1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£2000 ? Get a Panasonic PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by swoop, Sep 17, 2004.

1. swoop

swoop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Long time reader, first time poster on this section but had to share my experiences...so here goes.

Bought a Samsung PM42V4SX - looked very good value, good spec, etc and it was awful - DNIe = Does Not Improve eneything ! (ok I can't spell :zonked: ) blacks are black but loses all fine detail, bad solarising, skin looks plastic with no tone, DNIe makes blacks even blacker and gives everything an "edge". 2 hours with the DVE disc doesn't help.
    Returned Samsung with an 8 hour round trip and 10% restocking fee (grrr!) for a Panasonic PW6 ( + free scart board which they forgot was in it ! haha ! )
    Wow ! That's what I was looking for. Truly fantastic picture quality, even Freeview can look good. DVD through RGB input very very sharp but having seen the improvement DVI makes to PC TFT displays I then got the DVI board and a Samsung DV935 (DVI out) DVD player to replace ancient Sony and I can't get over how good films look now.
    Now going to put together a quiet PC with 54G wifi to stream audio and internet into living room as I'm so impressed with the Panansonic I want to use it for as much as I can.
    Don't be fooled by the specs, trust the advice from the experts on this forum, I should have listened in the first place.....!

2. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was deliberating over getting a PW6 myself...thats sold me!

By the way, PW7 now appears on panasonic uk website alongside viera and pw6. Thought that might interest some people...well it interested me :rolleyes:

3. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    try putting it in your shopping basket.... It just doenst appear on the buy page ;)

4. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was waiting for a review of the S4 Samsung model as this had same ALIS screen of Hitachi but was £400 cheaper, with better connections and looked nicer. However, if the main picture processing boast is DNIe and this doesn't help then I may forget about this set.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Along with the ALIS glass, the samsung processing must be the kiss of death

6. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. swoop

swoop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    kch1888 go for it, and I think you can pick them up for well under £2000 now from AV sales (again I wish I had gone there first). Mine is silver but I don't think there's any difference at all between the silver or black versions, except the silver looks nicer of course :D
    Tonester maybe the ALiS panel reacts well to DNIe as I remember looking at the Hitachi in Comet alongside the Samsung and thinking it was better but not £1000 better, but I would heartly recommend a proper demo against a Panny first.
    On the subject of Samsungs DNIe it does improve the end result but why then not have it on all the time and not make it a selectable feature unless Samsung need to prove you have to use it otherwise things are really bad without it !??
    I haven't tweaked the settings on my PW6 at all, I'll borrow the DVE disc again and if can improve on the already amazing quality of this screen then I'll need surgery to get the smile off my face !

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    PWD6 £1710 at shop.Nexnix.co.uk