1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£2000 for a projector.. Help!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AV Geeza, Oct 27, 2001.

1. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ive got a budget of £2000 and want some recommendations for a projector. My viewing distance is a max of 15ft.
    Also what is the general life span of projector bulbs?

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Do a search for Toshiba and Sanyo. Theres plent been said about these projectors, at about 2K

3. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi,

£2k for a projector. Are you in a hurry?

The reason I ask is that there is a projector coming to market just before Xmas from a UK company who will be selling a DLP projector with 1024 X 768 native resolution, S-VHS, composite & RGB inputs (it will also work with your HTPC) and a 1200 lumen output for under £2k. Oh, it also weighs less that 3 KG and is about A4 size.

I would love to tell you who it is, who makes it and it's name, but I promised the people who gave me this information that I wouldn't name names or give too much in the way of specifics about who is going to upset the whole of the UK projector market.

This is not vapourware, I have actually seen the unit and I've seen it working. It is incredibly good value for money.

Regards and best wishes,

Dave

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hmmm!

Interesting!!

Should put the cat amongst the pigeons!!

5. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dave "analogueaddict",
    I can wait, especially if this projector is as good as you say it is!
    Is there a date set yet? Is it a quiet model?
    Cheers m8

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Sounds interesting, I wonder how bad the rainbow effect is with this unit.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on Dave, give us a clue! Lets narrow it down...

Is it one of these?

1. Optoma (these ones do look the muts nuts)
    2. Toshiba
    3. Infocus
    4. Plus

You don't have to say which one, just yes or no. Then you aren't breaking your promise!

PS How do I get a cool logo like Jase?

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I bet its a clone of the NEC LT150

9. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Mi own guess is the Dreamvision CineXone, presented at CEDIA in September.

You can have a look at it on their website (www.dreamvision.net)

10. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi,

AV Geeza:

The date is not fixed in stone, but it's going into production next week so I'm figuring second week of December before it hit's the shops, but that's only a guestimate. It was confirmed that pre Christmas was the target and there was a very strong chance it would be achieved. This unit is quiet. The setting where I saw it made it too noisy to judge it's actual volume level, but I certainly couldn't hear it from about 1M away.

TimH:

The 'rainbow' effect was noticeable, but I don't think it would put me off buying it. I currently use a CRT projector (video resolution only sadly) and given the pros (higher resolution, ability to take a scaler, higher light output, size, portability, ease of use) against the cons (black level not brilliant, but nothing a Stewart Greyhawk won't cure and a noticeable 'rainbow' effect) I would certainly be in the market for one of these units. I can tell you it's not as bad as what I've seen on the In Focus and Proxima units which do seem rather bad with this effect to my eyes. The NEC just doesn't seem to suffer as badly. If you know you are sensitive to 'rainbow' (my wife can't see what I'm talking about) then you really need to check out one of these projectors before buying.

Meat:

I'm safe to say it's none of the above.

Mr. D:

You're on the same road I was on. I was wrong! It is not an LT-150 clone, but I did think that the engine inside was out of an LT-150. I was told categorically that it wasn't.

Well I'm glad the makers of this projector have managed to find a niche here. I was really blown away by what this little unit was doing.

Regards and very best wishes,

David

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, <£2K isn't cheap enough!

The 2K barrier has been broken for a while now by some very good HC capable models and I have even seen half decent projectors going for £1500incVAT, so what I would like to see is a <£1250incVAT model that really cuts the mustard.

If someone can do that then I, and my wife, would be very happy bunnies (well I would, she would still tell me it's too much money).

12. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello,

Following the interest shown in this discussion over the last few days I had a chat with the Importer / Distributor of this unit and asked him if he would allow me to start naming names and giving out specifics. He graciously told me that I could spill the beans here on this new projector.

The Projector I've been talking about is a DreamVision CineXOne. It will be available over here for under £2000 inc. VAT and it WILL be available before Christmas (though not by much).

The importer of the dream Vision line in the UK is Lenbrook Uk Ltd who import NAD and PSB. I understand that not every dealer that handles NAD will be carrying the Dreamvision, so I'd check with the folks at Lenbrook to see who near you will be carrying this unit.

As some of you here who hang out at the AV Science Forum will probably know the cyurrent king of the low cost projector circuit is the NEC LT-150. Well from the short demo I saw this is the first unit I've seen that can be considered a serious competitor to the LT-150 that is not a clone.

