1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£199 electric screen from Maplin any good?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tux99, Apr 28, 2005.

1. tux99

tux99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I found on www.maplin.co.uk a 2 metre wide matte white electric screen with black border for the really low price of 199 pounds, has anyone here experience with it? I would be interested to know if it's any good as it's only about half the usual price of most electric screens.

See this link:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Mproduct.asp?oc=A00CN

Seems almost too good to be true although on the other hand I always thought that other electric screens are way overpriced compared to the manual ones, I mean how much can a motor cost, surely not 200-300 pounds (the usual difference i found between the manual and electric versions of the same screen)?!

2. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Seems OK if you can live with the square white area. If not then see Sapphire screens thread for little bit more 16:9 electric.

3. tux99

tux99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guido i cant find the 16:9 Sapphire screen you mentioned for a similar price on www.projectorscreen.co.uk, the cheap ones seem to be all square ratio too, and cost more than the maplin one. Can you please tell me the model code you refer too?

Also I don't consider square AR to be a problem, as long as the screen has a stepped locking mechanism (to set optimal height) which the Maplin one has.

4. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Maplin Equivilent Sapphire is the SEWS200 for £195 (electric square)... and same with remote for £225 (exVAT).

The fulll list of models abd screen sizes is: http://www.premier-presentation.co.uk/SCREENSIZES2.htm

The models with WSF are widescreen, ones with an R have a remote. I'd just give them a call for pricing.. I paid 257 for 180 wide 16:9 electric remote delivered.

Re Square, the consensus here seems to be a black border at 16:9 is better to avoid bleeding and reflections into the white area... if you just roll up square to 16:9 then the casing will form top of frame? Also screen wil have to be mounted low or else you will be looking high up if ceiling mounted.

Well thats my tuppence! Happy choosing!