£1k standmount suggestions please

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by PC1975, Aug 29, 2013.

1. PC1975

PC1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,480
    Hi,

I am downsizing from my current Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T floorstanders. The reasons are that I live in a flat and the floorstanders are a bit too powerful for the neighbours at louder volumes.

I have the Tannoys paired to an Onkyo 609 av receiver. If there is one criticism I have with the Tannoy/Onkyo pairing its that the highs can be a bit too bright at louder volumes. I know the Onkyo av recievers are regarded as bright sounding.

I'll be sticking with the Onkyo for the foreseeable future. I want a pair of standmounts that are a more comfortable listen at louder volumes than the floorstanders. I don't want to go too small and would prefer a speaker with a separate bass driver.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Kef R300's. I know they have a metal dome tweeter but it has been described as quite sweet sounding. They seem to be about as good as you'll get at that price point.

I can not afford to go over £1k so anything like MA GX100 are out of my reach.

I would really like recommendations for good rivals to the R300 at the £1k price point. Any feedback on the R300's would also be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    Take a look at the B&W CM5 bookshelf speakers with 165mm (6.5") bass drivers and response down to 45hz at -6dB. Priced at about £799/pr.

The CM series have a reputation for being exceptionally clear and detailed with smooth clear controlled bass.

PDF Spec Sheet -

http://www.hifigear.co.uk/media/uploads/ENG_FP27979_CM5_info_sheet.pdf

B&W CM5 stereo bookshelf loudspeakers Hifi Gear

The Dynaudio are incredibly vibrant speakers with huge Sound Stage, though they are typically 4 ohms speakers, I'm not sure how well you AV amp will tolerate that.

Bookshelf Speakers Dynaudio EXCITE X12 | hifix.co.uk

Bookshelf Speakers Dynaudio EXCITE X16 | hifix.co.uk

Unfortunately, if you change you Front speakers you are somewhat bound to also change the Center speaker to a matching model. Though that could be left for a later upgrade.

The basic B&W CM series Center speakers is £449 -

Centre Speakers Bowers And Wilkins CM CENTRE | hifix.co.uk

They Dynaudio "X" series center is £495 -

Centre Speakers Dynaudio EXCITE X22 | hifix.co.uk

Give some serious thought to FOCAL speakers. Much like the B&W CM series, these are stunningly clear speakers that do not have hyper-exaggerated bass.

Focal 806 V Stand Mount Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

Focal 807 V Stand Mount Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

But once again, the matching Center speakers is a bit steep -

Focal CC800 V Centre Speaker at Audio Affair

DALI also makes a high quality detailed speaker, and are certainly worth a look and a listen. Though a bit hard to find a speaker in your price range -

The DALI IKON are highly rated, and would keep you well under budget -

Dali Ikon 1 MkII Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

Dali Ikon 2 MkII Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

Dali Ikon Vokal 2 MkII Centre Speaker at Audio Affair

To move up above the Dali Ikon, you have to move to the Mentor series which runs above your stated budget.

I would expect the very low cost KEF Q300 to be an excellent speakers, and to keep you well under budget. However, the very similar KEF LS50 has received nothing but praise from reviews, this is definitely an exceptional speakers with bass response to 47hz at -6dB and a price tag of £799/pr. Though, I don't think there is a matching center speakers. You would have to use a center from the Kef "Q" series.

Though pushing your budget to the absolute limit, the exceptional KEF R300 is an excellent speaker -

KEF R300 Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

6.5" (165mm) bass driver in a 3-way configuration with bass response down to 42hz at -6dB. Priced at £999/pr.

