£200 budget for AV Amp/Receiver

Black20VT

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this question has probably been asked thousands of times before, but I'm after some quick and simple help and hopefully some links to sites with some deals as I'm not after the ultimate amp, just something cheap that'll compliment what I already have.

Basically, I'm after:

- At least 5.1
- At least 2 Optical Inputs (DVD & Sky+)
- DTS 96/24 & ES NEO

It'll be driving a pair of TDL RTL 2's and a Jamo sub, centres and rears. Would also be nice to have a silver finish to match the rest of the equipment :D

As I say, links to sites/offers would be great, along with advice.

Thanks for your patience and for reading :smashin:

Surely someone can help?

50 reads and not one response

:lease:

if you can stretch to about £300, the new sony STR-DB895D has some awesome reviews, and a DAB tuner. also it's 7.1 and rated at 100w per channel :D

Where have you read the reviews?

Forgot to add on the original post, it'll be mainly used for DVD's and Sky+, and no so often, CD's.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I have the Kef 1005s and purchased the Denon 1906 to drive them. Absolutely delighted with its performance for DVDs and CDs at a great price. Look around for a good deal - RRP is £299 so a little over your budget but well worth it. What HiFi Sound & Vision awarded it the best receiver under £350 in their 2005 awards ..... quality!

Have a look at this old thread, may give you some ideas re what your after.:smashin:

Black20VT said:
Where have you read the reviews?

Forgot to add on the original post, it'll be mainly used for DVD's and Sky+, and no so often, CD's.

in the latest edition of home cinema choice, first time i have bought the magazine :)

i am considering it myself, alough i will probably get the VSX-1015 which i really like, but thats more money than the sony.

they could'nt rate it highly enough, one of the best scores i have seen in a review!

fortywinks said:
There's a nice Yamaha RX-V650 rds 7.1 AV reciever MINT on e bay....(not mine BTW) and the guy wants £230 which includes delivery(I have PM'd him a few times) it's also for sale on another forum for £200 delivered and I'm a bit confused about it...bit too much for me as I have spent a fair bit lately, otherwise I'd snap it up.... here's the link for you.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5875844634&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

cheers
Carl
Looks pretty tempting!

What about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-RV-V64...873110648QQcategoryZ72406QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi, Black20VT. :)

If you can stretch to £270, I'd recommend the Cambridge Audio 540R V2. The original (V1) did a sterling job with both movies and music and was very nicely built. The V2 is even better in terms of features and performance and is only £20 more than the original 540R (which was £250). Here is some information:

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=106&Title=Azur+540R+%28version+2%29

You can also read its manual here, which I often find useful to do before buying something:

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets/documents/AP191181azur540RV2UsersManual.pdf

If you can get to a Richer Sounds store (or their website), you can buy the 540R V2. If you really do not like it, I think you can take it back.
I hope this helps. :)

Regards,

Carl :)

So for the money what would people recommend. The Denon 2105 or the Yamaha or maybe even one of the Pioneers on eBay?

Henry said:
So for the money what would people recommend. The Denon 2105 or the Yamaha or maybe even one of the Pioneers on eBay?

I am selling my Denon AVR 3802 in the classified section if you are interested. It's GOLD and perfect working order.

hoppaz said:
I am selling my Denon AVR 3802 in the classified section if you are interested. It's GOLD and perfect working order.

After something in silver to be honest. It's for the bedroom and to keep the g/f happy! But good luck with your sale!:smashin:

Henry said:

tbh i only want the pioneer to match my dvd player, for £300 that sony i mentioned is a bargain! i mean how much is a decent DAB tuner? the one in the sony is suppost to be top notch :smashin:

Thanks for all the info, all very interesting!

If given the choice, would people go for either the

Yamaha RX-V357

or

Denon AVR-1705

:lease:

The Yamaha just shades it then in the price bracket you are looking at. The Denon has slightly better spec but for what you are looking for (and most people come to that) the Yamaha is a five star performer at around fifty quid less!

Enjoy! :smashin:

Abbeygoo said:
The Yamaha just shades it then in the price bracket you are looking at. The Denon has slightly better spec but for what you are looking for (and most people come to that) the Yamaha is a five star performer at around fifty quid less!

Enjoy! :smashin:
That's interesting that you say that, as the cheapest I can find the Yamaha is £169.95 at Richer Sounds and the Denon for £139.00 on eBay.

Does that change your decision or is there somewhere else I can buy them? :confused:

Anyone?

Sorry to be so pushy, it's just I'd like to get hold of one this weekend if I can.

Thanks.

I'd buy the Denon if it was me. It's a great price.........

D.

Not too sure if it's too late but I just got a Sony STR-DE698S from empire direct for £145 (inc del), not a bad price and it has 2 optical inputs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom