£250-400 projector recomendations or Tw10h upgrade recomendations

jltk87

Hiya,

My friend is looking to purchase his first projector and has a budget of around £250-£400. I think he will be useing it mainly for dvd's and perhaps some games. Haveing not looked at projectors in a while im not sure wich one he should get, new or secondhand. any sugestions would be great

Ive got an epson tw10h and have had it for nearly 2 years now. im happy with it at the moment and only use it to watch dvd's on. however i will be getting a ps3 in the future. I was wondering is it worth me selling my pj to my mate and upgrading? id have a budget of around £500 for a new or second hand pj. would i be able to aford high def? also antoher thing to consider is my projector is only around 3m away from the wall.

Any sugestions would b great, Cheers!:thumbsup:

Jonstone

For under £400 I think the most popular recommendation here would be for the Benq W100 so long as you don't have a problem with dlp projectors and rainbows

jltk87

Ive convinced myself to upgrade! in a couple of months time. looking at the sanyo z5 for around £700 (posibly 500 overseas). anyone got any comments about this projector, seems to be gd value for money plus its got good reviews. Do you think this pj would last me a gd 4 years or so? It should certainly be a big improvement on my tw10h.

RichKS

I just upgraded from the TW10H myself. I went for the HD70 and I have to say: It's bloody stunning!

Not that the 10H was in any way bad, it was tops for the price and I was very happy with it for the 2 years I owned it.

The first thing that struck me about the HD70 was the size: I knew DLP PJs were smaller than LCD because of the one panel vs three thing and no beam splitting, but the HD70 is really tiny compared to the old Epson.

Noise wise they are about the same, give or take. That is, the HD70 seems to make about the same level of noise as the TW10H did when the TW10H was in Theatre Black mode.

The brightness off the HD70 is amazing next to the old Epson. It's just so bright. I can have the thing on with the lights on and still see the picture. that's in normal mode. In Bright mode you can run it during the daytime with the curtains open and still make the picture out (it looks pretty washed out in daylight, but it you wanted to use it to watch the news or whatever it'd be OK). Very noisy in that mode though.

Colour depth and the vibrancy of the colours on the HD70 seems fantastic too, although to be fair this might just be lamp on the old Epson had 1800 hours on it. It's undoubtedly better though.

Basically, I'm very happy with it as an upgrade.

Delh68

Ive convinced myself to upgrade! in a couple of months time. looking at the sanyo z5 for around £700 (posibly 500 overseas). anyone got any comments about this projector, seems to be gd value for money plus its got good reviews. Do you think this pj would last me a gd 4 years or so? It should certainly be a big improvement on my tw10h.

Got to ask, where can you source the Z5 for around £500 ~ Europe, further afield?
I think the Z5 would be a good value LCD choice ~ I would look at DLP, but fear i would be 'the small percentage of people' who are affected by Rainbows:eek:

I too have an Epson TW10h at present:)

Cheers
Delh68

jltk87

i think i saw one go on ebay, brand new with warranty for around that from germany. noticed ivojo is doing a deal for under 700 with extra bulb worth 200. (not sure if its on their website but i saw an ad somewhere, probebly on these forums) At the moment im quite tempted to sell my tw10 for 200 or so and buy that and sell the extra bulb on meaning it would only cost me 300 to upgrade :)

jltk87

im not sure if im affected by rainbows or not but im happy with lcd so i see no reason to change. need to find somwhere that displays projectors in the hampshire area to have a look.

Delh68

i think i saw one go on ebay, brand new with warranty for around that from germany. noticed ivojo is doing a deal for under 700 with extra bulb worth 200. (not sure if its on their website but i saw an ad somewhere, probebly on these forums) At the moment im quite tempted to sell my tw10 for 200 or so and buy that and sell the extra bulb on meaning it would only cost me 300 to upgrade :)

Ivojo have 2 listings for the Z5, the unit on its own for £696ish + delivery, & Z5 + spare bulb for £816ish + delivery ~ still a bargain in my opinion:thumbsup:

Someone on another forum i sign up to is trying to sell his tw10, with 1 hr on the bulb for £200 & has no takers :eek: (when you think a replacement bulb is £130ish, & you get a RGB scart adapter thrown in, it too is a bargain for someone starting out!)

Delh68

jltk87

update:

decided to upgrade to sanyo z4. ivojo has it for around 550 with free bulb replacement.

how much would i get for my tw10h which has only been used for around 200-300 hours from new purchased around 2 years ago so still has 1 years warranty and boxed with everything?

prob going to sell it on the forums.

Delh68

update:

decided to upgrade to sanyo z4. ivojo has it for around 550 with free bulb replacement.

how much would i get for my tw10h which has only been used for around 200-300 hours from new purchased around 2 years ago so still has 1 years warranty and boxed with everything?

prob going to sell it on the forums.

Did you get a Z4 ~ from what i understand they didn;t have many left......

Should try for £200ish for the Epson, if you would be happy with that??

Delh68

jltk87

Del68, have you connected your epson up to a ps3 or hdmi device? tried to connect it up useing s video the other day but it didnt work. if i could get it to work then i might keep the epson. dont know if you can get a hdmi to componant cable? and if so would it work?

with the free bulb the z4 was a bargin and would have been 200 for the upgrade haveing sold mine and the bulb. the z5 is 650 with no free bulb and the optima hd70 is around the same which is double what it would have cost me to upgrade.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom