1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£2,500 (or abit more ;o) to spend

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by ecnirp, Oct 22, 2004.

1. ecnirp

ecnirp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a budget of about £2500 (can be stretched a little if really necessary ;o) for a new TV, either LCD or Plasma, Ideally i'd like a 42", I want something easy to use (wife proof), gonna hook it up to Sony DAVS 550 surround sound AMP/DVD and NTL digital reciever box plus TV aerial use when I'm recording from NTL.

I was wondering if anyone has spent that sort of money recently and could recommend a decent setup/place to buy?, looking at this forum, the Panasonics seem to be held in high regard, any advice welcomed!

Thanx.

2. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Two choices really, the panasonic PW6 for £1650 or the Panasonic PW7 for £2013.66. Both prices are from av-sales.com and include one free board.

Buy the component board (RCA) which you would connect your sony amp/dvd to via a component lead (something like a 5m Van Damme ) 3 RCA to 3 RCA component lead for £60.

This Plasma doesn't have any TV tuner built into it so if you want to watch another channel then you will have to buy a cheap freeview box.

The best picture on the Plasma from cable and freeview is gotten by converting the RGB signal from the Scart lead out of the Cable and freeview in a VGA signal using a JS Labs RGB to VGA converter. This only accepts one scart input so you also need to buy a scart master controller . You would then buy a 5m Van Damme VGA Lead and connect this from the converter into the Plasmas inbuilt VGA Lead.

So you would connect as follows:

Cable ----> Scart Master controller
    Freeview ->Scart Master Controller ----> JS Labs VGA Convertor ---> Plasma VGA Input.

So for PW6 price would be as follows.
    PW6 £1650, VGA Convertor £127, Master Scart Controller £55, 5m component cable £60, 5m VGA Lead £78 giving a total of £1970.

Add £400 if you want to get the newer model - very little difference and yet to be proven that it is better although potentially more compatible for High Definition TV in a few years.

You wont get a better picture than this for that sort of money.

No sound can be gotten from the Plasma so the wife has to be able to operate the amp but that's it.

EDIT: Also need a Desk Stand or wall mount .

You may also want to consider an Extended Warranty to be on the safe side but this doesn't have to be bought for 6 months.

Can't recommend AV Sales highly enough. They are better than any other high street or internet company. They give great advice if you phone up with your requirements and don't oversell. Their after sales service is also second to none. Some other companies are very slightly cheaper but not in the long run when you consider the risk of poor service and the costs of their extras.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  4. ecnirp

ecnirp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats great, thanks for the advice, panasonics look the best quality/value for my price range, so I think I will look at those, want to see one in the shops rather than online before i buy over the web so going on a shopping run today... I've got a Phillips Pronto remote, so all the AV functions are automated from there so even the wife can use it, unfortunately she has seen the new Phillips 'mirror' TV's in selfridges in the picture frame, so she really likes that from a 'will look nice in the living room' view!!!

has anyone seen much of these new Phillips Mirror TV's?

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    ecnirp if you want one of these stled TV's IE a mirror or a Picture drop me a PM and I'll put you intouch with some people who can supply panny's in pictures or mirrors.....