1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£200 alternative to E55?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Scuba Steve, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Apologies for what, i'm sure, is about to be a foolish newbie question but if I don't ask, I won't learn!

I am considering buying an E55 which by all acounts seems to pass the scrutiny of most of you but from what I can tell it doesn't record on RW discs. Am I newer to this than even I think or would that seem to indicate a lot of disc buying and throwing away? :confused:

If this is the case, can anyone give me an alternative for around £200 that will allow me to re-use discs without compromising playback quality.

Thanks in advance and apologies again for my in-excuseable lack of knowledge!

2. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Pioneer DVD220-S, 170 from Richer Sounds. DVD-R/-RW.

3. Scotty306

Scotty306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The E55 uses DVD-Ram discs for re-writing

4. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just so you know, Ram disks are similar to -RW disks except they will not play in any dvd player only those specially those designed to play them (all of the Panasonic range). If you plan on lending your recordings out or intend using them on another machine then the -RW would be the better option and as already recommended the Pioneer would be top of the list. If however you don't intend to lend them out and it is only for personal use then the Ram disks are perfect as they are more reliable and durable. In any event, the cost of -R write once media is so cheep now that you could afford to by a pack of 25 disks (you can get the really cheep packs for under £4), record on them once and hand out to all you friends when your finished.

5. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks folks. Much appreciated. If the type of disc was not an issue would your recommendation be the Panny or the Pioneer?

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Panasonic without doubt: better recording quality (upto 3hrs at full resolution as opposed to 2hrs 20mins), component output and progressive scan all favour the E55 over the 220. That's not to say the 220 isn't an excellent machine though...

7. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak

I have just been doind a direct comparison and the lack of progressive scan on the Pioneer had reared it's ugly head.

The E55 order is going in now!

Thanks again.

Steve

8. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered mine from Dixons web site.

Promotional Code: YOUATWORK

For £173.83.

If you buy something else to force the value over £200 mark, then enter Promotional Code: DIXONS20 (Only till 31/11/2004)

Then you will £20 off orders over £200 !

Boots were also selling them for £199, with a boots card you get £20 off and 4 free toys, all for £180...

Regards,

Bluebear.
    :)

9. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that. Have already ordered before seeing your post but only paying £1 more from empiredirect so I think I can live with that!