That should at least give you a few possibilities.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  3. technarchy

technarchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi, I think the solution to your problem would be to use a much better amp! Has your onkyo got pre outs? If so try a decent stereo amp on the front tannoys,the extra oomph would control your speakers better & make lower volume listening more enjoyable! For example onkyo,7 channels for £500 so about £80 a side or a decent intergrated say £500 plus equals £250 a channel! I'm afraid I haven't heard tannoys but maybe look at 2nd hand amps! More bang for bucks & easy resale if you don't get on with it! Maybe try a friends stereo amp or a home demo from a dealer?
    Also try granite blocks or paving slabs to tame the bass which I annoying the neighbours! Amp wise maybe try leema,musical fidelity,exposure,naim & creek for starters. Hopefully another member could advise more!
    Regards, technarchy

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    I can't say that Technarchy is completely wrong, and while I hate to criticize the very well liked and popular Onkyo amps, the buzz on the Internet is that Onkyo make fantastic Surround Sound amps, but the fall a bit short for music. Though I can't say I speak from personal experience.

My only experience with Onkyo has been in stereo amps, and they seem fine.

Replacing the front amp channels with a Stereo amp is one way people improve the sound quality of an amp they already have. It doesn't pay if you are buying new. That is, if you are buying a new AV amp, then just by a better AV amp rather than adding a new Stereo to the New AV amp.

However, with an existing amp, it can be improved with a modest stereo amp. So, that is one option.

The Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T , to my knowledge, are not known for being unbalanced across the tonal spectrum, meaning, they are not an especially bass heavy speaker. Nor are they known for being harsh. In fact, they are highly rated and highly regarded.

In your original request, I assumed you were simply looking for a small speaker that moved less air. The speakers I suggested will all fit that bill. But, big or small, loud is loud. We don't know how loud you are playing, but if it is excessive, big or small speakers, it is still loud.

In AV Receivers, there are Receivers that have a reputation for also being good for music - Marantz, Yamaha, and a few others.

You mention the R300 speakers. Definitely a stunning speakers, but the matching "R" series center is £649. That is a total of a £1649 outlay. You need not do both at once, but ultimately that is going to be your cost.

I would give serious consideration to the B&W CM5 and the FOCAL 800 series bookshelf. These are lower priced with a lower price Center, and are really stunningly clear speakers.

Also, when the too loud problem occurs, is the Subwoofer in the mix? If so, likely that is the problem. Dial back on the Sub a bit to prevent bass from penetrating the walls. Or at critical times when you don't want to annoy the neighbors, run the system without the Sub in 2.0 or 5.0 mode.

Just a few more thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

5. PC1975

PC1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,480
    Thanks Steve,

I actually got rid of my sub (BK 400) because I couldn't make proper use of it so I don't have one at the moment. I have been offered a good deal on the R300's and R200c so if the sale of my own speakers goes through I'll probably go with them.

6. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    I think the entire "R" series are consider pretty impressive speakers. I think there is a thread going on the "R"-series that has gotten so big it has been split into THREE parts.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/1509774-kef-r-series.html

This first thread starts before the speaker were actually available in stores.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/1629432-kef-r-series-part-2-a.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/1789539-kef-r-series-part-3-a.html

The R300 is unique in that it is actually a bookshelf 3-way speaker. It has the 6.5 inch/165mm bass driver with response down to 42hz at -6dB. Then it has the concentric Uni-Q Midrange/Tweeter (5" mid/1" tweeter).

Given the reputation, I would expect the R300 to be very impressive speakers.

Once you get them, please report back and give us your impression. That is always valuable feedback for the group.

Steve/bluewizard

7. Nick1881

Nick1881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I don't think you will be disappointed the the R series, they are very special, but they will be crying out for a better amp.

8. PC1975

PC1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,480
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have sold my speakers and ordered a pair of R300's and a R200c which should be with me by the end of the week. I can't justify buying R100's for rears at the moment so i'll keep an eye on the classifieds and see if I can pick something up on the cheap. Maybe a pair of Q100's if the price is right.

9. PC1975

PC1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,480
    Update:

I had agreed to accept MA GX100 and GX150 at the same price as the Kef R300 and R200c. This offer was due to a three week delay for the Kef's. I originally took the dealer up on his offer but upon reflection decided to go with the original deal so I'm now awaiting delivery of the Kef R300 and R200c which could be a couple of weeks or so.

Glad that I reverted to the original deal and very much looking forward to getting the Kef's. Will leave feedback in the R series thread.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013