£275 max 5.1 speaker package - any thoughts?

A

ags100

I recently bought a Tosh 220 DVD which is currently hooked up to my Panasonic WS telly but predictably the sound is fairly pants. So I'm in the process of buying a Yamaha DSPAX630 (found at bargain £295 at QED) but am at a complete loss for what speakers to look at.

Unfortunately my budget only runs to about £275 otherwise I hit the divorce courts, so any recommendations from you experts out there? I need all 6 speakers so I admit they will not give me startling performance, but I need the best I can get for my cash.....

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers

B

bob007

How about 3x Tannoy MX1's/MX2's these should give you enough bass till you have more funds for a sub.

A

ags100

Big thanks to Matt recommending the Missions - me like - lots!! And the price is impressive too.

Presumably no compatability problems with the Yamaha amp - are the days gone when speakers didn't match with amps? - different ohms/impedance and all that jargon!

Anthony

Matt F

Originally posted by ags100
Presumably no compatability problems with the Yamaha amp - are the days gone when speakers didn't match with amps? - different ohms/impedance and all that jargon!

Anthony, there shouldn't be any compatability issues as the Missions appear to be fair easy to drive:

Sensitivity SPL/m/2.83V 89dB
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms

The Yamaha should have no problems IMO.

Matt.

p.s. At £200 the Mission Six Pack is a genuine bargain.

A

ags100

Matt, thats good to hear!

Fancy being my personal shopper?! :D

The only other thing I need to consider is speaker cable - does it really make any difference what I use? Or should I just choose something thats not the cheapest and by no means the most expensive!!

Cheers
Anthony

rjw

Originally posted by Matt F
At £200 the Mission Six Pack is a genuine bargain.

Definately. Go and buy one now :)

I started out with a Mission Six pack, although have now replaced the front 3 speakers with a pair of M74's and a M7C1. The spare speakers are sat quietly for the day I upgrade to 6.1 or 7.1.

and following on from another post.....

Cable-wise, I wouldn't go overboard as the speakers probably don't warrant it. I'm about to replace the cable to my rears, probably with something around the 60p/meter price from Studiospares. Cable for the fronts is Cable Talk Talk 3.1 which was about £2 per meter or something.

Huggy

Sorry didn't read the bit about 6 speakers. However, my comment still stands as an alternative - ie buy the M72 cinema pack at RS for 275 quid and save up for a decent subwoofer - which is what I am doing.

S

Spacecowboy

Are the speakers in the Mission Cinema 6 pack the M70's? All 5 of them?

rjw

Originally posted by Spacecowboy
Are the speakers in the Mission Cinema 6 pack the M70's? All 5 of them?

They are Mission 70's not Mission M70's, but all five are exactly the same.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom