£250, Which Recorder?!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Flak_Munky, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Flak_Munky

Flak_Munky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have been lurking here a while now... And am about to purchase a DVD-Recorder. My budget is £250 and my requirements are:
    • I have a Humax PVR-8000T which I use to record day to day. I need a recorder to 'back-up' recordings from this. The Humax has an RGB out signal... and an S-VHS socket... I think!
    • Time-Slip isn't that important to me... the Humax does that for me, but I guess it would be nice....
    • I have a digital camcorder... but also have a Firewire on my pc so am not *that* bothered about dv-in... but it would be kind of nice!
    • I have a Pioneer A06 recorder in my PC... I don't think it can read RAM discs... but I would like to edit DVD's to add my own chapter points, menus etc...
    • I would like to be able to edit out adverts from my armchair.
    • I don't need multi-region ability...

Ok, so far I have spotted the following:

Philips DVR-70 (I like the 2.5 hour option) £150.00 from R/Sounds
    Sony GX3 £230.00 from Empire Direct
    Panasonic DMR55EBS (what are all the different letters after the number for... there seem to be a few different versions!) £210.00 R/Sounds
    Liteon 5005 from a computer fair for £185... This is a multi-format machine... I know the 5001 got bad reviews... has this machine been improved?
    JVC DRM10S for £230.00 from Empire Direct.

Thats it really... there is also a Toshiba DR3 for £260.00 which is just out of my budget...

Thanks very much, people!

fM

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Given your requirements you missing probably the best option from your list: Pioneer 220. This allows "arm chair" editting on DVD-RW disks (which will work in your A06 DVD burner) provided you record in VR mode - after which you can follow the PC GUIDE: DVD-RAM (inc DVD-RW VR Mode) To DVD-R guides.

The Panasonic E55 (there is only one version) would also be an excellent option and it is somewhat better value than the Pioneer (it has component, DVD-Audio, progressive scan etc). However you would either need to replace your DVD burner (£50) or get a new DVD-ROM (£20) to read DVD-RAM disks so this may not be best for you.

The JVC DRM10 is a good DVD recorder but lacks RGB input - I appreciate your box has S-Video out but, all things being equal, S-Video is noticeably poorer than RGB.

The JVC, Pioneer and Panasonic models all have Flexible Record or equivalent. This allows you to use a bitrate closest to the length of your programme. e.g. if you want to record a programme that is 2hrs 31mins long you would just dial in that time (Panasonic range) or select the nearest recording mode (within 6mins) on the Pioneer or JVC.

Discount the Philips DVDR70 unless you like unreliable products with next to no features. It doesn't allow decent editting, i.e you would need to re-edit on your PC. The 2hr 30min full resolution recording mode has been surpassed by the Panasonic range. If you really require a + machine I would look at the Thompson range over the Philips - although they still won't offer editting.

The Sony GX3 is a well built, high quality machine. Again it allows editting (provided you use DVD-RW disks which will play in your A06). It is limited by it's recording modes: anything over 2hrs has to be recorded in 3hr mode (low resolution).

3. Flak_Munky

Flak_Munky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ras,

Thanks for that... I like the sound of the Pioneer model... Any good sources to purchase from? ie. good customer service, replacement, etc...

fM

4. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +406
    Try Richer Sounds. Very competitive price wise, and in my experience, excellent customer service (including returns). Not sure if they stock the 220, though. My brother bought a 220 from AVland, and was impressed with the service. Don't know what the after sales care is like, though.

Hope this helps

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Another vote for Richer Sounds here. I have also used RGB Direct ( www.rgbdirect.co.uk ) a fair bit in the past. They are cheap and always have provided a very fast service but I don't what their after sales service is like as I've never had to use it.

6. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only add my comments regarding RGB, I personally wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

I purchased a JVC S-VHS VCR/HDD from them, the vcr was faulty on the audio playback so back it went to RGB. I had to chase them up a few times before they said they would send a new one (the original was only 5 weeks old).

The new one arrived only to find that it already had programs recorded to the HDD, the Bill being one. This was obviously a second hand model that someone else had returned. I wouldn't have minded too much if they just apologised and sent another, but it took several phone calls for them to accept they had sent a second hand machine and they never even apologised, in fact they virtually were calling me a liar when I explained about the recordings.

You have been warned.

Martin