£2000-£3000 42"Plasma help required!!!

CRAIGYBOY1

Standard Member
Hello all,
I am looking to spend between £2000-£3000 on a 42"plasma for my living room. I have had a bit of search around and the choice seems to be between on of the Hitachi variants 5000 or 500e or the Panasonic pwd6.
I am a total newbie to the Plasma world so I would appreciate some advice.
The Hitachi seems to have a better resolution at 1024x1024 so does this give a better image than the Panasonic?
The general feel I get from this site is that peope rate Panasonics higher than Hitachis?

What would you recommend?

Any help gatefully received;)

Jasonjo

I hope MAW replies to this :devil: :devil:

Not better, just different. The Hitachis use ALIS which is a different technology to the Panny's.

Some people like it, some people hate it (MAW ;))

Bit of a cop out, but you really need to see both with your own eyes to decide, especially when spending £2-3k!!!. Personally, I looked at the Panny 6, Pio 434, Fuij VHA30 & Hitachi PD3000 and chose the Panny 6 because it looked the best "to me"...

JJ

TheBigApple

Originally posted by Jasonjo
Bit of a cop out, but you really need to see both with your own eyes to decide

Agree, although you've made the important first step by creating a short list.

Now arrange a demo and go and spend that money.

MAW

Banned
Just to oblige you Jason. Firstly, I don't actually hate hitachi per se, unlike the korean things that get knocked out by Currys. Also I am not alone in my wishing to steer clear of ALIS technology. I share this position with Joe I think, and maybe Liam if he were going to install it for the customer, though I know he sells them. It's really the extra layer of processing present in the screens that I don't like. You cannot send them native resolution from a PC, and no-one is sure what they actually do to the signal for video. With a panasonic, if you feel that what you see does not meet your requirements, you can usually do something about it, eg a better source will result in better end results. The Hitachis do quite well with poor sources, and 'quite well' with say, Jason, a Denon 3800 DVD. Whereas the panny does not to good with a poor source, and brilliant with a good one. Yes the resolution appears to be poor on paper, but I and many others feel the compensation of high contrast and smooth, filmic image is worth it. If you were connecting a HCPC I'd suggest different again, but with video source, it's hard to beat.

BTW Where are you, and someone will suggest a dealer for your demo.

MAW

Banned
You know there's something about ALIS for me, and just the opposite of the movie. Cameron Diaz, there's another thing now....

MAW

Banned
Actually they're trying to send a rep round. I've told him it'll be bread and water, not coffee and choccy biccies like the others...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom