£1500 - what to buy ?

geewhizz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
£1500 - what to buy ?
so what i am looking for is a plasma to watch tv, cable, play dvds, and xbox.
so what can i buy for that sort of money.
all i ask for is a half decent picture.

p.s. please dont say " for another £ 100 you can get a ''''''''''''''''' "
£ 1500 max. :smashin:

If we are being that strict on the price, I would say there are 3 possibilities:

32" - Hitachi 32PD5200
37" - Panasonic TH-37PW7
42" - LG RZ-42PX11

The Hitachi and LG both come with tuners and speakers, the Panasonic doesn't (if that matters).

... but if you go for the Panny you can actually get it for around £1250 including one SCART terminal, and a decent home cinema DVD kit for the rest of your budget... :thumbsup:

need to add a mount tho... wall bracket or table stand which will push a panny PW6/7 right to budget without speakers................ but if you are prepared to spend £1500 on a panel and buy the extra bits you can have so much more

Yes, the 42" is out of budget with the accessories. But the 37" isn't - Digital point do it with SCART at £1312 (you can add a stand at <£200), with SCART and wall mount £1449. And other dealers do have deals that work out low enough to clear the budget.

It just depends on what you want - all three listed could be worthwhile options, depending on the circumstances.

Hornydragon, I've got the £1500 to spend on a panel, the question is, what other bits will I need, a plasma enhancer/scaler and surround sound ????

Hornydragon, I've got £2000- £2500 in all to spend, I'm lookins seriously at the th42pe30 from JL,(I'll need the stand aswell) the price seems to be tumbling downward at the moment.

As I used to be into hi fi I was wondering at buying a panel only and adding on the tuner, surround sound etc to get a better package.

I currently have a middle of the road toshiba DVD, a digibox and thats it! as we only Watch TV and DVD's
Looking to get a whole system really but don't want to get a tV with all sorts of gubbins in which I'll be bypassing to get a good picture/soound.
Cheers,
Vilaubas

Right, I have purchased the LG MZ42PZ45V at RS at £1399.99 and its fantastic. (thats the web price). :thumbsup:

I have compared this to the panny and its far better overall.

I recommend you get this screen and shop around for the desktop stand and cables on ebay and alike.

GOOD LUCK :lesson:

H

If I was to go for the PW7 what would I need to go with it?

I need a full system so how will the screen, surround sound and DVD & digibox all go together?

From what I can see I'll need to buy some sort of card for the screen to make it a TV....(which some seem to have bundled with the PW7) is this just a basic operating card?
can you clue me up on what exactly you need with a screen only, and what scalers rgb etc have to do with it.

I take it from the threads that scart is'nt the best way to connect up a system??

Not that bothered about the price as I started off looking to spend £1500 and am now up to £2500, but to be honest as long as I get something that I'm still happy with in 2 years I'll be more than happy.

NEC VR5

but it's ONLY £85 more ;-)

(dives for cover....)

Seriously, prolly the best rival for the PW7. Has HDCP DVI, can (allegedly) do 50hz 720p/1080i (for SkyHD). Silver. Lots of connectivity built in. I *know* it's over-budget but it's worth a look. Bit of buzz about it on other forum threads atm, worth following the developments.

Or get an LG/PW6.

Food for thought but I'm trying to narrow it down to the PW7 and TH42.

I can see I get a single scart with most of the PW7 deals, but what is a JS RGB>VGA ? what does it do, and how much are they.

As far as the tuner goes will this be the digibox, if so the one I have is an Asda special, is there any merit in getting a good one??

The pioneer VSX-C402-S AV reciever and canton speakers are exactly what I'm after.
wilL the Floor Stand from the TH42 fit the PW7?

So the way I see it I get the screen, pop in the single scart socket, that then connects to the rgb.vga converter which then goes to the back (output) of the AV reciever (is this just another name for a surround sound amp?.)
The Digibox and DVD players are then plugged into the input of the surround sound amp.......which I use to select either Digibox (TV) or DVD.......clear as mud.

Vilaubas said:
I can see I get a single scart with most of the PW7 deals, but what is a JS RGB>VGA ? what does it do, and how much are they.
it takes RGB scart and coverts it VGA (panny scart ius the week point of the PW6/7 range picture can be soft via scart
Vilaubas said:
As far as the tuner goes will this be the digibox, if so the one I have is an Asda special, is there any merit in getting a good one??
YES PQ is only as good as source but not knowing the Asda Special it might do the job........
Vilaubas said:
The pioneer VSX-C402-S AV reciever and canton speakers are exactly what I'm after.
wilL the Floor Stand from the TH42 fit the PW7?
not certain the PE30 stand would look silly but the PA20 floor stand will and looks good
Vilaubas said:
So the way I see it I get the screen, pop in the single scart socket, that then connects to the rgb.vga converter which then goes to the back (output) of the AV reciever
ouput of 402 to RGB>VGA box into RGB input on screen (all sources need to be RGB so no VCRs) scart board not needed if all sources are RGB JS boxes deals with them
Vilaubas said:
(is this just another name for a surround sound amp?.)
YES
Vilaubas said:
The Digibox and DVD players are then plugged into the input of the surround sound amp.......which I use to select either Digibox (TV) or DVD.......clear as mud.
very clear mate ;)

I did a couple of searches for the stands, the one i like has the glass shelves but seems a bit expensive at £500, is this the one you said will fit?
The rest of the things look like this If Ive got it right....

Panasonic TH-42PW7B - digital direct £1493

Premium VDC VGA lead 2m. £ 35. (JS)

Lead from convertor to surround sound amp- (I'm assuming this is a normal scart so say £30 aswell)

RGB to Plasma VGA Converter (JS) £120

pioneer VSX-C402 Hi-fi bitz £209

Canton speakers - not sure where to get these from but the floor standers look like they suit me better than the ones an stalks.

total- £1893, (not counting the stand which I'm not sure of )

Vilaubas.

As a matter of interest, geewhizz, I was looking at that deal at Robert Whyte as well - does it come with any board or stand or is it just the bog standard panel?

And is the five year warranty pretty comprehensive? it's certainly tempting...

Does the NEC not have a scart option then? How would one watch Freeview on this then (apart from shelling out on a VGA convertor).

gordy

Not to sure, me thinks its a just a panel, spoke to them yesterday and told him i have sky ( ntl cable ) dvd and xbox, he said it will all work but i would need an amplifier and speakers, going down on saturday for a demo of it and will ask him hunnas a questions. and if its good i will buy it.
so will let you know how i got on.

gordy said:
As a matter of interest, geewhizz, I was looking at that deal at Robert Whyte as well - does it come with any board or stand or is it just the bog standard panel?

And is the five year warranty pretty comprehensive? it's certainly tempting...

The warranty they offer does not cover transport costs, its a return to base warranty so it basically costs you to send it back if it develops a problem, i doubt its cheap to transport.

There was a thread not long ago about it here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174426&page=2&pp=15&highlight=Robert+Whyte

I am in a similar position. Here's my personal take on the situation:-

After spending weeks reading these forums and looking at screens in various stores I have decided that Plasma screens below the 3 grand mark are simply not good enough when compared to the new DLP rear projection screens on offer. As such I am taking the plunge and plan on buying the Toshiba WM46WP - a 46 inch true high definition screen, for 1500 quid. Yes, it is 30 cm deep rather than 11cm and yes the bulb will need replacing in 5 years time at 200 quid but its 46 inches, has an amazing picture quality and has an HDMI interface for hi-def TV.
If a plasma existed with the same specifications for under 2 grand I would buy it but I'm pretty sure there isn't such a screen.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom