£25 to fund and a chance to appear in Chris Morris' jihadi comedy....

krish

Distinguished Member
FYI .... any Chris Morris fans who've not heard about this yet
www.warpfilms.com/#page=NewsPage.30:

£25 to fund and appear in Chris Morris' jihadi comedy....

CHRIS MORRIS JIHADI COMEDY TO BE A WARPFILMS CINEMA FEATURE

Following rumours in the press and online Warp Films can confirm that Chris Morris' comedy about british jihadis is being made by Warp Films as an independently funded cinema feature. The script has been written by Chris in collaboration with Jesse Armstrong and Sam Bain and is now ready to shoot. Production will begin as soon as we are fully funded. To that end we are running a number of investment schemes including donations which give you the chance to be in the film.

mail enquiries to: [email protected]
Please pass this on to ten people
An email enquiry receives this auto-reply ...

Dear Lion

At the moment the detonator's going off and you're part of it but until the effect has gone exponential, your mails are being sorted by one person so bear with me.

Many people have asked us exactly what the Four Lions project is. Clearly we can't launch the film before its been shot, but I've pulled together a few paragraphs from the paperwork that's been flying around. Its shameless hype but its accurate &#8211; unlike almost everything you will have read in the press. No one who has read the script could disagree with a word here.
In three years of research, Chris Morris has spoken to terrorism experts, imams, police, secret services and hundreds of Muslims. Even those who have trained and fought jihad report the frequency of farce. At training camps young jihadis argue about honey, cry for their mums, shoot each other's feet off, chase snakes and get thrown out for smoking. A minute into his martyrdom video, a would-be bomber looks puzzled and says &#8220;what was the question again?&#8221; On millennium eve, five jihadis set out to ram a US warship. They slipped their boat into the water and carefully stacked it with explosives. It sank.

Terrorist cells have the same group dynamics as stag parties and five a side football teams. There is conflict, friendship, misunderstanding and rivalry. Terrorism is about ideology, but it's also about berks.
Four Lions is a funny, thrilling fictional story that illuminates modern British jihad with an insight beyond anything else in our culture. It plunges us beyond seeing these young men as unfathomably alien. It undermines the folly of just wishing them away or alienating the entire culture from which they emerge. It understands how terrorism relates to testosterone. It understands jihadis as human beings. And it understands human beings as innately ridiculous. As Spinal Tap understood heavy metal and Dr Strangelove the Cold War, Four Lions understands modern British jihadis.

As for your offer, we're hoping to set up a one click pay scheme soon. We'll let you know.

Hope that helps

Deirdre Steed.

PS Please pass this on to ten more people.
PS. I didn't start this thread to debate Chris Morris, but to pass on the above info to anyone interested in this funding proposal. If it all goes ahead, no doubt the DM/Sun will get on his back again, along with bandwagon jumping Tory/Labour frontbenchers ... as they did seven years ago with the Brass Eye Special.

PoochJD

Hi,

Note the following words, from the afore-mentioned e-mail:

"...which give you the chance to be in the film."

So, even if you cough-up some hard-earned wongah, there's no guarantee you will appear on-screen in the finished product! :rolleyes:

Maybe one of the Mods should change the title of this thread, as it's rather misleading, the way it currently stands! :lesson:

Pooch

krish

Distinguished Member
Maybe one of the Mods should change the title of this thread, as it's rather misleading, the way it currently stands! :lesson:
its just a thread title Pooch (copied and pasted from the quoted text), not a legally binding contract ;)

since you have pointed out an ambiguity, I think that's good enough, without having to get mods involved

Garrett

Agreed kirsh if every one read all though a thread but so may times I see peeps jumping to conclusions before reading a whole thread and posting.

Thread title changed to be on the safe side.;)

krish

Distinguished Member
understood guv ;)

btw, haven't there been past (non-fan fiction) productions partially funded in this manner?
... I'm not sure if people get a chance to appear as an extra/background, or perhaps named in the end credits

though totally different since it was well funded, the Spaced-out website (semi-official Spaced website) appealed to Spaced fans to come down to the filming of Shaun Of The Dead, and make up the zombie numbers

I think Marillion have also been doing this with their recent albums ... though possibly, I think the generous fans actually receive the album when its ready, as well as a possible credit in the CD booklet

ma0sm

Standard Member
"Dear Lion
We're still fielding a lot of enquiries about the Four Lions project and thought you might be interested to know that
Sam Bain and Jesse Armstrong are happy to answer questions about their work on the project.

