£1k to spend in Comet 40"-47£ 3d,which?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hoping people will be able to help me with my choice.

I have a 1k Comet card for my previous tv (Samsung 40" 3d c750)

I liked on this tv : vivid / bright screen , the look of the tv.
I hated, motion blur / judder / 3d was ish..

So far I have 3 to chose from:

Samsung 40" d7000 - had a 3d demo in Currys and I was blown away, not seen it anywhere else in sd.

PANASONIC TX-P42GT30B - not seen one in action, great reviews on here, I used to own a Panasonic plasma before 3d and enjoyed it. Also looks like a nice package on Comet website, tv,2 sets of glasses,3d blu-ray all for £919.00

LG 47LW550T - like the idea of passive, had a demo in Currys and could see the 3d easier that my old tv but the quality wasn't as good as the Samsung d7000, what appears to be a good price 47" for £800.

Anything else I should consider? I play only some games on the tv, watch sd 50% but only rubbish stuff, blu-rays/hd 40% , 3d/games 10% - although this would increase Im sure with passive !

Regards..

Have you looked at Samsung PS51D550 or PS51D6900?? You get 51 inches for under a grand and excellent 3d picture quality. Also, you will SERIOUSLY appreciate blu ray movies at this size :)

Have you looked at Samsung PS51D550 or PS51D6900?? You get 51 inches for under a grand and excellent 3d picture quality. Also, you will SERIOUSLY appreciate blu ray movies at this size :)

To big, I wouldnt go under the d7000 for Samsung either due to the 3d issues on the d6xxx series.
Thanks for your input though :thumbsup:

To big, I wouldnt go under the d7000 for Samsung either due to the 3d issues on the d6xxx series.
Thanks for your input though :thumbsup:

The PS51D550 and PS51D6900 are both plasmas and have no 3d issues. Atleast nothing I've ever come across in the D550 and nothing I've ever read in reviews.

Anyone else?
Do you think its worth waiting for the Boxing day sales? are Comet known for dropping prices then on higher end tv's?

Last edited:
Sony looks nice, nice cash back, really like the idea of passive on the Lg though :(

Gt30b could well be the one though..

i am going to richer sounds tomorrow have a look with the possibility of buying the 46GT30 with 3d bluray player, 2x 3d glases [only if they are the latest gen] and some blu rays..

its 1099, id be selling the blu rays and player, id rather it be 1000 not 1100 tbh

GT30 is a fantastic set, tho not as bright as LCD, the Samsung D6900 is also plasma but brighter than the GT30 so worth a look. On most things the GT30 beats it out the box(un calibrated) I highly reccomend you have a decent demo of both sets, idealy in a demo room. Two of the best sets of 2011.

GT30 is a fantastic set, tho not as bright as LCD, the Samsung D6900 is also plasma but brighter than the GT30 so worth a look. On most things the GT30 beats it out the box(un calibrated) I highly reccomend you have a decent demo of both sets, idealy in a demo room. Two of the best sets of 2011.

Would love to have a decent demo in a demo room, nothing close to me like that, hence why I ask questions and read threads ect on here :thumbsup:

Would love to have a decent demo in a demo room, nothing close to me like that, hence why I ask questions and read threads ect on here :thumbsup:

Where are you? have you done a store search on the Panasonic UK site?
If no luck the best place to look at sets IMO is JL, dont know what your locals like bur mine has less harsh lighting near the TVs and staff let you properly play with the sets, inc setting up a player. I highly both these sets have clear benefits one over the other. I think the GT30 is the better set but some prefer the look and brightness of the D6900.

Where are you? have you done a store search on the Panasonic UK site?
If no luck the best place to look at sets IMO is JL, dont know what your locals like bur mine has less harsh lighting near the TVs and staff let you properly play with the sets, inc setting up a player. I highly both these sets have clear benefits one over the other. I think the GT30 is the better set but some prefer the look and brightness of the D6900.

I'm in Deal, Kent, I don't drive either ! Will just have to grin and bear it in Comet!
I think the Gt42" or Lg47" passive are the short list now, although the d7000 3d I could see very well !
Now its just deciding if to wait for the sales after Christmas !

Do Comet price match Currys ect?

I'm in Deal, Kent, I don't drive either ! Will just have to grin and bear it in Comet!
I think the Gt42" or Lg47" passive are the short list now, although the d7000 3d I could see very well !
Now its just deciding if to wait for the sales after Christmas !

Do Comet price match Currys ect?

Prices are very cheap now, dont forget Jan sales are for stock clearance, products that arent shifting. There may be further discounts when 2012 models are due out or with Currys and comet I guess it may be different, sneaky so and sos put their prices up before Christmas so they can put them down again. Im sure both will price match.
Well worth going further out to find a better dealer like JL, RS, Sound and vision, get a mate to take you in exchange for lunch or a pint.:) You must have a JL near, way better place to buy from than Currys or Comet, better service and free 5year.

Prices are very cheap now, dont forget Jan sales are for stock clearance, products that arent shifting. There may be further discounts when 2012 models are due out or with Currys and comet I guess it may be different, sneaky so and sos put their prices up before Christmas so they can put them down again. Im sure both will price match.
Well worth going further out to find a better dealer like JL, RS, Sound and vision, get a mate to take you in exchange for lunch or a pint.:) You must have a JL near, way better place to buy from than Currys or Comet, better service and free 5year.

Thanks for your help again, I have a Comet card hence buying from them !
Will probably buy today, will Comet let you take a disk in to try 3d / sd or a usb stick?

Is this a good package price?

Comet | We Live Electricals

Also one last consideration, if I were to stick the tv on the wall then would I have more scope with height with the Lg passive set? So confused , think I will go and buy today...

Is this a good package price?

Comet | We Live Electricals

Also one last consideration, if I were to stick the tv on the wall then would I have more scope with height with the Lg passive set? So confused , think I will go and buy today...

Looks a good enough price to me, dont let them con you into getting an expencive HDMI you DONT need them and 1.3 is fine for 3D if you dont have 1.4 kit.

The filter on the GT30 can effect vertical viewing but only at the extream(so if you sit maybe a couple of foot away and look up you may see the filter, or indeed looked down on the set. tge review touches on this). If the set is at the correct comfortable level you wont have a problem. LGs passive sets are LCDs so will have viewing restrictions to the sides no matter what you do.

Take a film and stick with you, last sales moron I spoke to at my local said sorry sir not allowed to play anything other than the demo:rolleyes: Def worth asking though.:)

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help, my wife is no telling my she wants the tv on the wall opposite the main window in our front room, that could cause a problem for the gt30 plasma couldn't it? big reflections?

At present we have the tv in front of the window but thats how my 2 year old broke the tv hence buying a new one !

Problem with any shiny screened TV potentially, not just plasma. You'll need to check the screens on the shortlist :)

Well Im going to Canterbury now to play and buy.

I have 4 places to demo - none that great !
2 x Currys
1x Pc World
1x Comet - to buy !

Wish me luck :hiya:

Well I bought the 42"gt30 in the end - very nice tv, a little dark, I can see a bit of a flicker also, cracking picture.

My wife really really liked the Lg w550 and loved the passive 3d and could see it very easy. I also know though that I wont get as good a sd picture on the Lg?

Ive got a horrible feeling the gt30 will go back for the Lg passive, probably the wrong thing to do?

Im probably still as confused as before, my wife took the box of the gt30 outside so its now wet so I dont know where I would stand returning it.

Confused..

Have you adjusted the GT30 so it's not so dark?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom