£2000 to buy a dvd player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jack the lad, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Like the title says I have a budget of £2000 for a DVD player. Anyone recomend one :)

I am not bothered about cd playback. Just movies. It will be fed to a amp of about the same value and a projector probs the Panni 500 or Sont HS20.

Now this £2000 is a budget not a target ;) :D

Jack

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You are probably overspending....... you will see very little improvement between £1k and £2k dvd players with the projectors you suggest. That said, Ive never been afraid of a quality source :D

What do you consider most important, picture or sound? My own choice would probably be a scaler/dvd player solution. The money you talk about would probably lead me to an sdi lumagen visiondvi combined with the best sdi modified arcam you can afford

all the best

ad

3. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Cheers Buns :)

I was thinking along the lines of something like the Denon DVD-A11 or Denon DVD-2900. Would it be worth spend ing the extra £1000 for the A11?

Whats that in English :confused: :D

I have been reading some reviews on the Yamaha DSP-Z9 amp. It sounds wicked. It can up convert to Component and to 1080i. Have I got all this around my head? It wouldnt be hard :D

Jack

PS I forgot. So long has the picture and sound are good I really dont have a preference. So lets say picture :smashin:

4. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Get a HTPC...............

5. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Convince me then ;)

Im open to suggestions.

What would the picture and sound quality be like copmared to the above? :)

What kind of system and where could I get one and at what cost?

Jack

:)

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What is your current setup? If you were considering the denon 2900, I would also suggest the new arcam, the dv79 I believe. It will do hdmi. If you combined this with the hs20, you would have a very neat solution and well under budget.

sdi is serial digital interface. Basically it is the cleanest signal you can get out of a dvd player and bypasses many of the steps which degrade the picture. This sort of interface is almost always after market since it contains no copy protection so I believe th manufacturer cannot supply it. Anyhow, you can get sdi video processors without needing to get modified. So basically the sdi dvd player will output the dvd picture in as native a form as possible (480i/576i) and the processor will take that and deinterlace to any resolution, hence you can run at a res that matches that of your display and get optimum picture quality. Though, as I say, this may be overkill!

On second thoughts, I prefer the arcam dv79/hdmi approach..... it probably will get you 80 or 90% of what the sdi solution can do, but does it at much less cost and leaves money for media and something to aspire towards!

as for the yamaha, i know nothing about it. All that can be said is that you get what you pay for, if you want serious video processing, you need a serious video processor (like lumagen or iscanHD). That in the yamaha is almost guaranteed not to be of the same quality, simply based on the fact that this is not yamaha's playing field.

Then, with regards to HCPC's. Ask some questions: Do you use and build pcs frequently, do you mind their silly quirks, do you want to permanently tweak, will anyone except you use the machine? If this is a family system and you have no desire to be playing with pcs (i.e. you just want to put in a disc and go) dont even think of a diy hcpc (irrelevant of what anyone says - I have tried and spent many months sorting problems that those same people couldnt solve). However, you could try a prebuild one from the likes of EPC or Uvem...... but then you are up into the bigger money again....

all the best

ad

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    If I were you I'd spend slightly less on the DVD player (say the Pioneer 868 for example) and spend more on the projector with a digital interface.

The 868 can upscale to 720 & 1080i/p I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong peeps), and with its HDMI output, the picture is stunning, match it with a suitable projector for about £3000 (NEC HT1000, Themescene 5700?) and hey presto, fantastic images and sound. As for an Amp, at £2K you have quite a few options. The current daddy amp imho may well be the Yamaha DSP-Z9, but why not go for one of the high end Marantz or Denons? There may even be some tasty equipment in the classifieds here.

I can see a lot of people trying to flog their AX10i's now the AX10i AS (I think that is the new model) is out. What speakers are you thinking of using for all this, or are you sticking with your current set? If you are upgrading to this level, I would say that you should think about getting a set of speakers to match, as you may not be getting the best out of the new setup with the current speakers, I think the KEF Q7AV package would be ideal with the above mentioned equipment.

8. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    The Denon A11 can be had for £1350 and IS the best dvd player outhere. it produced a better image than my HTPC, has no CUE issues.

and once a few firmware issues are sorted, this will be the DVD player to beat.

Its PAL PROG picture is a revalation. its that good

Does multi channel audio dam good as well, i havent heard better.
    cd is ok too but not the best.

Make sure you demo this machince if at all possible.

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I saw a DVD-A11 at the recent Bristol show, hooked up to the new Marantz Projector, and have to agree, it was the best picture I had ever seen. If it can be had for £1350, that is a relative bargain.

(oh, and it is the Screenplay5700 not Themescene 5700, DOH!!)

10. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Thanks for the replies. So many :rolleyes:

As far has my current setup, its all gonna go with the house :clap:

So I am starting afresh. To be honest I quite like the setup I already have but you know..........................I want better :)

So I have about £7000 to get:

1. 6.1/7.1 Amp

2. High end DVD player

3. Speakers and Sub

4. Projector and 8ft electric screen

So what would my budget allow me to buy?

PS This thread is also on the Amp forum, but asking about a £3000 amp.

So I'm getting it from both sides :)

Sorry if its starting to look like the same thread :blush:

11. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, that's probably because there are few here with any experience at the price point that you are suggesting. However, if you are willing to consider a hunch rather than anything based on experience, I would say that you have got your budget divided up wrongly. You are talking about £2k for the DVD and £3k for the amp, leaving £2k to cover both PJ and speakers. Now the AE500 and HS20 are fine projectors - but will they do justice to a £2k DVD player? I doubt it. From what I've heard, your 1080 is a decent amp so I would be tempted to keep that, allocate a grand for your DVD - perhaps a Pio 868AVi to allow a totally digital link scaled to your projector's resolution - and split the remaining £6k roughly equally between audio and video output devices. That should get you a nice DLP PJ and a reasonable set of speakers with a decent sub. I fairly convinced that would be a system that would sound and look better than what you are proposing - though, like I say, it's not based on experience.

HTH,

_

12. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I think you are right about the budget :blush:

I need to think it through more I guess :)

13. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I would spend as much as i could on the display. a better quality PJ will reap best pic rewards at the outset.

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    but then again the projector is about the most transient technology...... the rate of loss of value is higher with it than anything else......

ad

15. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered an ex-demo or secondhand Meridian 596 or 598 player? There are a lot ot good deals to be had on these bits of kit because they've been superceded by the G series

16. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    email sent :D

ad