1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£200 Budget

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jacko, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Jacko

Jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, can anyone suggest a good budget player for around this princly sum. There are so many players out there. Please let me know what you think. Also any good review websites besides HCOC. Ta

2. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I'd go for the Tosh SD100E - I have seen it advertised multi-reion for around this price. Probably will not be bettered at the price.

3. Jacko

Jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, have looked at the Tosh, looks good,, but was hoping for a DD 5.1 out so I could poss conect amp at a later date. What do you know abou Scan or Encore ?

4. IainG

IainG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer 535. Had the choice between that and Tosh. Chap from Richer Sounds reckons Pioneer is a far better player! Unfortunately there are no reviews on Pioneer at the mo but is basically the same as 636 without the decoders.

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Check out the Medion player at Aldi if you can find any left.
    It has built in Dolby Digital decoder and componant video output & multi region hack, all for £130.

Tim

------------------
    Perhap's today is a good day yo die

6. jonny

jonny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do not buy the medion player or any other no brand budget model for that matter! they are all crap compared to what you can get for a fraction more!
    Iv been through all two budget models in just over a year because they went wrong after about seven months! Ive just upgraded to the pioneer 525 and the difference is tremendous picture, sound and quality all beat both of my budget players hands down
    you can get a 525 from upgrade heaven for £180 with multi region and no macrovision, this is where i bouhgt mine and id throughly recommend them!

7. Jacko

Jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. I am coming to conclusion that for a few more quid I can get excellent branded player.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    only 1 sensible choice m8, wharfdale 750 - £180 and yer buying a quality player with a brand name that you can trust on the front! Plus you get a load of clubcard points when you buy it!

9. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or do without the decoder as most new amps have dolby digital and dts and buy a pioneer 530, £198 from techtronics and other places if you don't trust them.

it silver tooo
    oooooooohhhh

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, the Jesus H
    but he got bored of that so changed to some latin sh*t
    'which is nice'

10. RobG

RobG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a wharfedale & a Yamaha DSP-A5 amp. The Wharfedale sounds better that my Cambridge Audio CD player which cost more !!!

I've never compared it side to side with any other DVDs so I can't comment on picture quality, but again I'm really happy

I think the Wharfedale is excellent; my only complaint it that the user interface is truly awful and slow; the player takes eons to execute commands (i.e. you end up pressing eject or forward 10 times!!). Also on some discs you can hear the CD spinning - I sit about 2-3 metres away from the player and during some silent parts of some films you can hear the disc whizzing away.....

It also supports DTS which is a bonus - dunno how many sub £200 players do...

enjoy your purchase regardless :)

Rob

------------------

11. clone

clone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer 530 at www.upgradeheaven.co.uk has got to be the current best buy under £200.It is only £179 inc free shipping this month.
    Its got to be a better buy than the Wharfedale with its disc incompatibility problems emerging.Other Wharfie owners that have returned their players and bought the Pioneer have posted that the Pioneer is much better.

12. ISCM

ISCM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Warfdale as a second machine, because the Pioneer 919e that I have is to heavy to carry around the the different countries that I work in. After 1 day I returned the player to Tesco for a full refund.

Later I bought a Pioneer 525, because it was light enough to take with me on the aroplane. I have to say that although the player is noisey and the remote is not good, the picture is just fine using RGB and the sound is good for a DVD player.

If the Pioneer 535 is as good or better, I would recomend that as a budget buy. Do not forget to buy the machine ready modded.

------------------