If you have a question, mail it to [email protected] and we'll pass it on. Sam and Jesse's responses will be posted on www.warpfilms.com and we'll let you know when the answers are due to go up.

Thankyou

Deirdre"

krish

Distinguished Member
update ...
To: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, 31 October, 2008 14:55:35
Subject: STOP PRESS!

STOP PRESS!

We've had some good funding news which means we won't be asking you to back your generous offer with hard cash.

The huge surge in online support may even have helped cause this shift in fortune. Either way your encouragement has been a spur to action and hugely inspiring.

And of course you will still have a chance to be in the film.

watch this space...

CM

PoochJD

Hi Krish,

btw, haven't there been past (non-fan fiction) productions partially funded in this manner?
There have been a few sci-fi/fantasy films that advertised in various UK magazines asking for people to fund and be in with the chance to appear on-screen, but all of them have never got to the point of actually raising the necessary funds, and in one instance, the company involved took the money from investors, and then scarpered... literally! :eek:

Thus, when I suggested that the thread title be modified, it wasn't meant to sound like a terrible warning to people, but just for film/TV fans to not get too excited about this kind of thing, because they tend to fail. :( If major companies won't invest in these productions, there's usually a reason. In the case of Chris Morris, I suspect that he may be considered "too hot" for investors, probably because they don't want to risk being on the end of controversy from anyone who may be offended by whatever Morris actually films and puts-together. :eek:

Pooch

brian s

Distinguished Member
There was a sci-fi film that was to funded to an extent by people/ sci-fi fans who wanted to be in it. It's a long time ago but I think Jason Connery was linked to it. They shot some scenes with the paying persons but nothing else happened.

:(
Bri

krish

Distinguished Member
other CM news I'm pleased to hear about ...
Sent: Tuesday, 4 November, 2008 17:17:10
Subject: November 2008 :: Squarepusher, On The Hour, Chris Morris & Harmonic 313

On The Hour - Chris Morris, Armando Iannucci, Alan Partridge...

"Man is Only 90% Water, but On The Hour is 100% News"

Chris Morris' acclaimed BBC Radio comedy, which spawned 'The Day Today' and legendary characters like Steve Coogan's Alan Partridge, will be released for the first time on 24th November via Warp on 2 Deluxe CD packages, featuring all episodes and previously unheard content!

Listen to clips at the On The Hour Website
Preorder deluxe 4CD sets at Warpmart

In addition, the iTunes downloads of both series are available now, with Bleep to follow shortly.

News audio clips will be posted daily on the website and its RSS/podcast feed from now right up to Christmas, so among all the endless noise about elections and credit crunches, YOU can get the FACTS that really matter.

Arise Sir News!

On The Hour on MySpace | Facebook

krish

Distinguished Member
update ...
Sent: Wednesday, 8 April, 2009 11:18:07
Subject: FUNDED

Hello

Due to this week’s final confirmation on our funding, your chance to be in the film has just become more real... no specifics yet but it might be worth getting yourself physically fit over the summer. We may need you to do some running on camera this autumn (to cut into our shots from the london marathon last year).

This last word on our financing means we can move from faith to reality and actually start putting together a full team over the next few months. Rewrites continue. There have been meetings about posters(this seems to be far more important than actually getting the film cast, written and shot). Location planning reports are good - we are currently focused on the Alps for Pakistan.

More news when the work kicks in. Meanwhile go and see In The Loop. Chris has been banging on about it since xmas & says it is "very funny" and had him laughing "in three different registers".

DS
FYI ... In The Loop is the new Armando Iannucci directed film featuring some of the cast/characters of The Thick of It ...

In The Loop Blog:Home
In the Loop (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In The Loop: Exclusive preview - Features, Films - The Independent
Peter Capaldi denies In the Loop role based on Alastair Campbell - Times Online

[youtube]dQrqMkCuHqA[/youtube]

brian s

Distinguished Member
This old thread blimey. Was of course about Four Lions before it had funding or a title. Funny looking back at another poster getting it wrong as ever.
Pooch? Forgotten maybe but not banned. I still have the Four Lions blu. I must give it another watch.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom