1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£2500 to spend, one item is going to be the 3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by frustin, Jun 3, 2005.

1. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got £2500 to spend on a new setup (less TV (i have a tosh 36inch flat screen), no point in plasma as i dont have sat tv and i cant get free view nor cable).

My setup was going to include:

£1200 - Mission M-Cube speakers
    £850 - 3805
    £750 - 3910 dvd (is this HDTV ready?)

What do you think? Over speced for my TV? refinements?

thanks

2. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    The 3910 might be overkill for you as your TV won't have HDMI connections and it doesn't upscale to higher resolutions via the component connections. One benefit of coupling a Denon amp and DVD player is use of the firewire and denon-link connections on both,which might make wiring for SACD etc tidier.

3. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SSB - Thank you for your responce.

What i know is this: I wont want to spend £750 on a dvd player again in the near future (wife reasons), how about the 2910?

Lets put it this way, the cheque is signed over to 7oaks i HAVE to spend all of it on hifi equipment. What would you suggest?

4. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    I've gone for a dvd-a, SACD compatible Pio 565. It's only a £100 which means I'll easily be able to justify upgrading to blueray or HD in a year or two. If I spend £750 on a player I'm not going to want to upgrade for quite a while.

If I were you I'd get the 3805. I'd spend £100 on a Pio 565 or 575 (whatever the latest number is) then spend the remaining £1850 on speakers and cables.

Make sure you get a nice juicy sub :)

I'm not going to suggest any speakers or sub as you haven't said if space, colour, style, 7.1 etc are important to you.

5. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    The 2910 is probably a good bet if you're wedded to the Denon idea but the 3910 might be overkill. If you look in the DVD Players forum (or indeed this forum) there's likely to be more feedback on that model than I can offer.

Does the Mission M-Cube set-up have a decent subwoofer? You might also consider other compact / lifestyle speakers such as the Kef Eggs, B&W VM1, Gallo etc and pair them with a sub from a different manufacturer.

Have you thought about ex-dem stuff? I'm sure your local 7oaks could get hold of the ex-dem 3805 that's in Peterborough for £749, for a start. Here's a link.

At the end of the day I'm sure with that sort of cheque to wave at 7oaks you could wangle a home dem or swap out bits that you aren't happy with. Do you have to spend it all at once?

6. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :lease: take one of my golden rules spend as much as posible on speakers and, in the case of A/V the display, be it PJ or Plasma.

That way as the amp and player are upgraded you have a decent set of speakers that can show the difference as you go along.

Also the 3910 can scale Standard DVDs to HD levels via HDMI or DVI-D but it will not play the new HD or Blu ray discs.

7. gazza166

gazza166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Eddy, don't agree with you there mate. The general rule of hierarchy is to spend as much on your source as you can and go from there. After all if you've a poor source then all that good speakers are going to do is make it sound even worse; s*$t in = s*$t out !

On the other hand a good source will always make moderate speakers sound better - let's face it, you can't put back what you've already lost, and if your source is poor then the information has been lost long before it gets to the speakers.

Also the 3805 is a good amplifier, but don't discount the 2805. There's not a massive amount of difference apart from the auto room set up, and the Denon link. I'm not convinced on the auto set up, I found it better doing it manually, and if you don't intend to have a front end that's either a) Denon, or b) Denon link enabled then there's not a lot of point in paying for it.

Just my two penneth :smashin:

btw - I'm selling my second system which was based around a Celestion AVP305 speaker/sub setup. I won't post all the details here as this is not the trading forum, but PM me if you're interested and I'll post it on the proper forum.

8. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could save £225 on Denon by buying 6 month old version here that you could then spend elsewhere in your setup :smashin:

9. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cheque is signed over to 7oaks as they were the people i chose to get my gear from (they provided me with the quote for my replacement that broke). So i ABSOLUTELY have to spend all £2500 in there.

I think you have convinced me not to go for the 3910 as its probably overkill given my screen.

