£200 Budget; Which Player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nic@highgroundd, Mar 10, 2005.

1. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The brief:

Recommend the best £200 DVD player (+ or - £50).

Stipulation; the 'audio' track MUST NOT drift out of sync (like so many other players).

Anyone?

2. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about your audio track question but the which DVD topic has been covered many many times in this forum. Would suggest you have a read through.

Panasonic S97, Samsung HD745, HD-945, Pioneer 575, Toshiba 330E etc are a few

And Have a look here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193817

3. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the same dilemna as you. I've asked a million questions, made a short list, then tried to arrange demos. Sevenoaks Holborn came the closest to having what I want (and they've been super helpful in the past), others just blatantly said my budget wasn't high enough to justify the effort. I've phoned pretty much every dealer in London, no one will let me try a Denon 2910, Marantz 4500 and Pioneer 470.

Anyway, after millions of questions and various answers, I've decided that in all probability there isn't gonna be much difference between the players at this price range. Perhaps I might notice it by demoing them one after another, but played individually I doubt I'll be able to tell. I've therefore made my decision based soley on price and features (or rather lack of). As I don't want HDMI or DVI, I don't want to pay for it and I hope that similarly priced players without these features will make up for it in departments that are more relevent to my needs (that's my theory anyway).

In the end I've opted for a Harmon Kardon DVD22 which I've found new for just £139.99 (RRP £225). I've seen it criticised here, but tell me a player for that price that hasn't. According to the ****** - I mean specs - it uses a pixel by pixel de-interlacer so hopefully this will be good for my component connection and it also has a built in test card. The dealer will give me a full refund if I'm not satified - we'll see. I hope to write an honest review early next week.

Good luck with your choice. BTW if you live in the North, Marantz DV4500s can be had at £119.95 (I phoned and checked they had them in stock).

4. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Where is that then mate?

5. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think he probably means P Tyson. I rang them before. You have to get them from the store as they wont ship marantz gear for some reason (marantz wont allow it). Very far to travel if you're down south.

6. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Peter Tyson. They won't mail order Marantz equipment though as Marantz has recently changed the terms of their agreement.

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/marantzdv4500.shtml

I phoned yesterday and they had them in for collection.

EDIT You beat me to it GFS. Pretty frustating them being so far away; though I always thought there'd be at least one advantage to living in the North... :devil:

7. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Not much use to me then!!

Damn this mail order nonsense!

8. danrichmond

danrichmond
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    philb (or anyone for that matter),

I have a brand new fully guaranteed Marantz DV4500 in the classifieds is you're having trouble getting hold of one. See details in the classifieds if you're interested. Thanks

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    dear me £179.00 for black I was tempted for a minute!!!!not anymore!!!

10. danrichmond

danrichmond
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know how they manage to do the silver one so cheap - nowhere else comes close! It's meant to be an absolute hell of a machine even at £200.

11. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's funny - was browsing for 4500 today and saw it on Peter Tyson's site for £119.95 and assumed it was an error, and if I ordered it (it implied it was available mail order but obviously not) they'd phone me up and point out it was a mistake, and they'd be a debate about the legal position!

Shame it's only available to personal callers, just ordered quite a bit of kit from Peter Tyson and not only were prices very competitive but the service was terrific - courteous phone calls, promises kept and fast delivery. Highly recommended!

12. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Yeah shame about the mail order thing,i would have got one at that price!

13. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I take it the Marantz 'is' the model to go for sub-£200?

14. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Marantz DV4500 and cant recommend it enough! As the review says in 'What Home Cinema', it is far superior to any budget model. It's Picture, sound, and build are all superb. They say it seems like a far more expensive machine, and most manufacturers would consider this their flagship model.

I have informed a few other members recently that their is actually a silver DV4500 brand new on eBay. I would check it out. It seems a bargain.

15. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Sounds good,but I want it at 120 squids!!

16. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haha after all my big talk last night, I think I've changed my mind again... (what a muppet :rotfl: ). I still maintain that the hi-fi press talks nonsense and in the main are just generating reviews to sell magazines (and I don't just mean WHF), but unfortunately I'm a sucker who despite my apparent semi-enlightment is still sucked by it (which is probably worse).

GFS, I'm starting to think you might actually work for Marantz ;) is there any chance that you could scan and e-mail me that review? As yet I haven't been able to find any reviews - on or off-line - and your enthusiastic praise is the only experience I can find. I've found a dealer who'll do it for £175 multi-region and I think I'll get it tomorrow morning.