1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£200-£300 budget, All-in-1 Surround Advice Required Please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Zarch, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    All,

I have a budget of around £200 to £300 and would like to move back into the world of surround sound. Its been quite a number of years since i owned an old Kenwood Dolby Prologic II amp (which was massive by the way). Now i've moved house i haven't got room for full size units and big speakers. So i need nice small speakers with the kit. I dont think i've even got room for thin speakers on stands. The room is about12 foot square with the TV in one corner! :thumbsdow Not ideal setup i know!

What is the defecto standard now? Dolby Digital and DTS?? With prologic II old school? Apologies for the layman questions, but i feel "out of it" over the last few years. :rolleyes:

Also, with regard the subwoofer, can this just be stuck on the floor behind the TV? Or does it matter where it sits?

Can anyone make any recommendations of makes, models, prices etc. Or even units to avoid.

Ideally i'd like it to region free too, but could probably live without that if needs be.

I've always had a soft spot for Sony gear, but happy to consider anything as long as it looks ok!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your time.

Mick

2. aldo

aldo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sony davsc5 is wot you need,£180@robert whyte ltd.plays dolby 5.1,dts and sacd.good heavy ,classy bit of kit.i play music dvds thru it all the time at max volume[40],you can put the bass anywhere you want in a room as long as you space the other speakers correctly. i have mine connected to a 42 viera the picture is top class,i use a £45 monster cable but one about £25 WOULD BE JUST AS GOOD ,HOPE THIS HELPS YOU

3. aldo

aldo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Almost Forgot Its Region2 Onley[sonys Are Not Hackable]. As For Ones To Avoid ,iv Had 2 Panasonic 5.1 Systems Over The Last 5 Years,great When They Where Workin But The Minute They Where A Year Old They Stopped Loading Up And Went In The Bin

4. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    The DAV-SC5 speakers appear to have little stands attached, can these be removed and wall mounted? Does they have the "screw-in" attachment or a hole for a screw to rest on? Are any brackets provided?

Also, can the little stand be removed from the front speakers, again, to maybe place on stands etc

Thanks for the reply

5. aldo

aldo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you attache the little stands,the speakers come on their own. i tried to put the front ones on the wall by screwing a screw in and hanging them from it but they went all lopsided ,i think you have to get some brackets from sony.

6. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Aldo, So do the speakers have holes from screws in the back or the screw type holes for attaching stands etc? (not the ones that come with them!) Cheers.

7. aldo

aldo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they have holes with threads in them .you have to buy sony stands or brackets.i have mine placed on shelfs ,on the stands provided. you will love this system,their are similer sony systems on the market for around this price but theas are cheap plasticky things and to my eyes dont look any better than a matsui or bush products, the sc5 was £500 when it was launed last year and feels every bit of it

8. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Just spoke to Robert Whyte, the DAC-SC5's they have are manufacturers A grade. Which to quote them means "A graded product will either have been found to have a fault during manufacture, or have been dead on arrival. The item will have been fully rectified by the manufacturer and represented for sale. All items are in “ As New” condition, are in their original packaging and carry a 12 month parts & labour guarantee"

Anyone got any opinion on this type of A grade stuff?? £187 including delivery does look exceptional value for this piece of kit.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, what to do??

9. aldo

aldo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine dident have a mark on it ,if it doesent go wrong in a year then it should be a good unit,ihave bought loads of stuff from this company including a vierra and sony gx3 dvd recorder £180 ,[£350 in comet].take my advice and bite their hand of,your getting a bargain,

10. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Well i've took the plunge and ordered the DAV-SC5 from Robert Whyte. £187 includiing delivery and 1 year warranty.

I know the Denon is the most recommended unit on the forum, but i couldn't stretch to paying £395. :rolleyes:

Unit should be arriving Wed/Thurs, so i'll report back.

mmmmmm, tough choice which film to watch first now to really show it off.

Finally, can anyone recommend a test dvd to get all the levels right? or is the in-built test adequate?

Cheers.