£2k PC build

Steve Bruce

Standard Member
Reaction score
Looks good to me but save by dropping the thermal paste, you don't need it with the AIO MasterLiquid cooler as it comes ready to fit. Spend the money on a webcam instead.

2k and you going with a 1070 ?

Edit
ah I see you need monitor as well

Last edited:
I would just stick with the one SSD and put the extra money towards the 1080. M2 is faster but in the real world you will hardly notice

Are you going to use the PC for video and/or photo editing ?

I would just stick with the one SSD and put the extra money towards the 1080. M2 is faster but in the real world you will hardly notice

I agree with delvey , both m.2 drives and ssd will boot roughly at the same time ( m.2 will be slightly fast only by seconds )( if that)
the M.2 will load programs slightly faster but were only talking seconds again here ,
where the M.2 will shine the best is in photo or video editing , if your not into that, then save the 100 or pounds and put it towards a better GPU.

Are you going to use the PC for video and/or photo editing ?

I agree with delvey , both m.2 drives and ssd will boot roughly at the same time ( m.2 will be slightly fast only by seconds )( if that)
the M.2 will load programs slightly faster but were only talking seconds again here ,
where the M.2 will shine the best is in photo or video editing , if your not into that, then save the 100 or pounds and put it towards a better GPU.

Nah, mostly gaming and general use.

What are peoples thoughts on the motherboard? It seems to get good reviews, but I haven't really had much time to do a thorough check to see if theirs anything out their much better?

Nah, mostly gaming and general use.

What are peoples thoughts on the motherboard? It seems to get good reviews, but I haven't really had much time to do a thorough check to see if theirs anything out their much better?
Going off a lot of youtubers ( main tech guys ) that is board that AMD sent out to them all when Ryzen first came out , and i still see a lot of the guys still using it today when when making comparing videos.
That would my choice if i was buying a board for Ryzen .

I personally wouldn't go with Ryzen at this point for a predominantly gaming build.

The 8th Generation intel processors are due on Thursday (5th of October). The 8700k is a 6 core, 12 thread cpu and from the leaked reviews seems to clock near 5ghz. Intel official specs Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.70 GHz) Product Specifications

8600k is also one to consider as it'll be cheaper and clock higher (by all accounts) although you lose 6 threads (6core/6thread as opposed to 12 on the i7)

For gaming (and now even multi-tasking) the 8th gen intel is going to be pretty strong.

Even if you decide not to go with Intel, there's pretty strong rumours of a price drop on Ryzen. Anyway you're not buying immediately so at least you'll have a clearer idea in a months time what the landscape is looking like.

There'll be hands on user reports of the 8600k and 8700k and prices on Ryzen will have settled.

I appreciate Ryzen 7 has additional cores, but for gaming 6 is more than enough. I'd apply that same logic if you're adamant on going with AMD, i.e be looking at a 1600 and spending more on the gpu if you do go with Ryzen.

Just to add, I'd also save some money on the motherboard too. With Ryzen cpus not being great overclockers, buying a high end board makes little sense. I'd probably look at a b350 board, or a lower x370 (if there are features you need on that chipset).

In a gaming build at higher resolutions, the graphics card is what makes the biggest difference. Put it this way, at 1440p you'd get a nicer experience with a 1600 and 1080 than 1700 and 1070.

If I were you (and adamant on Ryzen) I'd probably go for a 1600, a micro atx b350, and with the savings made on the motherboard, the smaller case, and cpu I'd be buying a better gpu.

But ultimately I'd be going for an i5 8600k which will likely be priced around the same as the 1700 and I'd bet my life that it performs better in gaming, let's face it the 7700k is already stronger in gaming....

The only thing I would say is, I don't want the CPU changed, it will be overclocked.

I'm curious why you don't want to change the cpu?

The 3 "best" x370 motherboards are the CH6 (crosshair hero), Taichi(AsRock) and the Gigabyte K7. The CH6 is very well regarded so you can't really go wrong, but again I'd go back to the fact that Ryzen cpus just don't overclock that well so most ryzen owners are getting similar overclocks on lower end boards. I think with Ryzen, choosing a motherboard really comes down to features, aesthetics, and ram compatibilty as some boards are finicky.

With regards to the ram go for these (save 86 quid too compared to the ones you picked). Developed specifically for Ryzen, they use Samsung dies, which is what you want. Although a giveaway is most CL14 ram tends to use Samsung. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XFT7DF9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

With a saving on the ram, the cpu (1600) and motherboard (b350) and case you'd save nearly 300 quid which puts you near 1080ti money :D

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Sorry to post again, but here's an amended version of your list. System Builder - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

Total comes to £2045 with a 1080TI!!!!

I've replaced the Asus Crosshair with an Asus Strix, the 1700 with a 1600, and the ram with the Ryzen ram (3200MHz CL14), and replaced the 1070 with an EVGA black edition 1080ti.

I'd then also change the case but a case is obviously subjective, but you could save money on the case and get to your budget of 2 grand. I'm bias obviously but I'd rather game on the rig on the part list I amended. At 1440p you'll get much better performance.

You could even choose a 1080 and actually save 200 quid off your original build lol.

P.S if you really want the 1700 then I'd still recommend the change on the motherboard and ram, and put the savings towards a 1080.

Last edited:
But ultimately I'd be going for an i5 8600k which will likely be priced around the same as the 1700 and I'd bet my life that it performs better in gaming, let's face it the 7700k is already stronger in gaming....

Isn't the 8600k more comparable to the 7600k?

Isn't the 8600k more comparable to the 7600k?
The 8600k wont be 4 core though so more likely comparable would be a 7th gen i7.

Just saying the 8 series i5 will compare with the present i7.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom