to a wall on the right hand side, with about 60cm gap behind it. The left hand speaker will not have a wall either side, but have a wall about 20cm behind it. I sit around 8' from the speakers, but I would like them to still sound quite good when not directly in front of them too (it's a sitting room, dining room, kitchen open plan flat). To top it all off, it has 12' (that's right, twelve foot) ceilings! Not great, I know, but I have no choice.

I was looking at some Monitor Audio BR2s, and stands, which would be in my budget, but apparantly they need space. How would the Monitor Audio BR5s fare? They are front ported, so I believe that should help, especially if I use the port bungs.

I listen to a huge variety of music. I'm no good at using words to describe sound, but I think I like my sound to be quite tight and clear (but without sounding flat and dull). I like taught, snappy bass, but don't need huge amounts of it, and I hate it when it booms.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

2. nuttyboyz

nuttyboyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

Have a listen to some Revolver RW16,I think it would be a sound you like,,they are small,very punchy sound and sound much better than Monitor Audio,they retail at £400 and are easily one of the best speakers I've heard at that price point.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Not sure thats how i would Bi AMp its usual to run the left of both AMps to one speaker unless the AMPs have an internal bridge setting, not familiar with the TEACs but worth checking

4. Daze & Confuse

Daze & Confuse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As they're identical, I though it would be good to totally seperate the left and right channels. What you're saying is one amp for high frequency, one for low, which makes sense. I'll check, as you suggest. I also might have a play when I get them, and see what I like!

Any speaker recommendations?

5. -=PLuKE=-

-=PLuKE=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You dont have much room, Alittle like me. For god sake dont get rear firing ports, I had a pair of Kef Cresta 2s and they boomed!. I now have some B&W 685s which are forward firing. They sound nice and tight with plenty of bass there, If i turn the bass on to much 4+ on the amp they will boom alittle but not much, But are house is a new style one with studded walls :(. They retail for £380 but i got mine for £350.

Is it alittle like this?.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luke

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    MA RS1's are very nice speakers, small and compact, tight and fast, shouldnt boom too much even near walls, trying to remember if they actually have ports now, but if they do just bung them and that will sort it......I have a pair of MA S6 floorstanders stuck in corners of the room now (as they mostly used for home cinema but sometimes for music) and with the ports bunged they are just fine....

the MA RS1's will be more in line quality wise with the Revolvers mentioned above, comparing the £400 revolvers to the £180 BR2's is a little out of line :/

edit: of course, if you want to resolve the boom even more, perhaps consider a pair of satellites and a subwoofer combination.....you can mount them up high to fill the room fully with sound and obviously the sub can let rip once you find a nice spot for it...heh

7. Daze & Confuse

Daze & Confuse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for the very useful replies.

PLuke - my setup is very similar to your pictures. Thanks for those. I have studded walls, but luckily the speakers are on the outside (stone) walls. I have read the 685s are quite bassy - does this not cause a problem? Do you bung the ports? (Also - really vain, I'm sorry - I'll be getting the speakers in light wood. They look amazing in darker wood like yours, but I'm not sure how the blck front of the B&Ws go with pale wood. Maybe I should go and look at them.)

It seems that these 3 are recommended:

B&W 685
    Revolver RW16
    Monitor Audio RS1

Does anyone have any comments on the pros and cons of these (or other) speakers in a setup similar to PLukes photos?

It seems standmount is winning over floorstanders, which makes sense. Can anyone recommend some good stands? I hear Dreadnoughts are good, but they seem like quite a lot to spend, as the speakers are near the top of my budget anyway.

Would stands also mean that the bass won't travel down as much, and therefore not annoy the neighbours in the flat below?

Thanks for all the help!

8. -=PLuKE=-

-=PLuKE=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi again.

My bedroom is under the front room where my mum and dad sit, The stands have help with bass abit, I had to but diffrent spikes on mine to stop the going right thought the carpet and underlay and into the floorboards, Now they sit on the carpet now which helps with vibrations. The 685s are bassy when you turn the bass up, But up to +2 on the amp there is no problems really, I dont bung the ports, But if you need to they come with bungs which you can either have the port fully blocked or have a small hole in the middle to help get alittle bass out. I do like the 685s but they still need some running in. Here are some more pics, The stands i have are ALPHASON AA 3 got them off Ebay for £20 delivered! brand new i think they go for £55 or so RRP.

Link. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617991