1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£200 Upgrade Recommendations Please.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by WBC, Jun 25, 2003.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently own Eltax Symphony 6 Front Floorstanders, Mission 77c Centre, Mission 771 as rears and Yamaha 305 Subwoofer.

A Sony STR-DB925 Amp & a LG DVD4750.

I've got £200 waiting to be spent, what should I do with it???

I'm thinking of upgrading the Eltax to something that will match the rest of the Missions (773e or M74?? or another recommendation) but I don't know how much better the quality would be???

Would it be more beneficial to upgrade the DVD player or the AMP?? I know the amp is getting old now but will a £200 amp be any better???? Whats the Yamaha RXV430 like???? Richer have it for £170.

Generally, I'm not under whelmed by the kit I've got, I just know its getting old!!!

All recommendations appreciated!

Thank
    Stace :D

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it's not broke why fix it? But you could go for the 773's to match up. I had the set and loved them. Amps you could get hold of a DB940 £200 2nd hand or new even.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The one thing that you are missing is Pro Logic 2 and a more modern amp may get you more enjoyment from watching TV programs

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You must have a nice bit of kit now ian.

5. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comment Ian but I got to admit I never use the amp for normal tv broadcasts, I only use it for DVD.

Would a new £200 amp be better than my current Sony or would you look at replacing my Eltax????

I've changed my views slightly on A/V kit. I firmly believe it works in the same way as PC kit. Before I bought the LG DVD, I owned a Sony 715. It cost me £600 new and £125 to make it multi-region. I loved the player but wanted something cheap purely for mp3. I purchased the LG and after viewing a few DVD's realised it was as good if not better than the old Sony!!! I think its true to say that new cheaper technology is better than old expensive technology!!!!!!!

Your views????

And naturally more recommendations!!!!!!

Thanks

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Save up for one big upgrade. IMO you could do with replacing the whole lot. No offense like.

Well guess you could keep the centre & rears, I would change the Av amp, left & right, DVD player and subwoofer.

7. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The Mission speakers are very good for the money. I ran a pair with a similare amp to yours and was happy with them, look again I think it was the same amplifier.

I was amazed at what value they represented for £200. I would go for the better speakers to start with. A new amp is always fun because they have more buttons than speakers, so the play factor last for longer :) but I would wait until you have a bit more of a budget to spend on the amp.

8. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,

No Offense taken!!!!

Will say though, that will definately not happen!!!!!! It will certainly be a gradual thing. Generally I'm happy with what I've got.................If it ain't broke why fix it??????? I know its old so I'd like to make a gradual upgrade rather than the big bang approach that would probably spell DIVORCE!!!!! :thumbsdow

I've been bitten two many times before with PC upgrades (due to working in that industry) and I'm too long in the tooth to be worried about the latest buzz. For example, 6.1 is no good to me anyway, I couldn't have a centre rear and as I've said before I'm not particularly interested in PLII as I only use the amp with DVD's.

Most of the broadcasts on TV are crap, I don't think PLII would change the quality of the acting :rotfl: .

So do I use the £200 or put it back in the bank and let it stew until I've got a few more quid?? :confused:

I'd like to spend it really so please come forth with more suggestions!! ;)

Thanks

9. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i run 2 pair of these [ front/rear]in a 5.1 set up, and theyre really good...look nice .....sound amazing..................... and i got em 220 a set[ i had to pay extra for black]

10. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ........So assuming I decided to spend it on speakers (as no-one can come up with a better idea :laugh: :laugh: )

Do I go with the 773e or the M74i ????

Where the best place to buy?? Richer have the 773e instore (allegedly ;) ) for £199 and QED have the M74i's for £211.

COME ON PEOPLE spend my money!!!!!

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll take your money. £100 per hour :devil:

12. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    richer sounds is the place i got them [773e]registered the speakers with mission and got a 2 year gaurantee[it might have been 3year]

13. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan

What d'ya do for £100 an hour and do you wear a wig and heels???? :zonked:

14. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know where I can get the M74i cheap??