1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£200-300 spend on home cinema sounds, please advice !

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by snow-munki, Jul 17, 2005.

1. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

looking into getting a new amp and 5.1 speaker for my birthday in a few weeks time and no idea what would be best.

Have had a look at richer sounds and seen the Pioneer VSXC301 for £140.

Adding front floorstanding speakers, centre, rear and subwoofer.

but no idea what to choose really. Richer Sounds is pretty clear but too spoilt for choice :p

any advice guys !

Thanks

2. Cinemafinder

Cinemafinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Small budget - £300 to get amp and speakers - The Pioneer c301 is from the reviews fairly good - but for £10 more you could for example pick up the Yamaha 450 from SuperHifi, a 6.1 channel amp.

As to the speakers, Remembering that some decent wiring will also be required, I suggest you buy the Mission 73i floorstanders from Richer sounds - or alternatively The m33i which is currently on sale at Superhifi at £99 - Try and get a listen to them to compare.

As to the rest of the speakers you'll have to save up for them - the amp and the mission speakers will take you to £250 - you should be looking at spending the rest on wiring.

3. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    thanks very much for the reply. Still not 100% sure on what to get.

Saw this at currys today:

http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/davdz100/davdz100.htm

is around £200 and seems to do a pretty good job.

oh quick question says its 208watts but the box says 720 watts ??? how does that work ???

thanks again

4. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    One box systems can be great to set up and leave, but they give you little in terms of an upgrade, so you will need to shell out for both amp and speakers if you decide to upgrade again.

I have the Pioneer amp you mention, and I'm very happy with it as a starting amp. Downsides are the lack of component inputs and spring clips (should be binding posts), but it does Scart switch, which is very useful, and to my ears sounds fantastic.

Although you are itching to get 5.1 sound, a single pair of good stereo speakers will improve film watching no end, and are a great base for building on your system further. In fact, I only added surround speakers to this set up (no centre or sub) and I am very happy with the results. Patience is the key, and you will notice the improvement at every step.