£20 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse recommendations

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by nwgarratt, Mar 12, 2013.

1. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    I was all set to buy the MS Wireless 800 keyboard and Mouse set but think the mouse looks too cheap. I bought a new keyborad and mouse set last year and the contacts for the mouse batteries broke off when changing them. The problem was the batteries was half covered by the mouse chassis making it hard to get them out.

I need to have a single transmitter (nano preferably), on/off button on mouse and decent battery life for mouse to avoid taking the batteries out too many times. I also want a number keypad.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    Anyone have this Logitech keyboard. I see both the MS 800 and this one is at pcworld for same money as Amazon so will check them out.

Logitech MK260 keyboard and mouse

3. Tracey360

Tracey360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Spooky. I've just bought the Logitech MK260 from Asda this evening after the spacebar on my existing keyboard stopped working. So far so good.

When I tried the MS Wireless 800 I didn't like the reflective keyboard surround or the recessed keys. The Logitech is a matt finish and is much nicer.

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    Thanks. I didn't know about the reflective surround. The last one that broke was like that and dirt showing up was a big problem.

I wouldn't mind knowing how good the mouse is after some use. Does it come with a off button?

Was it £23 from Asda ?

5. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,290
    No on/off button on any of it. It senses you're using it. Had ours for a while and it does the job, although the click on the scroll wheel is a bit hit and miss.
    No Caps Lock indicator either, although I am not sure any wireless keyboard has ;)

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  7. Tracey360

Tracey360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yep, £23 from Asda.

8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    I will be going to PCWorld shortly. I don't like glossy but I do like the MS keyboard.

My keyboard started playing up not connecting to the transmitter so I ended up taking it off and putting on a old ps/2 one. That was fun until In realised I had to go into the bios to enable it.

I have a nice wireless Trust mouse for use on netbook but still want to use a single usb port.

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    Well PCWorld was rubbish. No sign of the Logitech and also no sign of it at Curry's.

I did like the look of this advent one even though it is glossy but PCWorld instore wanted £30 compared to £20 on their site.

ADVENT C312 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Set Deals | Pcworld

Anyone know why there is a Business version of the MS Wireless 800? It is £18.29 at Amazon compared to £19.99 that they also sell. Despite being glossy, I liked the keyboard when I saw it and the mouse seemed better to hold.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    I decided to give Advent a chance. I got one and so far I am liking it. The other issue I had with the MS one is being 44cm in width. The advent one is 39cm and saves quite a bit of desk space. I would have to angle the MS keyboard round more.

The mouse although more making more noisy, is more comfortable than the MS one. It uses just one AA battery and the keyboard uses 2 AAA's. Just need to get used to the different layout now and check the battery life.

After a couple of hours, the only thing to get used to is the page up,page down,home and end need the function key as well to work. I can live with that for a smaller keyboard.

I was looking at a compact keyboard originally but wanted a number keypad. Trying to do numbers on my compact Acer keyboard without a keypad with the function is not easy and using /,-.+ and * requires either the function or shift. Not easy to remember which one is which so gets very irritating quickly.

Also, the difference with the Business MS 800 keyboard is a plain brown box rather than a retail box which costs another £1.70.

11. Dan3000

Dan3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Is anyone using their wireless keyboard and mouse in conjunction with their existing keyboard and mouse? I want to use with the MS Desktop 800 set or the Logitech MK260 in bed for games, mainly Steam puzzle games but I want to keep my existing desktop set up for Starcraft. Will the pc recognise both sets of keyboards and mice?