1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£2k to spend on Flat screen.. What? & Where from?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by salsa-king, Feb 19, 2005.

1. salsa-king

salsa-king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Help

I'd like a flat screen TV.... 32" or 42"?

Like to keep around the £2k mark... now what should i go for and wheres the best to get it from

John Lewis are doing 5yr warranty.... is this a good offer on LCD/Plasma TV's? but there prics seen a lot more than somewhere like CURRYS!!!

Looked at the TINY £2100 (everything set up) but put off by some of the threads on here about the screens!

HELP please

I would like to add a Souround sound system to the TV... I like the DENON et up...[​IMG]

my mums aready got it so know hw good it sound for £499

2. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    DLP rear projection tv would be right up your street. LCD and PLasma have flaws but dlp rear projection gives you the quality of picture you would have from any front projection unit (i.e projected onto a wall or screen). I own a projector myself and know how good they can be (think cinema projection quality). The one i read about was in the latest home cinema mag and it was a toshiba dlp rear projection tv. The basically give it the thumbs up saying it beat everything else hands down on the picture quality front. YOu may have to buy on-line has dlp rear projection isn't as mainstream as lcd/plasma. Hope this helps., i know what i would do with your money ;)

http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review1911.html

I think this was the tv they were referring to

3. salsa-king

salsa-king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    hmm. the only thing was is size. a flast screen would be wall mounted.. taking up less space in my flat.

4. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Anyone who buys a plasma/LCD at the moment may well have more money than sense. When High Definition TV arrives the depreciation will be huge.

Get a £700-800 Rear Projection, enjoy it for 18 months and then buy a plasma (or whatever is best quality). I had the same choice and could afford a plasma, but went for a RP. Hardly a day goes by that I don't think wow, what a picture. They are far more discrete that CRT TV's. I paid £750 delivered for my brand new Toshiba RPTV with built in surround sound and freeview/digital via ebay!

5. salsa-king

salsa-king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Its the size still... need it to go flush upto a Flat wall.. this will give me more space.
    Also i want 'proper' surround sound.... where you hear things from behind you.. like at the cinema :)

6. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Must be a very small flat :) Both RP and plasma TV's are best from a reasonable distance or they can look pixelated, say 10' or so, so if flat is very small then I dunno if you'd be happy with either. I usually find plasma too smeary for my liking. Audition the options or you may regret your purchase.

I have proper surround not virtual or some other rubbish. In fact, I sold my previous expensive 'proper surround' electronics for almost as much as I paid for the TV, as the TV's built in sound processing was that good. I just kept all the speakers and plugged them straight in to the TV. Unexpected surprise and so quids in!!

Because of the 'marketeer led craze' for plasma drawining in the big spenders, RPTV's are filling in the mid range at amazing value. Just chuck it in the skip or give it away when it's time to go High Definition. Less painful than chucking in the £2000 plasma. High Definition is worth the wait.

I have only seen one plasma as good as my RPTV and that was the Hitachi 5300. Set up properly a good RPTV is awesome. Most people on here recommend the Panasonic plasma range and they are Ok. I checked them out before buying my RPTV and a safe buy if space is a real issue. Both brands can be had for well below £2000. The Denon is also a safe buy.

Decide on your model, I suggest Hitachi or Panasonic, and check out pricing, incl. delivery which can be anything from free to £75!!, via pricerunner, kelkoo and dealtime, as well as Richer Sound and AV Sales, who had a decent offer on a while back via the Plasma section on this site. Concentrate on 42" as 32" is pretty disappointing in my view. No sense of scale. May as well have a cheap 32" CRT sat in the corner.