1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£2000 for either plasma or lcd

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ricky1, Apr 16, 2005.

1. ricky1

ricky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello to everyone on this forum , this is my first post so please take it easy on me .
    i have £2000 to spend but i dont know if i should go for plasma or lcd screen ,
    i have a pioneer dc313 home cinema setup .can anyone give me there views on what is best .

i have looked at the 32" hitachi plasma and a samsung 32" lcd both look pretty good .

anyway hope you can help me here .

thank ricky

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    £2000 is a lot of money for a 32" screen.
    Is it definitely that size you want?
    Will you be using it with a pc, or just for watching video?
    If you are going to have a lot of pc use, probably would go for a LCD, but look out for fast response times or else you may get blurring (trails) on moving objects.... if you are mainly going to be watching video (dvd / tv etc) then probably best to go for a plasma.... but get a big one!

My opinion...
    lisa
    :)

3. ricky1

ricky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am going to be using it for dvd and mainly freeview and i would say 37" is the biggest i could go for or it would just look out of place in the living room.

ricky

4. ricky1

ricky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if i do go for a plasma say around about 37" which one should i go for panny or hitachi or what any suggestions .

ricky

5. tomleeeee

tomleeeee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We're doing the new 37" Panasonic PE50 plasma with a 5 year guarantee and DMR-ES10 DVD recorder for £1999.99 - Do NOT pay £2000 for 32" Hitachi's and Samsungs!!!

6. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    Try a piece of paper/card the size of a 42" and see if it is too big, some people regret getting a smaller plasma, but no-one regrets buying a bigger one.

7. ricky1

ricky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how does the 37" Panasonic PE50 rate compared to other models at the same price range .

8. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    tomleeeee,

I could be interested in a 37" for the bedroom, so who are "we" that are doing it for the price that you have quoted?

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    John Lewis is selling the 42" PE50 for £1,995 plus 5 year warranty, they also sell the 37" but I can't tell you for what but I'd imagine it would be for around £200-£300 less.

10. twin_decks

twin_decks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    37" (PE50) cost £1695, I checked this from JL yesterday.
    The Pe50 does miss some common features - like PiP.
    The sales rep explained that this would be the budget model with the PV500 being the feature rich product range. I could not get a date or price of the 500 though.

There has been suggestion in the forum that this is not a G8 panel, but Panasonic's web site does say the PE50 is a G8. Can anyone clarify and perhaps comment on what the improvments are meant to be ?

11. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    My lounge is 11feet square and I have a 37" Panasonic PW7 (now available for £1k), it is definitely not too big for the room and with some care over connections, cables etc the picture quality is fantastic.

Buy one of these, a JS Tech RGB to VGA for freeview, and a quality DVD player (component/DVI/HDMI) and I think you will be happy.

lisa