1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£250 budget for speakers and reciever

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sswats, Feb 21, 2005.

1. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I know its not a lot, but its all I have.

And I need a reciever with RGB scart inputs.

What I've managed to come up with are the Pioneer VSX-C402 for 165 and the Yamaha NSP100 for 80. £145.

Or I forget about 5.1 totally and get the Mission M71I for 60 with Pioneer.

How big a difference in sound are the floorstanding Mission M731I to the small M71I.Is it worth spending the extra £60 on?

2. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    £300 then?

3. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I have a Marantz SR5300 you can buy for £130 + p&P (about £10)?
    6.1 Receiver in champagne.

4. bowlhead2000

bowlhead2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not heard the M71i but if you didn't get floorstanders you'd need to spend a chunk of the £60 on stands... so maybe better to get the more substantial speakers which don't need them.

Maybe like me when first getting into hifi, being on a budget, you were thinking of getting away without stands at the moment (and, for example, putting up with some wobbly shelves until you have another £50-60 spare). Well, if you do have the cash to get the M73, you could find some bookshelf speakers around that price, and then when then next £50 comes along you could get the stands as an easy upgrade.

On the 5.1 thing - for now, just go with stereo. A £150 receiver (even better, a £300 receiver that you buy for £150 second-hand) is going to be a great building block for getting a 5.1 system with proper hifi speakers ; much better than a £250 all-in-on system. However as you noticed the problem is that you can't afford 5 speakers and a sub with the remaining £100 or so.

I'd say get the best single pair of speakers you can with the remaining £100. Then when budget allows get a centre as it will make a good difference to the soundfield in movies (e.g. dialogue will come from the people talking on screen and not from somewhere off to the side). Then get some rear speakers which will give you better ambience and proper rear effects but not as important as the centre. Then finally you get a sub (as long as you are using proper hifi speakers all round, it is not as essential as any of the others).

Basically doing it the long-winded route you end up with a few hundred pounds worth of speakers and a decent receiver, and it all sounds great. This is definitely better than what you would get with a £100 set of 5.1 speakers, or a £250 all-in-one receiver/speaker combo. If you try and get 5.1 on your budget now, you will at some point need to throw it away and upgrade. Best to build it slowly