OK gentlemen, start your engines. The cat is now in amongst the pigeons.

Regards and best wishes,

Dave

13. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Just for everyones info the optoma DLp's are to be distributed by the Loewe branch of Linn distribution in the UK.

So I was told.

The cheaper one will be around £4k, too much if you ask me, and the better one around £5.5k.

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Just my 2p to add to AV Geeza original question (how did yesterday go?)

I played with >12 cheapo panel projectors in my quest for a projector and this is what i learned:

Most are crap at films in comparison to AV targetted projectors. No or poor 3:2 pull down etc

The de-interlacing a scaling left MUCH to be desired. I therefore recommend either getting a very cheap projector and doing pixel mapping with a HCPC. I.E the computer directly addressing the exact pixel resolution (ideally XGA or higher) like Jeff is doing

or

buy a projector geared towards home cinema like the PLV 30 which at least does a credible attempt at de-interlacing and scaling for HC.

People generally don't want to use these panel projectors with external scalers

What would be really good was a cheapo XGA DLP with just a RGB input for £1200 that we can drive from a HCPC.

I still think the ideal HC projectorpanel projector doesn't exist but the SIM2 300 looks great. Even the Sim2 range sufferes from, IMHO poor de-interlacing, you only have to connect an external scaler to the Sim range to see what they are capable of (awesome). Once you do this they really shine. However this is not what panel projectors are all a bout. the 200, 250 and 300 should just be about picking the required DLP resolution WITH good elctronics front end, only the (currently vapourware 300) potentially does this and at what cost?

15. laserlord

laserlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm really looking forward to this new DreamVision Unit, here are already a few pics i've just found:

http://www.dreamvision.net/main_cedia.htm

I was about to consider a PLUS Piano, but i think i'll consider waiting a while longer and see what the competition will do :)

16. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For those of you that actualy answered my original question, thanks for your input!
    Anymore suggestions would still be appreciated!

Graham, I may give you a call.

Nic, I demo'd the Rotel 1095 and the TAG 100x5R and I did prefer the TAG but I wasnt floored by it, I think I expected more! Im trying to find dealers in London that do Bryston & TAG so I can demo them side by side. Im also interested in the Parasound HCA 2205. Have you heard it?

17. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Are you sure about the 1024 X 768 resolution for the Dream Vision CineXone? (aside:Naff type face on the case looks like the cover of a Mills&Boon novel!)

Website seems to be talking about it being SVGA...or is SVGA 1024x768?! (I thought it was 800x600)

The price would be not quite as exciting if it is for 800x600.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

18. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    As you will probably know, last Summer Davis folded and was bought by Dreamvision, a French projector maker. They also acquired Davis's technology and a large part of their engineering staff.

At the Hannover CEBIT, Davis had presented a model called... X-One (surprise, surprise). It had XGA, 1200 lumens and a 0.9-inch DLP matrix (like the Yamaha DPX-1).

So, if the DreamVision Cine X One has inherited the design of the Davis X-One, we can assume that it will have those specifications too. Also, it will have double-speed colour wheel and probably a nice Davis scaler.

Regards.

19. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello fellow enthusiasts,

Grubert:-

Looks like your detective work at Hannover has paid off. The specs for the CineXone are almost identical to the Davis X-One specs you quoted. I don't know about the double speed colour wheel, but the internal scaler was doing a good job. It was running from an S-VHS input when I saw it and the images looked very smooth and filmlike. I took a look at the speedboat chase along the Thames in the opening of TWINE. The bridges they went under (and through) were showing no sign of jaggies and the water wasn't breaking up and looking artificial.

Ian:-

We're definitely talking 1024 X 768 on this unit. I wouldn't have been to thrilled at 800 X 600, but 1024 X 768 is something else.

Regards and best wishes,

Dave

20. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    AV Geeza

I said that would happen, your respect grows the longer you live with it, as I said in the email I missed it first time around but wouldn't be without it now.

Bryston and Parsound 2205 are both excellent, the only realy competition to Tag IMHO. I rate all three are the bees knees, you would be happy with any. Now I wish the competition built amps like the Bryston, bullet proof or what.

21. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Okay, December and Christmas are nearly upon us. But there's been no more news on this thing. Dreamvision's website is silent and un-updated.

analogueaddict, do you know anything?

Thanks a lot.

22. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello Grubert and fellow enthusiasts,

I don't know any more yet, but I've fired an e-mail off to my contact so hopefully I'll have some news in the next couple of days regarding the actual selling price and availability of the Cine X One.

Regards and best wishes,

Dave

23. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too will be in the market for my first projector in the near future. I've read the reviews, searched a little on the web, downloaded the PDF's and thought I had made a choice......then I started to read these forums. I am now back to square one.

I feel as though I 've learnt more from these threads in a few days than weeks of mag based reviews, however, that hasn't helped my situation. If I explain my requirements perhaps people would be kind enough to offer their opinions.

I will soon have a dedicated room with a max throw distance of about 17'-18'. I would like a max image size of 7'-8' (horizontal). Budget is £3000 tops. The unit doesn't need to be portable. Main use will be for projecting DVD's with occasional Sky, TV & possibly VHS. I think (after reading all I can) that the following are important but don't know just how important particular aspects should be compared to others;

Picture quality (obviously top)
    Preferably component input over S-Video
    500+ lumens
    500:1+ contrast ratio
    DLP rather than LCD
    800x600 or higher
    Inbuilt line doubler
    500 or more TV lines

and at the bottom of the list;
    design & appearance
    fan noise

I have a pile of paperwork about the Sanyo PLV-30, Sony VPL-VW10HT & VPL-HS1 & Ask C60.

The HS1 I have now all but discounted as a result of comments in these forums concurring with reputable sales people however I will demo one next to the VPL10. Just as my options were getting narrower I read a thread championing a Hitachi model and a soon to be released DreamVision unit. Another article sings the praise of the Mitsubishi SL1. I am now no further forward.

Is my spec list about right or am I placing too much or little emphasis on certain aspects, or even missing something important out altogether? The best local dealers can offer is to demo only two of my original list side by side, which isn't alot of help, but that's the way it is. Any help appreciated.

Mike.

24. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the same boat.
    I started out having decided to purchase the Sony HS1 but could not organise a demo (the Sony Shops in Dublin were unwilling/unable to set it up for me). There is a new Philips store in Dublin (actually operate by Richersounds) and they organised a demonstration of the Philips Monroe but I have nothing to compare it against.

As a result of reading messages posted to this forum I am now considering other models including the NEC 150 and the new Hitachi but many of them appear to have noisy fans ... as I have little experience I do not know if this is likely to be a problem.

If you do manage to see the Sony HS1 in action please let me have your opinion of it.

Regards

25. MaJong

MaJong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Informatique - I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on the Munroe (£1700 from Germany) it's been on my shortlist but not readily available in the UK..

I'm thinking of the Piano as well - I spoke to Lenbrook (NAD importers) about the CineXone who thought it would be around £3000 and out any day now - my budget is +/- £2K really.

So I'm thinking about getting a Piano via a friend in Germany (Plus won't ship to UK). The UK distributor is launching here from the 1/01/02, but I want it fro Xmas. I think the infocus/Tosh will be £4k so it kind of rules it out...

Saw the MT3 back to back with the HT200 - For casual viewing I was very surprised no to note a huge difference, almost prefering the colours - but in further inspection the screen door became visible (try watching snow scenes!)

gotta go more later....

Regards

26. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The demo room was not the best so I could make any judgement regarding fan noise but I was very impressed by picture quality and by the fact that bulb life is supposed to be 6000 hours. Unless I see something else that appears to be better I suspect that I will purchase the Monroe but I plan to import it from the UK or Germany but do not intend to make the purchase until after Christmas because I would like to find out more about the PIANO.

At this stage my gut feeling is that the Monroe is a excellent piece of kit.

Just a thought ... if you are planning to import from Germany there is a possibility that the Euro might rise in value once it becomes a real currency (as I live in Ireland this makes no difference to me unless I import from the UK rather than Germany but it might impact on you).

27. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Isn't Dreamvision the company that bought out Davis?

The pic in the bottom left looks very much like the model they were working on before they went under.

If these are as good as the old Davis DLS8, Cinema 1 or 450, then they'll be excellent value if they're under £2000.

Gary.

28. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Gary, please read my previous posts on this same thread.

29. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Hi Gru,

Very strange that, as I hadn't seen any of the previous comments when I first read the thread, yet there are quite a few Davis mentions here now.

I'm wondering if I replied to the first page without realising there was actualy two pages to the thread. :rolleyes:

My bad!

Gary.

30. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read elsewhere that the piano has a number of problems including the following:

No zoom. You literally have to move the projector forwards and backwards when you change aspect ratio if you have a fixed-height screen.