• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

£1800 to spend on LCD, recommendations?

G

Gemz1982

Hi

I have £1800 to spend on an LCD television. What would you recommend for this price?

I will be using it to play dvds
for connecting to pc in future so dvi rather then vga input
and sky
future proof

had looked into the Hitachi LD7200 in the past

like the look of the samungs

is it worth waiting for future models (obviously there will always be better things out) but ones due soon, if anyone knows of future releases to hold out for please could you recommend and what their benefits are.

Many Thanks

glen8

Established Member
My first choice would be the 42" panasonic 600 plasma, second choice would be the 40" sony v2000 lcd

There are supposed to be new models from toshiba, sony and samsung around septemeber time but nothing confirmed.

Can't ever be futureproof as all the major players seem to be releasing new models every six months now.

G

Gemz1982

sorry, totally forgot to put the size....

32" or 37"

I was first looking into a plasma, but i liked the hitachi LCD version

okay.... putting future proof to one side.... is it worth holding out for a unit with more then one HDMI inputs

G

Gemz1982

every six months!! imagine if you could afford to keep up with that..... !!

ok, thanks, i'll have a look at those two models, but there a bit too big.

G

Gemz1982

i'll have a look into this one and see what i think.
thanks

G

Gemz1982

the hitachi 32LD9700 might be worth looking at when it comes out in september (by the looks of things)

phatspider

Established Member
Think i'm gonna go for the Panny - had originally decided on the Sony, then considered the Tosh, but now i'm back with the Panny as it seems to perform better with an SD signal.

If you have an Egg Card, you can get the 42" through Dixons with discount codes etc. for about 1430

G

Gemz1982

i know its personal preference but whats your opinion for choosing plasma rather then LCD if thats what you think

phatspider

Established Member
i checked out the sony with HD and it as stunning. But with an SD signal from the built in freeview it was only ok. Nipped over the road to the Panasonic shop and they had the 42px600 running SD and it looked brilliant. HD was even better - probably not quite as good as the Sony but very close. And given i'm not gonna line sky's pockets for HD quite yet, i figured maybe the Panny is better for me right now. That said - i'm still not 100% at a decision.

I think ive ruled out the Tosh so down to two now. Am keen to see if the Sony V2500 materialises, or how cheap the 40X2000 will be. The thing thats swaying me to those is the 1920x1280 resolution.

Q

Quickbeam

Plasmas have better blacks, contrast, and more lifelike colours. LCDs (in general) have more pixels.;)

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
Gemz1982 said:
i know its personal preference but whats your opinion for choosing plasma rather then LCD if thats what you think
Better Picture thats all really LCDs are getting better but the best plasmas still wipe the floor with them at 32" your only choice is LCD at the moment (for flat panel) at 37 and 42 you have a choice it depends on uasgae and connections and environment but i yet to see an LCD that impresses me in the 37-42 size the only LCD that has impressed is the 65" Sharp GD1E (£13k)

nikz06

Established Member
Plasmas will also be able to handle motion movements better, less motion bluring and artifacts, but it does depend on the source. the PX60 or Px600 range is a good plasma range add SD to it it will look better than the LCDs out there.

I

Italights

Better an Lcd if you're going to put a PC into it.Plasma is difficult on the eyes with PC graphics

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom