1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£2000 to spend on a telly

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Gary D, May 15, 2002.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i've got two grand to spend on a telly - must be widescreen and with as many RGB SCARTS as possible - will be used for XBOX, DVD and Gamecube, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks to all.

Garyd

PS: as pointed out by some people - SOUND!! I dont need ANY sound processing my AV amp etc will deal with that. The Telly is just a monitor nothing else.

Edited 08:58 16th May 2002

Thanks

2. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Panasonic 36PL30 has two RGB SCARTs and one other. Only NICAM sound though - you need to specify whether you want to do your sound processing in the TV or not.

I have the PL30 with a separate amp and am v. happy with it

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    GaryD

For me the choice was between the Philips 9607 - 4 SCARTS (2 RGB); the Tosh with component input; Hitachi with prog scan; and the Loewe - can't remember how many scarts. I wanted 36" so the Loewe dropped out. In the end on balance it had to be the Philips, and well satisfied I am, but they all have strengths and weaknesses.

You can buy any of these and have plenty of change from £2K, or some change if you go for the Loewe.

My personal - but I stress personal - recommendation : buy the Philips 9607 Pixel Plus for around £1600 and spend the balance on good connections if you don't already have them. Broadcast stuff and DVDs via RGB SCART are gorgeous. The weaknesses of the Philips after a week of viewing -
    geometry is not perfect but certainly acceptable;
    the 2 non-RGB SCARTS are composite only, ie not s-video switchable (pity);
    using the front s-video connection (ext 5) I see a definite dark bar on one side of the screen but this may be the cable or the source. Its only visible on very dark scenes and is not present on any of the other 4 external connections.

4. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also went for the Philips 36PW9607C.

Using the two RGB scarts for Sky and DvD, one other scart for video and the Svid (front - well its actually on the left hand side of the telly not the front) for Xbox.

Cant say ive seen any black bars using svid on Xbox - picture is crystal clear. The front svid does auto swtich as well which is handy.

One word of warning though - if your planning to connect Xbox to the TV for dolby digital you wont be able to as it only has coax digital in :(

Spike

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Spikey

Interesting. I think my black bar may be due to the Marantz 4200 which I use to switch s-video. It has been temperamental in the past with some devices.