£1500 to spent on a plasma

Lev

Standard Member
Reaction score
hey guys

i have £1500 to spent on a 42" plasma panel and unfortunately i got a lot of demands.

i'm a BIG movie fan with a large dvd collection of both ntsc and pal discs and to make things worst a lot of those are classic b/w samurai movies (my favorite genre).

i'm also a gamer and a pc dork so a ps3, x360 and htpc will be hooked up on it.

my demands are:

excellent overall performence (duh)
pal & ntsc compatible
excellent black levels (black&white movies)
excellent non-hd dvd playback (large pal&ntsc dvd collection)
atleast 2 x hdmi slots
1:1 pixelmapping on vga or dvi

what would be a good choice for me or should i go with a lcd panel?

Ok Lion

I guess the 42PX600 is your choice mate :cool:

Perhaps the Pio437?? :rolleyes:

Cheers :hiya:

Panasonic all the way.

so you guys agree that plasma is the way to go in my case?

i've checked the dutch panasonic website and only pv and pa models are listed there.

is the pv600 the newer brother of the px600 here in the netherlands?

on dutch price websites the px600 and pv600 are both around 2000 euros

I'm in the market for a plasma, too - theoretically I could stretch to £1500-1600, so I'm curious as to responses in this thread.

I must say, I'm fast becoming disillusioned with the Panasonic sets on the market. I checked them out in Currys last night - this is not in any way a _good_ representation, BUT the fact that they were running a crappy analogue aerial signal through one of them proved to me just how horribly over-processed the Panny's picture is for SD material (and no doubt why people are having such problems with these "purple snakes")

on dutch price websites the px600 and pv600 are both around 2000 euros

The PV is the European version of the PX (UK) model. It has different ranges of frequencies on its tuner - e.g on the Irish model it has VHF and UHF in the PAL-I range, whereas the UK model has a tuner only on the UHF frequency.

In the Netherlands, PAL B, D, G or K are used, so unless you have a separate tuner or the PX60 has a modified tuner, you should opt for the PV model to ensure compatibility with your local cable feed.

EDIT: Note: Some PX models do have PAL B/K, so check beforehand.

Must you have speakers and a tuner? 99% of PC users are better off with a PH series, not a TV. The screen itself is well within budget, but you'd have to be careful with the extras, connectivity etc. It's worth it if you can, better overall performance, better processing, more PC resolutions, you'd want a DVI board and a HDCP compliant DVI switch, then no need of any HDMI inputs at all. Better still, a switching/upconverting AV amp. But you may already have surround sound?

I must say, I'm fast becoming disillusioned with the Panasonic sets on the market.

It was most probably a 42PX60 that you viewed :eek: Don't think the PX600 :nono: IMHO this model leaves a lot to be desired and I guess you'd better off spending some extra quids for the Hitachi 9700 , PX600 or Pio427 :thumbsup:

Hope this helps :hiya:

For x-box boys, the Pana PH series are currently the only sensible displays to support 1080p on analogue, BTW

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom