1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£20 HDMI cable vs £80...?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Fluffy-Bunny, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just wondering,

If I were to buy a HDMI cable for £20, is there any difference in terms of performance between this and a cable that costs £80+?

2. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question FB....I have a £50 3M cable and I would love to know the answer to...I also have a HDMI cable that came free with the dvd player so I might give it a go and let u know here how it compares (although its not as long and I sure need the 3m cable so it wont be to much of a blow if its the same pq lol)...ps I see from your other post that you have the S97....same player as I have....they are a gr8 little player, you have chosen well IMHO :thumbsup:

3. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I thought that HDMI and DVI being digitial, there would be no difference between a cheapo cable and a super high performance, as its a digitial signal, but maybe component connections could differ in terms of quality as they are analogue...? :confused:

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    With DVI / HDMI, if it works it works and you won't see a benefit spending more money. I think the situations where a cable is "edging it" and a better cable will provide palpable improvement are few and far between.

However the £20 cable may not work at all, depending on a lot of factors such as length, bandwidth, the display device and the source. In that case spending £80, say, on a different cable that does work is money very well spent...PJ

5. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would a £20 HDMI cable not work at all?

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +996
    Well a friend of mine recently compared some Maplin HDMI cable versus some Chord Silver Plus HDMI cable. After doing verious testing on his Pioneer 435 we came to the conclusion that there was no discernable difference.

If you're an expert at these things then maybe there might have been a difference, but to our eyes they both seemed the same! I don't know if that would have been the case for a pj though...

7. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Is this not the same as a SPDif cable comparison?
    All cables are not equal?

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    i would imagine on cheaper players at shorter lengths it wont make any real differnce what HDMI u use.....but for high end players and/or at longer lengths it could play a part.....even digital cable still needs screening to prevent signal loss/interference......my PJ is 8 metres from my DVD so i had to plump for the QED 10m HDMI for about £110.....(remember, it is 10m long) which seems to give a very nice picture, will be interesting to test it against the similar length component cable i have on order and see if there is difference between the two....

sadly im out of money now, so i cant afford to buy even a cheap 10m HDMI to check...mebbe one day i will..lol

9. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry, I can't believe that a more expensive cable can make any difference at all to image quality when it comes to digital connections.
    Being digitial surely its either present or not, there is no "middle area / interrference". Is it not like a light switch, the picture is either on or off? if you output a "1" over a digitial signal, surely its still a "1" when it reaches the display device, it hasn't become 1 and 2 fifths...?

10. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    Just out of interest I am puzzled as to why people think a digital signal will either work perfectly or not at all. Are we saying that there could be no partial loss of signal with a digital connection. Is there some form of error correction on a digital input?
    regards

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Not sure if HDMI is the same, but DVI certainly was designed to extend no more than 7.5m. I'm no physics expert but I am prepared to believe that electronic signals can degrade over distance hence more expensive materials are required to keep the signal healthy. For, say, a 1m cable however I think any claims of superior performance on esoteric cabling are pretty dubious.

...PJ

12. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I believe there is an inbetween state (or "edging it" as I described it in my initial post) - for example you'll find comments on this forum about "snowy" signals which are fixed when the cable is swapped...PJ

14. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its all about length :D

Short cables cope fine, longer runs and resistace kicks in,better , thicker cables will obviously be far superior when you are going 3m or over.

15. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of curiosity, if I were to buy a "reasonable" HDMI cable, where and what cable should I be looking at, can someone please show me>?

16. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    there already many threads running that pose this question, i think it is fair to say digital either works or it does not work, as the signal is binary which means signal is either on or off, as opposed to an analogue signal which is a wave where peaks and troughs is how the signal is developed, so a loss of quality would mean the signal does not reach its peak as far as performance goes.

17. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Do you apply this theory to spdif then?
    I assure you that there are very much measurable differences between cables.

18. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If you look at an "expensive " Kimber HDMI cable (£80 I think) from RussAndrews.com, ferrite clamps are fitted either end.
    These Ferrite clamps can be purchased very cheaply from HiFi News Accessories club (see www.britishaudio.co.uk - £12/pair small. £14/pair lg).

You can see for yourself if they make a difference (Ferrite absorbs high frequency noise) to your HDMI or DVI cables. They certainly affect SPDIF coax cables between CD Transports and DACS.
    Hitachi even clamp the speaker cable on their plasma TVs! :thumbsup:

19. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    i am only going on what i understand of how the signal is passed, with spdif then surely the light signal can be dimmed i dont know how this would affect the final signal, is the amount of light relative to volume/quality,a very good point and i would like to know the answer??

20. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about stop assuring and start showing.... Some evidence would be good.
    Please ensure that said measurements also show how said measurements effect the signal and the output.

21. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would guess that a digital signal can be attenuated as can an analogue one. Whats stopping a digital signal becoming corrupt? A small amount of corruption would surely just give a worse picture not a complete loss. It may or may not be noticeable depending on the degradation. I would guess that a corrupt signal would just exhibit noise as the decoder cant decide what to do with that information ie., is that a 1 or a 0. Without error correction it cant decide and may do either. There would have to be a lot of information missing before it decided there is no picture. Its been a long time since I was an engineer so if someone in the know wants to give us the lowdown I will be happy to be put straight.
    regards

22. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    How about you have a read here...........for starters
    There used to be a sticky (some years old) here but it seems to have gone.
    I will lend you a bit of bell-wire if you like.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?postid=1743236

23. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    It's not just (or even) 1's and 0's you know.

24. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    got fed up reading that, i want facts not to sift through whats usefull and whats chitter chatter, its easy to post a thread instead of giving straight answers :mad:

25. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I think you are getting confused.
    Last time i checked SPDiF was not an optical interface (TosLink).
    Straight answers?

OK well try screening an impedance matching (or as close as you can get to it) for two places to do some research as to why a £200 cable may not "be the equivalent" to a correctly designed cable.
    There are a mulitiple posts here alone on the subject do i have to type word for word for you?

Seriously, in simple electrical engineering terms all cables are not equal, it is of little concern to me whether you accept this or not.
    Whilst the bit-stream is hardy the interface and transfer of is less so.
    A simple search will help you along the way.
    If you think it is all snake oil a la' bi-wiring then you have already answered your own question and the 99p shop is calling you.

26. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    physical digital interface.. so coax must fall in with cables, toslink optical or fibre optic.
    as far as i am now concerned you have lost credibillity, i asked for an answer and you cannot give it,your last comment makes no sense alabing.
    as far as the 99p shop i dont think what they have to offer is suitable for my needs, where as you should perhaps get the gherkin extracted from your sole, then perhaps you could find the words :hiya:

27. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Doh!
    I think you will find it is Sony Philips Digital InterFace
    Toshiba Link

Dummy

28. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    thats what it stands for very good, what it means is physical digital interface do a google..stop trying to be clever it dont suit you

29. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
  30. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    You clearly have not the first idea of what you are talking about.
    Linking to a "ripping site" says it all really.
    I think you and i are done here.