£299+£2.50 a week i think this is fair what about you ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by waterloo, Mar 24, 2006.

1. waterloo

waterloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    After all the crap that sky have been getting on here i think this is a fair price for the box £299:thumbsup: the same as sky + when it first came out or was it £399. £10 month for subs not bad i think as people were saying £599 £499 £399 ect ect for the box +£15 £20 month subs as well+ free installation so not a bad deal sky will also more your existing box for free as well im getting it asap. The box will go down in price i know maybe to £199 in about six months time maybe but what the heck im going for it the only down side is it may not be very good.:( ps who got the date and price right ? :arty:

2. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    does 2.50 a week sound better than 10 a month or 120 a year :) and 299 more for the box then telewests offering

edit to add
    as much as I want it I just can't justify it, much as it pains me to say, maybe when SG1 and Atlantis start again in the summer i might of changed my mind :)

3. waterloo

waterloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    £120 a year i do that on a night out :D you want it mate just get it £10 a month or £2.50 a week or even around 36p a day is not much to pay for high def viewing the only thing is it may well be crap. You pay your money and take a chance.

4. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    120 on a night out you must be able to hold ya booze,*sings* 60 bottles of beer on the wall, 60 bottles of beer........:) and dont forget the 300 quid for the box to add in to the yearly payment for going hd :)

hardly anything going to be on sky one in HD till the new series start in the summer, never watched the movie channels when I had lot to choice from so dont think 2 is gonna make go wow, i will see how much the thought of Stargates get to me in the summer, I will re think then :)

5. M-C-P-M

M-C-P-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I think that it a bloody amazing price knowing what Sky are like, and I think it was the price that came out on top of our poll so its good to see they have been keeping in touch with the masses. God Bless them one and all!

6. mammoo

mammoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would sound almost fair to me if it weren't for one problem. To receive ALL the new HD channels you also need to have the maximum subscription with sky. At the moment I don't have sports or movies so I pay £19/month. To get HD i would need to shell out £300 and increase my subscription to £29/month and I would only get 4 HD channels (which would mostly be broadcasting SD content).

If I want all 8 HD channels I will need to increase my subscription from £19/month to £50/month!

When you look at it that way it is far from cheap!

7. DarkDogZA

DarkDogZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Guess who is not getting sky hd....not at that price...I don't even have sky so 0 to 50....forget about it

8. spiderman78

spiderman78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    :)
    I'm in the same boat as you. I've resisted the Sky+ £65 deal folks have been getting recently to see what Sky HD would bring. For me personally the Sky HD sub is £10 extra for watching some Sky One programmes in HD and its hard to justify that. A bit gutted:(

9. wandersen

wandersen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Heh ... £120 for a night out is not that much with dinner for 2. Probably easily spend that much on nights out 3-4 times a week. I know - I really don't have time to be watching sky, but I will get hd anyway :)

10. waterloo

waterloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i live in london and :censored: expensive i night out is :D
    too true mate about hardly anything going to be on sky one in HD till the new series start in the summer thats what im worried about as well plus i have got the movies and do not watch them often but after all the waiting im going to have to get it. a sucker maybe:rolleyes:

11. waterloo

waterloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No because your allways out getting ****** like me :beer: :smoke: :zonked: :arty:

12. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    yeah no way I'm paying 120 pounds a year, what a rip off. I'm quite happy with decent price of under 35p a day ;) :D

13. waterloo

waterloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    :lesson: Less than a pint of milk a day:D

14. HDTV_Newbie

HDTV_Newbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This seems cheap to me! At 0.00000380512 pence per second you cannot go wrong:D

15. waterloo

waterloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    :D

16. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287

Let's not forget that if you don't currently have Sky+ included in the price of your sub (or aren't paying the tenner extra a month for it) then you'll need to add in the price for that _too_ in order for the PVR functions of the SkyHD box to work.

