Question £1k budget for 50inch tv

GavinC

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi
Looking to upgrade around Boxing Day and have the following background
70% watching tv shows on virgin TiVo box (mixture of hd/sd, kids, drama for wife then football in that order unfortunately)
20% films, either Netflix hd or blu ray (non uhd currently) through a 7 year old pioneer a/v (so non uhd) with some aesthetically nice looking, so allowable, keff speakers!
10% late night gaming

My tv stand is 110cm wide, so the wide legged Samsung 49 7000 is a no-go.
Will plan to upgrade blu ray to uhd and upgrade the amp mid 2018
We sit 6.5 to 7 ft from the display, straight on generally with maybe a 30degree angle most -
Long but narrow room
Set my sight on a 50 inch tv as moving up from a 7 yr old Panasonic 37'' LCD.......would love the 55 lg oled BUT nervous about the size (wife and upscaling), screen burn, and quality as lowest price oled??

With this criteria what would the recommendations be. Am currently considering a Sony 49 9005 (does it upscale well and is os a clunky interface), a Panasonic 50 750 (is it HDR enough and is os old and clunky)
Considering my detailed criteria I would appreciate any feedback, so I don't go into the shop blinkered....many thanks

A few things to consider when upgrading can probably be found in this thread, particularly details about using your existing audio set up and the poor upscaling of SD TV channels on UHD TV's.
UHD vs FHD

I really wouldn't worry about the OLED thing, if you think you can afford one 55" really isn't big for todays standards and they will wipe the floor in value to everything at the same price.

Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom