£2000 for a 7.1 setup

Jack the lad

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok I will have a max of £2000 for a 7.1 speaker setup (inc. sub).

Any suggestions? :)

I was toying with the idea of 6 (3 pairs @£250) AE Evo 3's (L,R,L & R sides, RCx2), Evo centre (£150 ish) and then a REL Strata 5 (£800) giving a total of £1700.

I cannot site the rear centres on a wall so I was thinking of floorstanders. Is this a bad idea?

Jack

PS I cannot go over this £2000 :lesson: Well not if I want to get laid in the next 2 years anyway :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Edit

I forgot to add they are going to be fed by a Denon 3805 amp :)

Have a look (and listen) at what M&K have to offer if your interest is predominately films. The K range of satellites with a better and cheaper sub than the &K one comes well within your budget but if you are willing to buy second hand, have a look at the S85 speakers which are far superior.

Cheers Ian :)

I had thought of 7 x K5's @£1225 leaving £725 for a sub and stands.

My room is approx 20x16 ft, would the K5's be upto the job?

If they are can you recomend a decent sub and stands for £725 :)

Jack

PS Sorry for all the Q's :)

The K5 should be able to fill the room but I would re-iterate that you should listen to them first to make sure that the "M&K sound" is to your liking. It is to my liking but everyone's tastes are different.

Obviously as a member of the fan club I am going to recommend an SVS sub as the best value sub for the money but I do realize that not everyone is willing to give houseroom to such a large beast. Have a look at the Mordaunt Short 909 which impressed me at the Bristol show this year or the B&W ASW675 which has impressed quite a few others or even a Velodyne CHT-10.

Don't know much about speaker stands but I use Atacama Nexus which are highly rated by magazines

Sorry I can't advise you re the K series - I'm the guy selling the S85's on the classifieds!
I would strongly advise you to consider second hand (not neccessarily mine!).
In the past few weeks of upgrading my system I have bought a Rel Storm 3, a pair of M&K SS150THX tripoles and 3 S125c's incl stands for £2300. Possibly could have got them all for a bit lower, but would rather pay extra to secure the sale. List price for this little lot is double that, a price I could not afford.
All these were boxed and in as new condition, and the feeling of coming away with something far better than you can really afford is great!
Phil

I have heard good thing about the SVS sub mainly from Gonzo :)

I have a feeling they are going to be out of my price range :)

Humour me, how much?

Jack

Originally posted by Philly112
Sorry I can't advise you re the K series - I'm the guy selling the S85's on the classifieds!
I would strongly advise you to consider second hand (not neccessarily mine!).
In the past few weeks of upgrading my system I have bought a Rel Storm 3, a pair of M&K SS150THK tripoles and 3 S125c's for £1900. Possibly could have got them all for a bit lower, but would rather pay extra to secure the sale. List price for this little lot is over double that, a price I could not afford.
All these were boxed and in as new condition, and the feeling of coming away with something far better than you can really afford is great!
Phil
Hi Phil :)

I have just read "For sale" ad. After check the M&K site your gear is a great price. Snag is it will cost me £795 for another pair for the rears and wont leave me much for a sub.

Could I get away with 2 x K5's for sides or would it ruin the set up?

Jack

Have just edited my post - spent £2300 not £1900. Still a good deal.
I would like to say 'of course, definitely' in answer to your question, but I don't know. Oh, the S85's are discontinued now, so you may struggle to find a pair.
IanJ is a bit of a M&K lover and will probably be able to answer this.
Again, not wishing to put you off buying mine, you could always put a wanted ad in for some speakers.
I did that for the S125's and got two replies in 1 day.
You will be surprised at the quality of stuff on offer - all the stuff I have bought, and my own speakers, are 100% unmarked and as new - guys here just seem to take care of their stuff!

I run three M&K MPS 1510 across the front and these are the professional equivalent of the S85.

I have a pair of K4 tripole speakers at the rear and have found that they match the fronts quite well.

A better combination for you (within youir budget) could be a pair of K4 tripoles on the side with S85 as the centre rears.

An SVS 20-39 PCi should cost about £490 depending on where about in the country you live for delivery

Hi Ian

I cannot have the tripoles cos I havent anywhere to site them (windows ect) unless they can be stand mouted?

SVS sub for £490 :thumbsup: I live in Nottingham, do I get it cheaper :rolleyes: :D

Do you reckon that the K5's on the sides or rear will not do the setup justice?

Jack

I think it depends a lot on which airport it comes into.

I didn't realise that you were (comparatively) local. If you want to hear what a combination of M&K Pro at the front, K series at the rear and SVS sub sound like, you are more than welcome to come round as I'm not that far away in Tamworth

Thanks for the offer Ian :)

Gonzo as also offered (he lives a coulpe of miles away).

My wife is 8 1/2 months pregnant so traveling, well planning to travel is a bit of a nightmare.

I will give Gonzo a call and arrange to arrange a demo :)

So what do you think that the K5's on the sides or rear will not do the setup justice?

Again thanks for your kind offer :thumbsup:

Jack

While I think you would be mad not to go and listen to the SVS sub (can I come too?!) I must point out that I have just had an offer on the forums for the S85s so they MAY not be available much longer (although I've not accepted).
Cheers
Phil

Looks like the guys got a bargain :)

I would have had them but like I said not in a position yet :confused:

If it falls through give me a shout :smashin:

Jack

No problems - he's picking them up tonight and I'll post on the classifieds once its gone through.
Thanks anyway for the interest
Phil

Jack daws - I have the box type sub from SVS and it is fantastic - it feels as though it shakes the room at times - but is very smooth and performs without much effort at all.

I bought my stuff after getting advide from the guys on here especially Ian.

I have a 12ft * 11ft room and went for 5 castle compacts plus the SVS Sub (Cost £1150).

I went to Sevenaoks in Newcastle to here there M and K Setup - which I was looking at buying and to be honest was fairly unimpressed. Just make sure you audition them.

Total cost was 340 for the sub, £95 tax etc and about £80 delivery.

The delivery charge was for Manchester which was a little bit odd as Newcastle and Teesside arecloser to me - they were an extra £20.

Hope this is of some use.

Chris

There are three S85 speakers on Ebay here which I would keep an eye on if I were you.

These will combine well at the front with K series speakers at the rear and will perhaps be a more cost effective solution for you

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
i would suggest listening to Monitor Audio Radius as a system as well. its a new system which doesn't sound half bad for the money, a much more musical approach to the whole affair.

I have just noticed another set of S85's on the classifieds! (sold mine btw)
Phil

Will check them out :)

Im not bitter, you could have saved them for me though :rotfl: :laugh: :laugh:

Ha bl**dy ha!! Anyway, these are a little bit cheaper than mine!
Seriously, with these at £1000 they will be the best buy you will make in this home cinema lark - bar none!
Sunday and three cans and two glasses of wine talking
Phil

I have put in an offer if Chris is prepared to wait until the end of May.

EDIT

He is :clap:

I am going for 3 S85's (L,C,R) and am thinking of 4 K5's for rears and sides.

How does this sound to you?

Cheers for the link :)

Jack

Well I went round to Gonzo's house yesterday and listened to his M&K set up with a SVS sub.

What can I say WOW :thumbsup:

The SVS sub is just awesome, the only downside is its look, its like a big black Rolo :D All I have do now is figue out where I can put one and the Missus not be :nono:

Now the M&K's. At first they sounded really bright and harsh on the ears. But I was amazed at the clarity of the sound. Almost too real if you know what I mean. Every detail is there, nothing escapes these things.

When I got home I put my system on. It sounded flat, wooly and the subs just seemed boomy :thumbsdow I always thought that my system sounded great. Oh no, not compared to the marriage of the M&K's and the SVS it isnt.

Stroll on the end of the month when I can replace my set up :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom