1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£2k to spend, what should i do?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Phil Hinton, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I would love a Barco 1209 but I don't have the time to save for one as my BD800 is on it's last legs i feel and I need a change.
    I want a CRT that is sharp and highly detailed, good focus and excellent colours. Easy to use and one that doesn't need the convergence touched up every day, like my 800 at the moment.
    As I review DVD's on a very regular basis it has to be a high standard PJ that will at least allow 720p and one that can take being used every other day.
    I think I have around £2k to spend, a BD800 to trade in for parts or for refurb so what should I be looking at? I know Roland is the man to phone and I will do in the next few weeks, but as I have lost touch with the used CRT market over the last 3 years, what are the main models to look at? Your opinions welcomed.

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Phil, have you had a look at the classifieds here recently? Fulabeer is selling his Barco 808 complete with an Quadscan scaler for £1000 I think.

The projector would meet your needs, and with the funds saved from your £2K budget along with the money raised from selling the scaler plus your 800 you'd have enough to buy a superb HCPC with cash left over for a Roland install & tweak.

s/h projector prices have fallen because of a flood of cheap LCD product. There are some excellent projectors to be had for a fraction of what you'd have expected to pay three years ago.

Regards

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Thanks Chris, looking at that thread I think Paul may have sold his PJ.
    £1k for an 808 is a bargain, what are the prices like these days?

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Just search the Classifieds forum and the usual suspects like Ebay for recent CRT sales to get a feel for the market :)

Bear in mind, these are private sellers offering no warranty or aftersales back-up. Something from Roland or any other pukka dealer will cost a little more but you'll have some form of guarantee.

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Phill sorry to hear that your 800 is giving up the ghost
    It is true that prices have come down a bit as buyers become more educated in what to look for. But I have still come a across a few peojectors where both the buyer and seller had no idea what they had let them selves in for. two recently discussed here where the fluid had leaked from the tubes and knackered the PJ completely.
    Fullerbeer's machine was a bargin if it only went for £1000 I installed the machine for him and it was amongst some of the finest rooms and pictures I have worked on. Don't expect this kind of price ever day.

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Roland,
    The 800 is doing the old switching off routine when it's been running for about 30 minutes, you switch it back on and it either stays on the rest of the night or starts pulsing at the power source trying to switch back on. Really annoying but something I am sure can be fixed, probably dry solder or something like that.
    However the actual picture performance is spot on once it stays on, although with me reviewing these days, i need something sharper, more detailed and better colour wise. I intend to get whatever machine i buy ISF calibrated as well. I would only buy second hand privately if i knew the machine and could inspect it (such as Pauls Bargain), I am more than likely going to get a machine from Roland with warranty etc (If he has one in my price range).
    I've got to say that I spent £600 on the 800, Three years ago! it had a little tube ware on the right side, but apart from that and a power supply issue which Roland fixed, I have certainly gotten my moneys worth from it, I am sure it would run for another three years, just not as reliable. These days i am having to do the convergence everytime the PJ is used (after an hour or so). It's these little niggles that are forcing me to change as well, and the fact i just know one day when i hit the power button it will be dead, and i will have a pile of discs to review.
    Looking at LCD and DLP there are some cracking machines now for £2k, many which can get close to the CRT for sharpness. I know i want to go CRT however as the quality issues are just so much better.

So i will phone Roland in the next few weeks and discuss options with him and thanks for your help guys. Just hope i am not mugged by the LCD/DLP guy before i get sorted;)

7. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I can vouch for the improved value in the 2nd hand market. I am simply stunned by the quality of the NEC PG-9000 I bought from CogPaul on the classifieds board. It is a fabulous machine, and to think it cost me a fifth of what my first Seleco 400 did 3 yrs ago, the value for money to be had if you're lucky (and prepared to take your chances) is stunning.

I just need to find out how to get the colours right - Reds and yellows are far too vivid, and everything else is washed out... Running a HCPC by rbghv I can't seem to find any way of adjusting the saturation. I'll give it another week or two before buying Gordon a ticket from Glasgow to Stansted. ;)

I'm sure that £2000 spent wisely should buy a very good projector indeed. You can have four like I've got for that. :)

Andy