For someone who isn't already a Sky suscriber, the investment required to get the full HD service for a year (the contract is 12 months) is something like 920 quid extra expense.

That's a very high bar to enter HD viewing, considering HD will make such a small proportion of the total number of hours of broadcast telly.

Even if you're already spending 500 quid or so a year on the full Sky package, the extra tenner for SkyHD is going to take you over the psychological 50 quid a month barrier. And you'll have to pay 300 quid for the box too, of course. And sign up to a 12 month sub. Thanks, but no thanks.

Gav

17. nickeddle

nickeddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sad to say I agree with gavan,I pay £21 pm at present and to get HD would double the outlay per month,if you are into sport I can see the value but to pay extra for old movies.in HD is not for me,I will wait for HD DVD or Blue Ray.
    Maybe look again in a year or so.

18. Rob_Quads

Rob_Quads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Don't think you have a very good argument there. You are arguing you think its not fair to have to pay £20 for the extra 4 HD channels (even though you pay the HD subs) but you are getting two completely new topics - Movies + Sports, which you obviously don't care about as you don't pay the extra premium to watch them at the moment.

19. dazzafact

dazzafact

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    well I'm happy with the price and sub, kinda.:confused: I've just stopped smoking 30 a day:rolleyes: which has helped the purse strings; I'm using the other 7 quid a day I'm saving on a swedish cleaner to tidy up all my empty sweet wrappers! Sky hd - couch potato luxury!!

20. redknag

redknag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Seems reasonable to me. I paid more than that for Sky+ when you couldn't rewind, record 2 channels, no DD, no live pause & probably more. Why do people think £299 is a lot for a cutting edge piece of kit. I was about £500+ for a VHS video recorder nearly 20 years ago.

Crikey, £300,000 for an average pile of bricks and mortar now days, how can £299 be a lot of money any more. You don't have to buy it. :thumbsup:

21. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    dont you mean just 0.0000000761024 per frame (50fps)

22. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    As long as you don't lose sight of the fact that you'll be paying almost half as much again for the extra subscriptions every year. This would be good value if the majority of channels were going to be viewable in HD, but for 6 channels or less, it's just not worth it in my opinion.

23. steventucker

steventucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    personally i think £300 for the set top is outrageous.

I've just ordered telewest's tvdrive for free and can watch the world cup there in hd for £10 per month.

who's the fool?

24. Bravo3311

Bravo3311

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me personally the price seems fair, alot depends on a individuals disposable income. I have spent a fair bit on upgrading my home entertainment system and this will be the icing on the cake so to speak.
    I am a movie fan and will be watching most of the movies again as I hope high def will bring something extra to what already to me was a good film.
    I already pay for the sky full package and have had my sky+ box for about 2 yrs hopefully I can get this moved to the bedroom.
    The only downside I can see for myself is if my wife comes out with the comment after watching a movie, 'so whats the difference, what was all the big fuss about.' This may make me feel a little deflated.:)

25. HDTV_Newbie

HDTV_Newbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It just keeps getting cheaper!

I plan to get mine for £299, pay the £10 for HD, use the lowest price half price mix (2 picks) at 3x£7.50 & 9x£15. Grand total for 12 months £576.50.

After this I will cancel sky and use it as a HD sat freeview box as by then all the main channels will be up for free.

Yes I could wait until its cheaper or the terrestrial freeview HD in 2051, but paying a couple of hundred over the odds to see the world cup - priceless

:hiya:

26. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    You'll need to pay a tenner a month if you want to keep the PVR functionality after you cancel your Sky/HD sub. In that respect, it's the same as a Sky+ box.

Gav

27. redknag

redknag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Yeah agree, but what I was trying to say is that I thought £10 a month extra was good value for Sky+ functionality 5 years ago, before it did half of what it does now. So now I will be paying the same £10 extra (which is really less taking inflation into account) and getting a larger HDD and high definition too. Plus i'll get 12 month warrentee. "probably need it if it's anything like Sky+ was to start with" :)