£1K Budget, Looking for Big, Decent TV

New Bloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I was an early adopter with big screen TV's, I bought a 42" Sharp 1080p six years ago for £1,300.00 (yep they were that expensive back then!).

I am looking to change and upsize to 46/47" - 60" with a budget of a grand.

My sitting room is rectangular and the TV sits in the middle of one of the long walls. There is a window on the right hand of the TV (about 7 feet away) and there is also light from the kitchen (about 10 feet away).

I didn't go down the route of plasma before as someone said that the front is reflective and if you have a lot of light in your room, this can be a major pain in the rear end.

I will be running Sky HD, Blu-ray and Wii on the set.

A 3D set is not my top priority as I do not have the full Sky package (only movies, not sports) and the blu-ray is not 3D capable.

How about any of these ones???

46" LED - TOSHIBA 46TL963B - £570
60" LED - Samsung UE60EH6000 - £1000
60" LED - Sharp LC60LE636E - £900

50" Plasma - Panasonic Viera TX-P50UT50B - £600
60" Plasma - LG 60PA650T - £880

I'm not too concerned about power consumption, its more towards the reflective surface (would I see the picture on a sunny day or if the sun is shining on the screen. I assume with other aspects like motion blur etc, is this still an issue with LED's?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Plenty of lcds have reflective screens. My current Samsung is as bad or worse than my old plasma

Look at the 50gt50 which is a grand at JL in sale. Review of this and other models incl the sharp in review section. The ut50 is highly reflective. With plasma it is more that the pic gets washed out in bright light

Plenty of lcds have reflective screens. My current Samsung is as bad or worse than my old plasma

Look at the 50gt50 which is a grand at JL in sale. Review of this and other models incl the sharp in review section. The ut50 is highly reflective. With plasma it is more that the pic gets washed out in bright light

As above, LED sets have a glass panel that reflects just as badly as plasma.
The filter on the GT is very good at rejecting ambient light so may do nicely, better set than any LCD for the money by a long way IMO.

I think I'll to go JL and take a couple for a test drive. With the shopfloor being pretty bright, should be able to scope the reflection of the screen. In our living room, the light sources are not directly in front or behind the set, could be something over nothing.

JL are selling at a grand but Electronic Empire are selling it at £913 as an instore price, I assume that JL will match this as its not an "online" price (which is more expensive, its normally the other way around).

You can only ask. Depends which JL you go to

I think I'll to go JL and take a couple for a test drive. With the shopfloor being pretty bright, should be able to scope the reflection of the screen. In our living room, the light sources are not directly in front or behind the set, could be something over nothing.

JL are selling at a grand but Electronic Empire are selling it at £913 as an instore price, I assume that JL will match this as its not an "online" price (which is more expensive, its normally the other way around).

They dont have a physical shop so JL wont price match but you could try:-
http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.p...ucts_id=4359&zenid=s4u1nd4ple960tg959fcoo3737

Except they say they have a store in handsworth which is where total digital are...same place?? However if op not in Birmingham they may not match as could argue that he would never have bought there

Totaldigital seem to have a a different address to Electrical Empire from what i can find, Totaldigital are online and shop and Electrical Empire are online only.

Whether they will price match i dont know, i've seen plenty of pricematches from anywhere around the country to loads of random people who cant be in the same place. As you said, just ask JL. :smashin:

On phone earlier so couldn't post much or link

Electronic Empire have the GT50 with 5 year warranty - instore deal - there is a link to in store which contains an address

Instore Purchase : Electronic Empire, Low price electronics | Plasma TV | Camcorders | Blu Ray Players | Flat Screen TV

Electronic Empire (you call them Electrical Empire in your post though - who don't look to exist :confused:)

105-109 Soho Road
Handsworth
Birmingham
West Midlands
B21 9SP

Their online price is £1226 and instore is £913 which all seems pretty weird, but hey
BRAND NEW PRODUCT (WITH FREE 5 YEAR PANASONIC GUARANTEE ON INSTORE PURCHASE)

I have never heard of them...

Total Digital have mixed feedback from the past (e.g. selling ex display as new if I recall)

Their address is... ooooohhhh

exactly the same...

Contact Us : Total Digital - The Home of Audio Visual Entertainment

And their price for the 50GT50 with in store warranty is higher

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_51&products_id=4359

All this leads me to deduce that they are indeed the self same company

Here's hoping JL get less confused :D I know who I would buy from even if the price is higher...

Last edited:
Well they are the same so it doesn't matter - TD are better known, if the OP is in Birmingham, if not, it may not matter

Taking a step back, will the difference be very obvious with the GT50, you can buy 50 inch plasmas for £500, can it justify spending double on a set that is the same size?

How much of a videophile are you? GT50 is meant to be stunning for blu ray for example, while the Samsungs better motion for sport. The LGs are cheap. Have a read of the review sections and then get to the shops to judge for yourselves (preferably a small retailer with a demo room, rather than Currys and even John Lewis). If you do go to JL, go on a quiet weekday not weekend

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom