1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£2000 budget

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nosh, Sep 8, 2003.

1. nosh

nosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if anybody can can point me the right way on a £2000 budget

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure of exact prices, but you can probably buy one of the largest Toshiba RPTV's for £2K. I would wait until the current line is replaced with NTSC Progressive capable sets. Shouldn't be too long.

check here for current prices.

www.unbeatable.co.uk

You don't say what you prefer- CRT direct view, CRT Rear Projection, CRT Front Projection, LCD Screen, LCD Rear Projection, LCD Front Projection, DLP Rear Projection, DLP Front projection, Plasma.

3. nosh

nosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply nathan I know very little about tvs today last time a bought a tv was 14 yrs ago the first large screen toshiba things are much more complicated now and theres much more choice. I like the plasmas but do they last Ive heard things about them having problems is this true any advice would be great all the best steve.

4. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    You'd struggle to get a plasma for £2000.

5. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or should that be you'd struggle to get a decent plasma for £2000 :devil:

Gary

6. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Definitely consider RPTVs. The disadvantages of these are highly exaggerated IMO (viewing angle, size, daylight viewing). I got a graded Sony 44" for less than £1k and I think it's stunning (do a search on KP44PS2 for more details). Cheap plasmas are to be avoided.

7. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    With your budget I'd spend around £1000 on a Toshiba or Sony 42-44" set. Watch out for special promotions at this time of year. Last year Toshiba offered free cabinets and 5 year waranties with most of their RPTVs. You can then start saving for 50" OR 60" plasma/LCD in 2-3 years when they could well be half the current prices. Alternatively, the rest of your budget would buy a reasonable DVD, amp and speaker set up if you don't already own one.