1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

~£200 Recorder to work with Sky

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kurtpower, Aug 10, 2005.

1. kurtpower

kurtpower
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm looking for a DVD recorder around the £200 mark. I've got bog standard Sky at the moment but I'll probably be getting Sky+ soon with the new PVR3 boxes now doing the rounds.

What I wanted to know was what's the current leader in this budget price bracket? Preferably I'd like something which would work with Sky.

Is the Panasonic DMR-ES10 any good?

Cheers,

T

2. kurtpower

kurtpower
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know, thinking about it. I'd be prepared to go up to £300 if there was something far better available for the extra cash.

Cheers,

T

3. apokryphos

apokryphos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm thinking of getting the Pioneer DVR-433H-S, it's the entry level recorder in the new Pioneer range and the price seems very reasonable (£275 at Amazon). As I already have Sky Plus, the Pioneer would be used for archiving my Sky recordings, which is why I feel the entry level 433H would suit my purposes.

Anyone have an opinion on my reasoning there, is there some reason I should consider the model up?

4. kurtpower

kurtpower
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an update I'm now looking at the ES20D with the built in Freeview decoder.

5. apokryphos

apokryphos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would you really need the freeview tuner if you've already got Sky? Personally I think a recorder with hard drive would be much more useful, that way I believe you have more control over your recordings.

Edit: This just in, the Pioneer is now £258.92 at empire.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Timbo,

Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature to help you decide. Certainly a HDD/DVDR combi is alot more flexible - especially if archiving from Sky - as you can edit and then archive to compatible media.

The major contenders in the £250-£300 bracket are:
    - Panasonic DMR-EH50
    - Sony RDR-HX510
    - Toshiba RDXS34
    - Pioneer DVR433 or DVR530
    ...in core performance I rate them in that order - but obviously which one is best for you depends upon your specific requirements. For example if all out picture quality or ease of use is important go for the Panasonic. If dual layer recording is important consider the Sony or Pioneer - and the former is preferred as it records to the (considerably) more compatible DVD+R DL. If 'authoring' control is most important then look at the Toshiba. Also bear in mind all machines are multi-format except the Pioneer.

7. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    However, remember that, with the Sony anyway, recording onto DL disks can only be done in letterbox mode, as widescreen is not supported for whatever reason.

Cheers,

Martin.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Rubbish! The Sony records anamorphic widescreen to all it's discs. What it doesn't do on DVD+R DL discs though is record the Widescreen Switching Signal (WSS) which means you manually have to put your TV into 16:9 mode. Hardly a major issue - and one that plagues almost all DVD recorders.

9. apokryphos

apokryphos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info Rasczak. The Sony has caught my interest, that price tag on the Pioneer is very appealing however. I need to do a bit more research.

Cheers.

10. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Reports which I have read say that I am correct - I don't know for sure, as I have seen plenty of errors in magazine appraisals, but I would check it out before making a purchase, if that feature is important to you.

Cheers,

Martin.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Do people actually think I sit at home and make up details on these machines!?! My personal test of the machine - backed up by numerous reports from people who know the difference between anamorphic and letterbox in addition to the user manual itself (page 47!) - means I can assure you it does not downconvert recordings to Letterbox. The machine records whatever is input into it - and if that is an anamorphic signal then it will record that. It will not record the WSS though on DVD+ media and thus the picture will be stretched until you press the '16:9' button on your TV - a trait it shares with most DVD recorders!

Widescreen recording causes alot of confusion amongst newbies especially when it comes to recording. However I have seen so many people put off because of fears that a machine "doesn't record widescreen" - when actually it DOES.

12. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Rasczak, for some reason, you appear to be taking this very personally. Whilst I in no way claim to be an expert on the subject, I do know the difference between anamorphic and letterbox.

I can also read and will quote you what was said by Ian Calcutt in his review of the RDR-HX510 in the August 2005 issue of What Video and Widescreen TV

Quote There's a shock hidden in Sony's user manual footnotes, however. If you want to transfer an anamorphic 16:9 programme on to DVD using the RDR-HX510, it only works with higher bitrate recordings on DVD-R or DVD-RW, not the '+' formats (you get a letterboxed image that needs to be zoomed to fit a widescreen). So, to get the best quality widescreen recordings, you should avoid DVD+RW and DVD+R, which unfortunately means double-layer discs too. Unquote.

I am not claiming that he is right (or vice versa for that matter) but one point I would make is that we (Joe Public) often rely on magazine reviews to help us make our decisions on which piece of kit to purchase, but what chance do we have when reviewers cannot agree on the fundamentals?

Cheers,

Martin.

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Damn right I'm taking it personally. Effectively you are doing little more than calling me a liar!

...which takes me back to newbies and a lack of understanding! :lesson:

14. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    The last thing I am doing is calling you a liar - if I am reading something wrong, then tell me.

Cheers,

Martin.