1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£2500 and lots of questions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by blzbob, Nov 27, 2004.

1. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been scanning the forum for a while and fingers crossed if I can sell my house should be buying a plasma at end of February. If not I will be a little on the poor side. :rolleyes:

I like the Pioneers (saw LOTR on one and it was fantastic) for pictures but currently favour the panasonic because I have heard it copes with SKY signals better and its higher contrast.

I have a PS2/Xbox (I use these for DVDs and they look fine on my 29" Tosh CRT showing I am not the biggest videophile), a marantz 5300 amp and mainly watch SKY+. I may want to pop my laptop into the plasma but this is unlikely to be more than once a month.
    I don't want too many wires running to the Plasma or I will need to get someone in to hide them. I probably would prefer a separate box that I could plug everything in (so a scaler is appealing). Despite the lack of a DVD player, plasma nasties on the screen (jags/green trails etc./ buzzing) would all really annoy me. :mad:

Key questions
    1 Roughly how much is a picture calibration (ie tweak settings) and who does these Gordon and ???? (I am in the Newbury area)
    2 Roughly how much is a full install (ie hide the cabling) ?
    3 Do I lose teletext if I go for a panel ie PW7 (I assume the new improved digital super slow text still works) ? Are there any other things that panels don't have I might miss (other than Tuner/sound which i can live without).
    4 What are the preferred scalers DVDO iscan HD+ (do I need the plus) and lumagen vision DVI ,which features should I look out for and how do I compare them/pick between them? Will I be able to connect everything into the scaler and then just have one output to the plasma (and if so what should this be? )
    5 Which is the best setup:- a a scaler and the PW7 or the Panasonic HD panel (ideally I would love to be HD ready, but if that is the only benefit I will wait)
    6 Assuming a scaler and a panasonic PW7, what cables and cards would I need (just 1?). Plus is there anything else i should budget for?

2. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump

3. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    blzbo,
    Idon't think you are being ignored, I suggest that your post was a bit too full of questions and would require heavy duty answering.
    Have a read amongst the threads then try and narrow your questions down a bit. :)

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I suggest the Pio 435 would be ideal for you my friend go get a proper demo where in uk are you?

5. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks HornyD, I am in newbury probably happy to go to Swindon/Basingstoke/Oxford or Reading to have a look. I thought the 435 had less contrast and as it costs more I won't be able to afford the scaler, does this matter?

Happyh - You are probably right I am asking a lot of questions.
    We'll ignore 1 and 2 and 6 (I will get quotes)

3. should be a yes/no
    4. Read Liam essentially recommending Lumagen if I don't need the audio delay (my Marantz should fix this). So now its just "Will I be able to connect everything into the scaler and then just have one output to the plasma (and if so what should this be? )"
    5. Horny has made it more complicated with the pioneer but choice of 3 (i) PW7+Lumagen (ii) PHD7 (iii) pioneer 435

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PHD7 + scaler (Iscan HD) Fantastic but complex......... the Pionner is a one box solution (less contrast but a very nice ) simple to set up and use very low hassle set-up

7. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How would a PHD7 and a Denon 3910 work together? do i really need a scaler when i have the Faroudja in the Denon?

8. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes you do need an external scaler if you want to have the better set up

Alex

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not for DVD but for Sky etc you would (can use for DVD as well)