1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£200 player advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kev3, Sep 29, 2003.

1. kev3

kev3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked up a Cambridge Audio dvd57 from richer sounds. I was upgrading from a wharfdale and was expecting the new player to blow the wharfdale away, but as yet i've not been that impressed.
    I've been back to richer sounds to look for a replacement and decided on the pioneer 565, but the manager at richer sounds insists the cambridge audio player is better!
    any advice on an alternative player would be appreciated i'd be will to go to £300 for the right one!

Thanks.

2. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Of course the RS salesman would say the Cambridge is better, they own Cambridge and so have a higher profit. I have the 656 and it is superb, although I haven't seen the 565 I'm sure it's basically the same machine. Does the Cambridge offer SACD & DVD-A ? Although you probably haven't got any media for these formats yet, you will need them in the (near) future.

IMHO Pioneer are the front runner in the budget home cinema market at the mo'.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,236
    Don’t Richer sounds own Cambridge audio????

The Pioneer is one fine DVD player although from reading other threads It may have trouble with Panasonic sets on reg 1 using the RGB but not S-VHS mode (not a big deal though).
    Got mine from AV-Land £8.99 more but it is UK sourced and was delivered next day.
    Make sure if you are getting it from RS that its multi reg as they sell it in standard mode cheaper.

4. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been into a couple of Richer Sounds stores (my tendancy to ask the same question in a few different places if I don't understand something ;) ) and in each one they pointed me towards the Cambridge Audio DVD players. A find that a little strange seeing as the 565 is a similar price...

5. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    trust me. The PT staff no more than the FT staff.
    I should know!!!
    565 all da way

6. kev3

kev3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, didn't know RS own cambridge!
    I'll be taking the dvd57 back as soon as they get some 565s in.

7. flibb

flibb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if you are aware but you can take stuff back to RS for up to 14days. Just swapped a cambridge audio for a tosh SD-520, had the CA for 10 days. Main reasons for the swap are (not in order):-
    1. I can use my amps remote to control dvd
    2. DvD now in black, sad but wifes happy.
    3. When in standby nothing on the screen, cambridgeaudio had stanby on front, slightly annoying but not the end of the world.
    4. More setup options, laods of buttons to play with
    5. Can make subtitles off by default, couldnt see a way to do this on the CA.

I have also convinced myself that the picture is better quality, not sure if this is true but hey I'm happy :)
    Cheers
    Flibb

8. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For £250 you can get a 7700

9. kev3

kev3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just swapped my Cambridge 57 for a Pioneer 565, was within the 14 day exchange period.
    Now that i know that RS own Cambridge Audio, i noticed how biased they are! all the reviews on the walls are for cambridge and they sell mainly cambridge leads! and they push cambridge every chance they get.
    The cambridge 57 is a decent player, but there are little things that annoy the main one being when it is in standby mode it says StAnDbY on the display!
    I'm sure i'll soon convince myself the pioneer is a better player!

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,227
    Ownership of Cambridge Audio is a little more complicated than that........... The real owners of the brand are Audio Partnership, who are also my employers (as they control MS as well). AP was set up with Richer money with a UK distribution controlled soley by RS.
    Here's where the fun starts
    Audio Partnership bought itself out in 1998. It is technically independant and now sells CA products to 30 other countries but is still bound into only selling CA products to RS in the UK. However as Mordaunt Short was purchased after this point we were able to sell to other UK dealers and be distributed through Marantz Gmbh. This was a statement of intent that can be taken as a direction that we'd like to travel in.
    And the 565 IS better- shouldn't take too long to work that out ;)

11. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I bought both of these and they are great - the pioneer has the edge though as it is a universal player - Except for DVD+RW which has narked me bit!!!!

So get that player changed

Andy

12. flibb

flibb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For some reason RS arent listing the multiregion Toshiba SD520 on their website, but it can be had instore for £180. If you do a search on their website up it pops.
    Cheers
    Flibb

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,236
    They will play DVD-RW though.