My room is small (4.2mx3.4m) hence my choice of m-cube, i am not a big music listener and i am sure they will sufice when i do want to. I dont think that 7.1 is going to fit (wouldnt know where to put it). Is there something else out there that i am missing in the home cinema speaker range?

Lets say i skimp on the amp and get:

2805 - £600 - It doesnt have to be a denon, but they get rave reviews for home cinema. *shrug*

So that leaves the dvd player. Do you really recommend a pio in the £100-£150 range?

Oh god cables! I'd forgotten about them. I trust they (7oaks) will be able to give me sound advice on that? no pun intended.

10. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    try some M&K k series speakers

11. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Personally I don't think the quality of the cheap Pioneer will be a worth you blowing your 7oaks wad on ... I had a 575 and it was OK, but nothing stupendous. The quality of the finish in particular was poor IMO. I've a feeling you'd walk away disappointed with the 585, which is its replacement.

You could consider a dvd recorder instead. They're getting better all the time - much more flexible and likely better resale if you swap in future (I scraped £80 on my Pioneer 575 which was £150 only 8 months before). Just an idea.

12. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    As you can see from my sig below, I opted for the 2910 and 2805. I demo'd both the 3805 and 2910 in the store and I felt the extra money didn't justify the performance increase although they were a little over my budget.

13. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I agree with what you said to a degree, but i have seen mini systems that sound useless connected to a decent set of speakers and the sound transformed, Also as you upgrade your source you can hear the difference, i'm not saying ignore the source, but what is easier (or cheaper) to upgrade? A DVD player or a complete 7.1 package, which if good to start should not need to be touched for many years.

14. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think i am going to just get the m-cubes (they would appear to be the best small speakers i can get at the moment) and the denon 2805 (plus cables). I'll save the rest of the money and get a credit note so that i can get a dvd player when i have a better TV. I think any dvd player is going to be wasted (i have a kiss player) at the moment on that CRT i have. I would think about a DVD recorder but i dont have Sky/cable/freeview (because of where i live).

15. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    I recently listened to the M&K Xenon's. I'd recommend you give them a go. They're compact and sound very impressive. pretty sure 7oaks sells them as well so you could compare them to the m-cubes you're so keen on.

Also recommend listening to a few other subs and not just automatically going with the one that is part of the set.

16. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    Hi there

I have recently had the same decision to make, with a similar budget. In the end i went for:

Denon DVD2910; Denon AVR2805; Monitor Audio Radius Speakers (R180, R90, R270); REL Quake Subwoofer.

Once i threw in (a lot of) monitor audio speaker wire (circa £4/m) and some interconnects i spent about £2,500.

I started off wanting to get the m-cubes because the mags raved about them and they looked cool. However, thre Hi-Fi shops were not too impressed with their performance and it was THEIR view that you would be paying for a "cool premium". However, they were out of stock at the shops i visited, so i didn't demo them personally.

My choice came down to KEF vs monitor and demo'd both. My novice view that both were impressive with movies, but that the radius were noticable better with music - but slightly bigger than the KEF and bigger than M-Cube.

However, the mags didnt rate the Monitor sub and my hi-fi shop agreed that the REL Quake was better. I didnt test this, just took their word for it.

Conclusion - I'm VERY happy indeed with the result :thumbsup:

17. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sub that comes with the m-cubes has a controller in it for the rest of the speakers. All the speakers run through the sub before going back to the amp. I have a Rel Q150e at home but i was going to sell that, are you suggesting that i order the set of 4 m-cube surrounds and use a different sub (perhaps an updated Rel or something)? What about tonal balence matching, which i hear is something that one has to consider when buying mix and match speaker set ups?

I'll give the xenons a go, they look quite expensive (for the full 5.1 setup), does this mean they are likely a better speaker than the m-cubes?

18. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

ok i am convinced. i'll check out the monitor-audios only because my friend swears by them and i think the sound he gets is very nice. i dont kow about the quake though its getting a little long in the tooth. I have the Q150E myself and i bought that for £450 about 3 years ago.

19. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    cool ! Just make sure you take a couple of your music cd's along so you demo music as well as movies