1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£200 budget for an av receiver help!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by scouse, Feb 2, 2003.

1. scouse

scouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a budget of £200 to spend on a receiver. Is the Marantz 4200 the best amp at this price or are there others?

Thanks

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    There are others, I have a Technics sadx950 that was £215 at the time £200 ish now also a few from Kenwood, Pioneer etc depends what you want? look at empiredirect QED and Hifibitz for prices as well as RS

3. scouse

scouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I want good connectivity and future proofing as well as PL2. I need all channel pre-outs for extra amps at a later stage. I need at least 2 optical inputs etc etc. Does this change your recommendations??

4. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    the marantz sr4200 isnt' future proofed- no 6ch in
    the technics stuff sounds just far too weedy- lucky to get 40w rms into 8 ohms out of those things....

i'd look and pray for a Yamaha DSPAX620 for £200- it doens't have PL2- but its not that much better than PL1 for Pro Logic encoded sources e.g. Frost on ITV...and as for using PL2 for music- i had high expectations for it, but unless the HK PL2 is way below par, I'd leave it well alone...anyway...i digress...the Yamaha is 90WPC/RMS 8 ohms, 6 ch in, full binding post connections for all speakers (which Technics doesn't have) decent tuner, Speaker A/B switching as well, respectable stereo performance (uses module from AX496 stereo amp)...I swear if you look around RS or Hyperfi there must be a AX620 languishing around somewhere....

edited to add...it also has front mounted and rear opticals (tho coax always sound better) and full preouts

5. scouse

scouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks a lot rozzar you've been most helpful. My challenge has been laid down...to find a yammie 620...watch this space i suppose.

Scouse

6. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Well, I wouldn't say that PLII is not worth... And many people here say the same, I have read not long ago somebody said that it is better to have PLII and 5.1 than the 6.1 and no PLII... I have it, and I like it very much...
    As far as I have been told by many people, for that budget the best would be a Yam. 430. I have the 530, which is exactly the same in terms of sound, and it is great. And it gives you all the present standards except discrete 6.1 (that is, a center rear channel for real), but it has a virtual center channel (I tried it, and you can feel a little difference, anyway, it is not that important, since the rear sound is supposed to be somewhat diffused).
    I think that, due to the actualization, it is better to have the 430... I would raise a little bit the budget and go for the 530, since the remote is much much better, and it has more possibilities for connection in the rear panel. I was lucky, my 530 was only 350 euro, which is the retail price for the 430... Maybe you can find an offer like I did, right now in Germany the 530 is around 380 euro everywhere, I don't know about UK...
    The Yamaha 430 or 530 is extremely recommended at that budget, at least that was my final conclusion after lots of questions here and also in shops (this is why I bought it ;-) ). I was told that, in that price range, it has no rival. REmember that I am talking in terms of germany prices...

7. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    cribeiro
    if you actually bothered to read the original thread, scouse said that he needs full preouts- the cheapest Yamaha to have that is the DSPAX630.... you can't have 6.1 without having DPL2.... I stand by my opinion that IMO PL2 Emulated and Music modes are gimmicks and all that PL2 Movie mode does is feed more action to the front speakers...

scouse- go get a 620 my man- there'll be one out there for you

try
    www.adtrader.co.uk
    www.hyperfi.co.uk
    www.superfi.co.uk
    www.loot.com

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Trust me it has a lot more than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    why not look at at a denon 1603 or try the classifieds page FOr £200 you are asking for alot brand new and i think you will struggle, For what you are asking for I think al ot of research has to be done on the spec and models that fit and then look for an ex-dem or second hand unit.

9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477

Well ... I assume first you mean that you can't have 6.1 out without having DD-EX / DTS-ES!!

Also I'm sorry if I'm wrong - but I can't anywhere see that the original poster stated he wanted 6.1 outputs ... all he said was "I need all channel pre-outs for extra amps at a later stage" - so maybe you should read the thread too!

And I will counter your assertion that PLII Movie is a gimick ... I certainly find in my setup (Marantz SR5200, Rotel RA1060 for front, B&W 602 Front / 601 Rears (3) / LCR60 centre) that the sound I get from PLII is much improved over PL.

Victoria

10. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    "I want good connectivity and future proofing as well as PL2. I need all channel pre-outs for extra amps at a later stage. I need at least 2 optical inputs etc etc. Does this change your recommendations??"

so, preouts for all (of the 5.1) channels then...:confused:
    thats what the Yamaha 620 has

won't people read what i put? ***- i didn't say that PL2 movie was a gimmick, I said that PL2 music and emulated were gimmicks- in fact any DSP mode apart from PL, DD, DTS and Logic 7 are gimmicks IMO

no, i mean what i write- you can't have a 6.1 amp without having PL2- they were both introduced more or less at the same stage...or maybe the Sony 1070 didn't have it...anyway i'm digressing...u can't have a decent 6.1 amp with full preouts for £200...not even ex-dem and not everyone wants to have another set of wires trailing to the back of their room (unlike me...I'm happy with me cables ;)

11. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    hi scouse
    yamaha dspax620 £199.98 delivered from hi speck brand new.
    gonzo:smashin:

12. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rozzar,
    there are plenty of amps out there that have EX & ES processing but no PLII, even more if we're talking THX EX and ES and loads more still that don't use one of the licensed decoders to create a sixth channel. If you wish to make yourself look foolish in the eyes of others, you are at your own liberty.

Scouse,
    I appreciate that it is nice to have pre-outs for all channels, but in terms of sound quality it may make more sense to go for a better inegrated amp, especially if you are planning on adding better amplification at a later date - you may find you don't get as much out with a cheap amp used as a processor as you might think.

13. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    If it's of interest the Sony 1070 is around £240 now.

14. scouse

scouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks a lot everyone for your input...it has made for an interesting read. Regards to the sony...where can you get it for £240 ???

thanks again

15. scouse

scouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    EvilMudge: Are you suggesting not going for an av receiver and just get a really good 2 channel stereo amp??? I think i might have misunderstood???

16. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    LINK It was £240 over the weekend.The price has now risen slightly.

17. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scouse,
    Sorry, I meant to say integrated AV amp rather than just integrated amp. The pre/processing section of the budget models doesn't respond to adding better quality amplification in quite the way you'd think, because normally the limitation is in the pre-amp section rather than the power. At more expensive price points it's the other way round, so adding power amps does more justice to the better quality internals.

18. scouse

scouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've been looking at richersounds and hyperfi and they each have a £200 av amp. Right...which is better the Yammie 620 or the Pioneer VSX810??? I'm relying on your experience here...

Thanks

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Not having heard or seen either offering I would say the Yammy, Pioneer owners may well dislike this but I would say on reputation I think the Yammy would get it.

20. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also am look for an AV receiver around the £200 mark, I have shortlisted the Sony STRDE585 an STRDE685, both have PLII.

21. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, the AX620 is a better amp than the 810. The 811 vs 630 is a more difficult comparison.

22. scouse

scouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    what about the marantz 4200 against the yammie ax 620...? I know i keep firing questions but i need your help...

thanks

23. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being an owner of a Yamaha RX-V620 (The same model with a tuner), I will say that I am very happ with it, it's well built, sounds good and has a fair bit of future proofing / connection capabilities and lots of clean power.

At the price of £200 i would say that the DSP 620 is a bargain

24. IanW1977

IanW1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I bought the 4200 last month.
    For DVD's its superb, but for Pro Logic 2 (TV) it's not so hot.

Maybe the Denon 1602 ?

25. DownToTheBone

DownToTheBone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Given your budget I'd see if I could stretch to the DSPA630 (thats if you can live without the receiver). Sure I've seen it at RS (website) for £279.

DTTB

26. ZAMM

ZAMM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Pioneer VSXD810 any good. I have been looking at the richersounds website and it is by far the best offer on there, at 199 with DTS es, PL2 and DD, along with 2 optical ins and 6channel in (I have no idea what that is for) and 6.1.

But I went to a richersounds today and they said it was quite old and not that good, I don't know if this is true or because they said it was out of stock.

They recommended a panasonic sa-he70 instead, it is the same price but has no 6.1 and only standard DTS.

Which would people advise is the best?

27. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 810 doesn't have Pro Logic 2, and for this reason alone should be avoided, unless you watch exclusively 5.1 encoded DVDs. Other than that the spec is pretty good, but the 811 (the replacement model) is better though more expensive.

28. ZAMM

ZAMM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EvilMudge according to the richer sounds website and the pioneer website, in one of the comparisision PDFs they have it says the vsxd810 does have PL2.

29. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't comment on the accuracy of the Richer Sounds Website, but I can comment on my friend's VSX 810, which does NOT have Pro Logic II processing. :devil:
    PLII was introduced on the 811 - which is the model listed on the Pioneer website. The 810 has everything the 811 has except PLII.
    Hope this clears things up.

30. ZAMM

ZAMM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stand corrected evilmudge.

I have a further question, which would you consider to be the best option, the 810 with DTS ES and PL1, or a Yamaha HTR5540RDS or or Yamaha RXV430RDS with standard DTS but PL2

I will be using the amp for TV, through a nicam video and for games with an xbox (the main use but that just needs DD) and from DVD again using the xbox.