£2000 to spend - Is TH42PHD8 still the best?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Aled Mann, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Aled Mann

Aled Mann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone, Im new to the forum so please be gentle. I can imagine you're asked this daily, but to be honest I never expected buying a TV to be this difficult!

Luckily for me I will be moving into my newly built house in 2 weeks time (after an agonising 6 months of waiting, living back at the folks house!!) and want a shiny new plasma TV to adorn my living room wall.

Now, I have partaken in weeks of research on Plasma Screens and have fianlly decided to go for the Panasonic 42" HD model. Or so I thought.

I was sitting in the pub last night when a friend of mine piped up that this was not the best model available for £2k and that it was infact the Pioneer. So my question is this:

What is the best plasma screen on the market for around £2K.

I look forward to reading some of your answers!

Many thanks. :)

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    In my humble opinion - PIONEER.

Cheers,

Martin.

3. stuart2

stuart2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have looked at both the Pioneer and Panasonic and as far as picture quality goes there is not much to chose between them. However there are two points to consider:

1. The Pioneer is more expensive
    2. Panasonic are bringing out new models which are reputed to be even better than the old model

Beware of advice from people who have one or the other and wish to justify there purchase.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    new veira are coming out shortly, the panels arent due for replacement till september time

5. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Just in case that one is aimed at me (and I'm not saying it is) I would point out that I purchased a Pioneer after a lot of research convinced me it was the one to go for - and that was the previous model - the new 436 is even better than my 435.

Anyway, whichever one Aled Mann goes for, I wish him all the best.

Cheers,

Martin.

6. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    That would depend on weather he would like to use a pc and/or scaler with the plasma........

7. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Why?

8. Aled Mann

Aled Mann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey, thank you all for your replies. Any more thoughts? :smashin:

9. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    pioneer or panasonic should be fine. New panasonic range is out now, so it maybe worth taking a look at both in a store. I would not consider any other brands when it comes to plasma picture quality.

10. mikemccue

mikemccue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the pioneer 436XDE from Beyondtelevision.com only cost me £2100 :clap:

11. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    correct me if I am wrong but this looks like someone from 'beyondtelevision.com' is advertising here...

There seems to be a question from a new member(2posts) and a answer from another new member(2posts) praising 'beyondtelevision.com'

Also seen another glowing review of said website (never heard of them before today...)

Anyone agree?

12. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Well go with cooincidence, there is actual evidence to this effect for now ;) We do get many people posting for the first time saying they've just bought a new toy (plasma) and singing it's praises and where they got it from. Apparently AV-Sales get a few of these :rotfl:

Cheers

Andy

13. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    Because the XDE cannot perform native resolution at 50Hz on any input.

14. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    There seems to be a split on the forums between those who love Pioneer and those who love Panasonic. I've just moved from a Panny panel to a Pioneer XDE and I think you'll be happy with either of them. After now owning both I really don't see why there is so much aggro between the 2 camps.

15. drpellypo

drpellypo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've spent about two months looking at different makes/models, and I've finally decided on the Pio xd vs getting a Panny simply because of how it looks. I hate the silver on the Panny. Having seen them both attached to the same HD source, in my eyes, they were very similar. Almost identical in fact. An interesting point is that the Hitachi I bought a couple of years back looks awful quality now - but it's simply not - it's because I've been comparing it to much newer and more expensive models. My point being that if you are happy with it (Mum and dad are happy with their Hitachi), then go for it! It's your Plasma, afterall.

16. mikemccue

mikemccue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry for posting about my new tv, i'm not from beyondtelevision i can promise you, it's just i have been reading good and bad points about my new tv and after searching for ages and reading about some nightmares some people have i just wanted to let other people know how easy it was and what a good price i paid thats all, i won't mention them again :oops:

17. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    i agree, i own a phd8 i decided on what id thought would be best to suit my needs and additional set-up. personally i couldnt give a toss who makes it (i nearly bought the pioneer. to me if a tv/or panel was made by spam. i would still buy it as it is the picture that counts in the end...right?

nice styling is just an extra asthetic that is a bonus. unless your stroking the bezel saying...mmmm your so sexy, who gives a xxxx . its when you turn the display on...watching sexy HD, (when it final arrives, that your paying your hard earned, bucks for). my opinion on my panny the picture is fair/good (through sky +), (but then again you cant blame the display for poor bitrates. the dvd picture is great through hdmi. I feel i still need a scaler and or calibration to really get the best outta my phd8 (and of cause HD).

i managed to get a demo, with properly set up display. to really decide. though you may find it hard to get the two screens together. i believe Av-sales were offering this demo last year but not sure if there still doing it!

good luck !;)

18. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    It depends on your future plans and whether you may want to take the image to the next level.
    The Pioneer is a great TV in the same way they do great all in one surround systems, however, if you want the ultimate you would buy sperates giving you the ability to upgrade parts as you go along.
    I personally think the Pioneer is a great set, but, I would not want to own one, I would rather have the slight hassle of having to use seperate audio, tuner etc. etc. and have a better picture. I also wouln't buy the Panasonic TV range either, out of the Pio and Panny TV's I think they are pretty much the same, some people will prefer the Pio and some will prefer the Panny.

We need a Pioneer panel, and not one made by NEC, a proper Pioneer one that can take a decent external video processor. And this is the point, if you go with the PHD8 you can add a processor and take the image to the next level, at this point it is far superior to any of the all in one TV's out there.